The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£6.99 Well Spent in Ebay Vehicle Status Check!

Soop Dogg

Did you notice in the last pic how worn the steering wheel was. There is no way this car has 55k on the clock. I've just sold my uk spec with 110k on the clock and the steering was in much better condition.

I would guess this car has done in excess of 150k. :rolleyes:

Zed, Steering wheel is not really a good indicator of the real mileage.

I have a low mileage import, which, due to a heavy handed "renovation" tried on the wheel after it had sat at the docks for a while, completely screwed it up. Looks like it has done 250k.....Chunks out of it and all sorts....

A better indicator is to feel for any lips on the rear brake discs, if you think they are the originals...

Lots of things to check, sterrting wear is one thing, seat belts being loose is another, general bodywork condition, engine bay condition, leather seats/even cloth ware etc, and how tight everything feels when you're driving it.

Andrew, do you have a service history of some description to validate your low mileage?

Lots of things to check, sterrting wear is one thing, seat belts being loose is another, general bodywork condition, engine bay condition, leather seats/even cloth ware etc, and how tight everything feels when you're driving it.

Andrew, do you have a service history of some description to validate your low mileage?

No, but then sometimes you don't need it.

I have bought a lot of cars since 1967. I was also in the trade and used to buy a lot of cars from auction etc...

I can't verify my mileage as such (very hard with imports), its that sometimes you just know (from all of the points you made above, which is sometimes far more pertinent than an overseas history which can be faked).

I am the first UK owner, and apparently there was one Jap owner before that (I suppose I could write to him if neccessary)

Also Lucifer has seen the car.. he will verify the overall condition (as not being high mileage)..

Haven't we already been through this one?

With the 8 previous owners and dodgy mileage?

Why would anyone bother to pay for a check?

Well that would be because I haven't had much time on here in the last week and missed the relevant thread, AND I was interested in getting hold of a UK 6-speed at a good price.

And I guess because I was a little suspicious and wasn't going to part with cash without first checking it out.

See? T'aint rocket science!

Hi all

I'm the guy who entered the winning bid on the car you've all been discussing! Am in the undecided state of whether to go through with it at mo for obvious reasons. I am now aware of the ebay HPI check details and have given the seller a chance to prove the car is worthy. I was aware of the total loss, but was given the impression it was due to a theft. Does anyone know of a vehicle check that gives better detail and lists what category the write off is (cat d, c etc). I personally have no problem with a cat d if the price reflects that and the car drives straight/panels fit etc. Been there done it.

My concern was mainly over the mileage knowing the history is a bit patchy. There is a chance that this is a typo mixup according to information from the seller. I'm awaiting proper proof along with potentially further history through the supplying dealer (from the seller). I disagree with peoples conclusions regarding the steering wheel. You don't scuff a wheel in one place like that through continued driving (with your hand on top of the wheel - 9 different driving styles remember!). I put that down to a ring or crook lock damage or similar. Needs checking I grant you.

I am mainly confused with regards your comments on the value of the car. People seem to regularly comment on the high value of these uk cars (£10k+?? if genuine) yet this one is deemed expensive at less than 70% of the usual value. I am in no way an ameteur with regards cars and I appreciate this one is well worth thorough scrutiny (I also have an ex TDI Engineer to aid inspection), but assuming it checks out OK with extra info and inspection, does everyone really believe that its not worth the time of day at £7.1k with a cat d to its name?

Please don't take this as me defending the car or critising anyones opinions - I am just trying to reopen discussion to verify if the London - Swansea drive is worth the petrol to check it out or if I should walk away now.

Appreciate your opinions and apologies for such a long 1st timer thread!

Martin

Cheers for the speedy response!!

I agree with your comments whole heartily. I am looking to get more confirmation with regards the mileage and try to interpret how much the seller has lied/been efficient with the truth. I'm hoping he will come forward with a detailed report (otherwise I will do it before I view) explaining/validating the mileage. Without it I'm not going to waste my time.

Frustrating situation as I've been searching for a sensibly priced low mileage Supra UK manual for years on and off. They are pretty elusive creatures!

...I've been searching for a sensibly priced low mileage Supra UK manual for years on and off. They are pretty elusive creatures!

Keep looking :search:

This one is not worth much. The old saying goes: if in doubt, walk away. There are just too many question marks here.

If it was for sale at £3K-£4K then it would make sense, but it isn't.

There are plenty of clean, good examples out there if you shop carefully.

Don't get stuck too much on the 'UKSpec' thing, or even the 'manual' obsession, go drive late VVTi supras and see how they feel.

They won't have the salt damage, that's for sure.

(and I defy you to find a more firm supporter of UKSpec on this forum :D )

There is no way that a car is worth 70% less if its on hpi!

I think what 4packet said suggests that it would be worth 30% less, not 70%

I have also owned a cat D car in the past ( not my ex supe! ) and at the right price and in the right condition it would still be worth considering. Remember, when you come to sell, the same questions will be going through the head of any potential buyer and it will have to be very keenly priced because of that fact. I've seen high mileage, straight, supes go for less than 7K.

If it looks like 55k is genuine then i'd still try to knock a few hundred off that price, if that's possible.:)

F*cking complete lying twat then really is my approximation of him. He so knows he is trying to sell a lemon here. Why would he come over all indignant like that and not defend himself? I f*ckin hate pr*cks like this. I feel real bad every time I sell a car in case a stone chip I didn't notice is picked up after the sale. Someone that deliberately sells a car with stacks more miles on and undisclosed insurance damage is a twat of the highest order and deserves burning. Read that and be aware that we are watching for this car now c8ck head.

F*cking complete lying twat then really is my approximation of him. He so knows he is trying to sell a lemon here. Why would he come over all indignant like that and not defend himself? I f*ckin hate pr*cks like this. I feel real bad every time I sell a car in case a stone chip I didn't notice is picked up after the sale. Someone that deliberately sells a car with stacks more miles on and undisclosed insurance damage is a twat of the highest order and deserves burning. Read that and be aware that we are watching for this car now c8ck head.

A fair point well made!!!

:)