The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LPG Conversion......

Whitesupraboy2

Ok i want some technical guys to help me on this. I have spent last few days at work reading up on this and all articles and companies say no power loss or damage can be done. I want to know what everyone thinks of this being done on a MkiV supra, Ebay had a Mkiii for sale wit conversion. Im seriously considering having this done as it costs bout £1500 for conversion and it take bout a year or so to recoup the money in petrol costs. I am a NA, but will this limit me on mods or should the mods still increase power as if it was running on unleaded??

Im not sure on the technical side of things, but there will definately be a power loss of ~10%.

My dads had the conversion done on his 4.3l V6 Chevy Blazer, I can feel the difference on that when I switch between LPG and Petrol. The effect on an NA Supra would be very noticeable.

Also, where is the tank going? To make the range practical you would have to lose your back seats.

Looked at this for my TT as well. The injectors and electronics will be much simpler with a NA and the systems do get better every year. Some of the old ones were not friendly in traffic and really cold weather. My lift share to work has it on his 4*4 and it does stall and die now and again.

Main problem on the Sup is where to put the tank. The spare wheel space is not suitable with the large boss in the centre and the only option would then be a small tank behind the seats. This would be @ 45L tank and as you can only fill to 80% with LPG that gives a tank capacity of 36L (at say 20MPG) = @170miles per fill up. You will also loose 1/2 of your boot (The useful bit where you can put tall things.

For me it wasn't the best option.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

I can't see why anyone would want to do this conversion!! For £1500 you could buy a cheap runaround, and insure it and have change!!!

Don't do it......:eek:

for £1500 i can not buy a cheap run around and have change thats the problem as it would be a second policy for me with no yrs no claims on it. Looked at that already a 1.1 fiesta bout £200 or £300 and insurance coz of no yrs no claims is bout £900!! Plus stuff would naturally go wrong being a ford!! it is just plain stupid to do it for me with insurance so high! It was just a idea, im not after anything wit particular good fuel consumption, but am always after saving money.

The only benefit of getting old - cheaper car insurance!! wish i was 40 :innocent:

sinbad - I havent had chance to look at what new systems are like compared to old, but will have a look. I may also go down to Mr Toyota to see what they honestly think about this. as for space havent got that far,but either the boot disapears which i dont use, or maybe back seats. A nice chrome tank for a bit of BLING BLING in the back.

Thanx all for feedback keep it coming, i knew it wouldnt be popular for all power freaks!! :p also of course if it does run bit lean i will not being doing it,no way im risking ruining a engine for it

Originally posted by eyefi

i saw a car (supra) on autotrader a while back that had had this done. no idea if it was any good, but it has been done before.

Yeah I remember seeing one on autotrader when I was looking to buy a supe too. White mkiv IIRC.

Don't do it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I admit I have very limitied knowledge of this, but an LPG conversion can't be done (not for £1500 anyway) on a turbo because, and this is where you can all correct me, the LPG is delivered at a constant pressure, i.e. there won't be an increase in lpg delivered when you go onto boost therefore I believe that you would then be running very lean.

On some of the newer diesel lpg (yes it can be done) conversions it is done by mixing the lpg with the diesel and not by running one or the other indepentantly.

Originally posted by Simon

Please correct me if I'm wrong and I admit I have very limitied knowledge of this, but an LPG conversion can't be done (not for £1500 anyway) on a turbo because, and this is where you can all correct me, the LPG is delivered at a constant pressure, i.e. there won't be an increase in lpg delivered when you go onto boost therefore I believe that you would then be running very lean.

On some of the newer diesel lpg (yes it can be done) conversions it is done by mixing the lpg with the diesel and not by running one or the other indepentantly.

I was told it could be done on Turbo cars no problem. The TT setup was going to cause some concern but a call to their HQ and a few days later they were confident it could be done (they needed a better ECU)

Still wouldn't recommend it tho. On experience not just opinion.

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

if i was a Turbo i wouldnt even of looked into it. I dont think im gonan do it,it was just a idea. Maybe if the systems have improved alot in few years then who knows!! anyway i suspect the Turbo bug will get me within a couple of years

They have improved a lot but they can still be dodgy and cut out going round corners. I sometimes have the pleasure of driving LPG Proton's about.

• 8 months later...

I have enquired about LPG, I have been quoted £1600 and there would be no noticeable power loss.

The guy who quoted me has converted Imprezas and Evos and has been doing it for 14 years.

Imagine having the power, looks and the low fuel costs as if you were running a family car.

It would pay for it self in just over a year in what you would save, I would only do it if I was going to keep the car long term.

Originally posted by usman786

I have enquired about LPG, I have been quoted £1600 and there would be no noticeable power loss.

The guy who quoted me has converted Imprezas and Evos and has been doing it for 14 years.

Imagine having the power, looks and the low fuel costs as if you were running a family car.

It would pay for it self in just over a year in what you would save, I would only do it if I was going to keep the car long term.

Don't believe the hype (don't, don't, don't belive the hype... sorry got carried away there). I have driven LPG Proton's, yeah ok not quite in the same league but there IS a noticable difference even in that. I've also been in a LPG Volvo, and again a noticable drop in performance. I would have thought this would be even more noticable in a Supra. Also take into account the cutting out round tight corners (in my experience of driving the Proton's anyway), sluggish or just failing to switch from petrol to gas or vice versa. Personally I wouldn't trust it not to detonate my engine on a high performance car like the supe. But I'm sure we'd be curious to know of your experiences if you do go for it.