The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pics from TX2k6

bromy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there making a few rule changes this time and making it very hard for someone only running in 2 events to win it but i guess that will also effect the likes of Dee as well? i think a dark horse this year will be Ron Kiddell as he runs in the 9's a good top speed and always does well in the handling track ;)

I believe there making a few rule changes this time and making it very hard for someone only running in 2 events to win it but i guess that will also effect the likes of Dee as well?

I'm more concerned about the 'street legal' and 'pump fuel' aspect of the rules but yes they have changed the scoring system so that someone entering all the events has more chance than a drag car just entering 2.

It's difficult to police but I'd really like to see a control fuel being used and an proper team of MOT type people there to ensure all the cars are fully street legal when taking part.

Anyway this is going off topic - the TX2k6 weekend looks like a fantastic event, they are drag racing today I believe?

what was wrong with his car at TOTB?

like a few other cars he only ran in the 1/4 and top speed and not the handling track which to some which includes me to a certain degree doesnt really make the car "the best" as it should be of all 3 events?

what was wrong with his car at TOTB?

Would it have passed an MOT? Emissions OK on the fuel being used? Was the fuel from a garage or was he using special stuff?

BTW I'm not trying to take anything away from the car here, it's an awesome machine and great to watch, it's more a problem with the way the TOTB rules are written and enforced.

Would it have passed an MOT? Emissions OK on the fuel being used? Was the fuel from a garage or was he using special stuff?

BTW I'm not trying to take anything away from the car here, it's an awesome machine and great to watch, it's more a problem with the way the TOTB rules are written and enforced.

aha i see what you mean michael,the rules are getting stretched by most of the big power cars now,would be interesting to see how many of the sub 10 sec cars would actually pass an MOT in the spec they turn up to track in?

you cant tell me keith buying all his parts.someone sent him a propshaft to test out.its all B/S he does well and it reflects well on his sponsors.a small guy on street would not stand a chance against the pros.why dont they do a section for anything goes.

have you seen they dyno thread loads of them using the GT47-80 GT47-88

Any fuel is allowed Michael. It'd be too hard and too slow to test for on the day anyway, and a control fuel is another can of worms - if the engine lets go, blame the control fuel and sue the event organisers...

The tyres are interesting though, I'm sure some non-street legal slick drag tyres were being used. Don't wanna see emissions tests though, I bet not a single car there runs CATs :D

I'd like to see them compete in all events without any tyre/wheel combo changes allowed ;)

-Ian

i started to type a full response but to be honest the thread is not about all this so i wont :)

just to say back in response to the original thread it looks an amazing meeting and its a shame we dont do more interclub meets in this country to get some really tasty machines together

Mike

Any fuel is allowed Michael.

Does Chris send you a different copy of the the rules then? ;)

The ones I have from last year say:

Fuel- Use of road fuels is expected and encouraged. There is a Shell garage within 15 minutes of the venue that sells Optimax. Any competitor wishing to bring large fuel containers to site should notify us for permission, and use an approved sealed storage container for the fuel. A designated area is available for refueling and all fuel should be stored in that supervised area.

I read that as "we expect you to use fuel from a garage but you can bring spare in a container as long as you keep it in the area we have put aside". I guess some people see "use any fuel you like".

Would a race fuel pass an MOT for a road vehicle? From sniffing the air last year I'd say a few cars were buying special Optimax ;)

I guess you could map a car to pass an MOT on race fuel but would you use that same map on the day of the event?

I suspect a lot of spectator cars wouldn't pass an MOT on the day though so it's a tricky one :)

The wheel and tyres thing could be interesting.

Is that why cars like Ryan Woons with at nearly full road weight are running around a second quicker in the 1/4 than Keiths stripped out R32?

this was not a US bashing post but from experience the bhp quoted by them is alot more than anywhere else with the same spec.

we are catching up to them with the old 1/4 mile but like i said the race strips in the US are ALOT better prepared than over here, ive heard that shakespear is pretty well prepared but ive never been there.

it does make me wonder why you bring a car from japan with a 8 second 1/4 mile proven record wont even make the 9's over here as many people have found out!!! take the top secret R33 which is back up for sale!?

i know the skyline world is looking very good for this year and will be getting really close to the best in the world, how are the supras doing? (not a sarcastic question by the way) apart from Dee do we have any other big supras running?

from my own point of view i would really like to run my 300zx and make some good times, the fastest 300zx in this country so far believe it or not is a high 12 second run!! so i hope to get in the low 11's and hey who knows even the high 10's ;)

Mike

I know what you're saying, but at the end of the day they back up their big bhp claims with decent 1/4 mile times.

Cant comment about the Skylines, but if you're refering to that one owned by m6beg or sommat? when i first saw that at the pod it didnt look too healthy, more like it needed a lot of tweaking to get running right, last I heard it was low 10s?

Thats a car problem, you cant blame the track for that, there is a world of difference between an 8 sec car and a 9 sec car and even more with a consistent 10 sec car.

The US is just way more into big power and dragging cars like nobodies business, hence the figures.

look at supra forums its a different world.look at all the cars running HUGE GT 47`s. they have some serious cars over there.lots of people pushing them further all the time.that marco is going for a GT55-91 (1520 rwhp dyno pull).

crd have done well running 9.867 @ 144.17 mph coasting over the line with broken box.think they will do the biz over here.

I know what you're saying, but at the end of the day they back up their big bhp claims with decent 1/4 mile times.

Cant comment about the Skylines, but if you're refering to that one owned by m6beg or sommat? when i first saw that at the pod it didnt look too healthy, more like it needed a lot of tweaking to get running right, last I heard it was low 10s?

Thats a car problem, you cant blame the track for that, there is a world of difference between an 8 sec car and a 9 sec car and even more with a consistent 10 sec car.

The US is just way more into big power and dragging cars like nobodies business, hence the figures.

Ahh the infamous Jun Lemon :D again another "proven" 9 second car which yeh your right never ran right and Mick has had to spend a fortune to get it right and it still hasnt got into the 10's in this country...so far

I think Keiths R32 is going to be running a GT47 or similar :)

Oh - did he originally import it?

Kinda reminds me of that red Supra with the APR-like wing that was a low 10 sec car, first time it ran it wasnt setup correctly and coughing a spluttering out a 14.5!

But now its been looked after and fit with decent rubber, a year l8r it ran a 10.4!

you cant tell me keith buying all his parts.someone sent him a propshaft to test out.its all B/S he does well and it reflects well on his sponsors.a small guy on street would not stand a chance against the pros.why dont they do a section for anything goes.

MONKEYmark

Yes I have a few sponsors now but that is all down to all the money and the

hard work that I have had to put into the car for the last 3 years,to get it where it is today.People don't just sponsor you for the fun of it you know.

for you to say I have made a fortune from selling mugs and T-shirts is a fcuking joke ha ha ha. at totb I sold about £100 worth that is not going to go far is it,when the fuel for the transporter cost me about £400 that weekend.

If I need parts for my car I have to buy them myself,I have sold my old parts

to help go towards buying the new ones,yes Torqline gave me a prop to test so what,I did not ask them fot it they came to me with the offer.

Just to let you know I don't own my own company I work a 37hr week

and I don't have a endless budget to go racing FACT.