The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra TT v BMW M5

Guest jasonc

... to then knock a con rod and die 2 months ago, it came out of the garage about 6 weeks ago and lo and behold it has happened again just 6-7 weeks from having the same work being done.

. . . they are both Turbo'd cars and ive been told this is the source of all problems.

If that was all from the same garage/mechanic, I think I've just found your problem.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one of the newer M5s run in the 12's at Santa Pod - totally standard apparently.

The older style E34 ones are nice enough but miles behind the current one in dynamics and performance.

http://www.bmwm5.com/models/e34/alper.jpg

VS

http://www.bmwm5.com/models/e39/nym5fram.jpg

I would never do up a 3S-GTE engine, new short motor is the only answer. I have yet to see a good recon.

The M5, my mate rick had one, the engine died @ 45,000 miles so he got shod rather than fixed it. I think his was about 2001 or 2002.

Supra has the best engine by far, buy a good car from a well rated seller, look after it, the guys in here will help you with all the advice, and be the coolest thing on the road. :)

If you find that a MRT is costing you a pretty penny to run, you can't afford to run a V8 M5. Big heavy cars with crap brakes, eat tyres and clutches and double vanos on each cylinder bank.

You really ought to by an M5 with an extended BMW warrantee, which you can renew every year. BMW have just put the prices up on these though.

A chap on the other forum has bills for £15,000 for the last 12 months- luckily for him most of it was covered under that expensive warrantee, which can't be renewed when the car reaches 100k.

I agree with Gaz on affordable issue, all performance car let alone super car cost a lot to run so be prepare and have some cash reserve.

The M5 is about 300kg more than the supra according to supercar.net, 0-60 for supra is 5.0s where M5 is 4.8s so on paper M5 is heavy but because of the extra power it gain acceleration on supra?

Crap brake may be as I never have a BMW m5 but the jap spec brake is pretty poor compare to the UK spec too. BMW have engine problem so FSH with BMW warranty is a must where supra engine is bullet proof until we starting to add stuff to it :p

better compare a stock M5 with a stock supra here or else single turbo and BPU kick in and there is no return.

Guest jasonc

I had a drive of the M5 this weekend and found it nice, but much different from my MR2 T in power delivery i mean. So i guess i'm going to have to go out in or be taken out in a Supra TT (Any Volunteers :) - Am in Manchester Area ). I'm so confussed of what to go for now as i liked the M5 but didn't find it very aggressive in the sence of the way it delivered the power. But i'm guessing that is due to the weight of the car.

Jason

I had a drive of the M5 this weekend and found it nice, but much different from my MR2 T in power delivery i mean. So i guess i'm going to have to go out in or be taken out in a Supra TT (Any Volunteers :) - Am in Manchester Area ). I'm so confussed of what to go for now as i liked the M5 but didn't find it very aggressive in the sence of the way it delivered the power. But i'm guessing that is due to the weight of the car.

Jason

Did you switch it on the higher power full BHP mode? Normally it's restricted. Saw this on Top Gear by the way! :)

Guest jasonc

supRo: Yes i changed it into SPORT mode which does make a differance.

npotts: I would love to go out in yours. I'll PM you to try and arrange when your avilable. Thanks Mate !!

tbourner: To be honest i don't think the M5 has that much torque for a V8, from what i've seen, it has 369 lb/ft and 400bhp.

With the supra is good excuse to exclude my in laws when ever they are around but I am thinking more and more about starting my family where push chair and comfortable ride may have to come first. The rough ride of the supra is slowly doing my girlfriend in the head :)

Our 11 month old (well a year on Thursday the 9th) loves my car, or is really bored with it.

When he's awake, he's looking though the gap in the two seats, the other 90% of the time he's asleep.. ;)

The misses just got rid of her Hyndai Coupe and got a new shape Mondeo.. The boot on that is amazing.. She didn't want to sell, but unless we took the two cars and sent our luggage on ahead, we couldn't go anywhere for more then a few hours!!!!

tbourner: To be honest i don't think the M5 has that much torque for a V8, from what i've seen, it has 369 lb/ft and 400bhp.

No but I meant it's a flatter curve - on torque and power - so there's no big bumps that make it feel like it's going faster.

Also I suppose the weight and size of it and it being a luxury car rather than a sportscar make it 'seem' slower.

i have quite a lot of experience driving the m5 the 400bhp 2000(x) plate model

it is a very fast car lots of power right through the range. m5 vs supra. well i am reaching similar speeds on my roads in my decat uk spec 350bhp(?) but i think the m5 has the edge .till i get the boost controller on am running 0.9 bar, at the moment the m5 is miles better handling than the supra which has bilstein eibach set up. although i guess its down to the 19" wheels.ride goes to the m5 no comparison. i am sure the supra will be fair quicker at bpu as m5s seem to acheive about 110mph after the standing 1/4 where supes are hitting 115+. you cant begin to compare the new model 2006 bmw sport flagship against the 13 year old toyota sports unless its in real drag mode.but as a road car no chance the new bmw is so complete