The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FSE Fuel Regulator

Alex

With those FSE Fuel Regulator / Booster, if I am running the correct mix (fuel to air before I fit it) Will I end up running rich all the time when I fit one? Or does it just give the system more flexibility to cope when the demand exceeds the stock capability?

Ie does it pump in more fuel at a higher pressure or the same fuel at a higher pressure.

I think it increases fuel pressure to the injectors, so the ECU will be opening them for the same amount of time as before, but as the fuel feed is at a higher pressure more fuel will enter the combustion chamber.

I think "rising rate" comes into it somewhere as well, but I can't remember exactly what that means .  . something like as fuel demand increases (eg under WOT and full boost), it increases the pressure still further.

I have one, but I don't yet know how it works.  It does appear to contain a vacuum diaphragm though, fed from the manifold, and the arrangement of the piping attached to it suggests that as manifold vacuum increases, it could open up the flow of fuel even further.  I don't know how it increases the pressure, though.

-Ian

I believe the FSE can pump at above 42psi instead of the stock 34psi but I don't understand if it always pumps at higher pressure or just when it needs to.

Hmm thanks for your input so far...what I'm trying to aviod is having to re-map the fuel because of it as I can't really afford a S-AFC right now!

The FSE regulator is an adjustable fuel regulator and restricts the return flow from the fuel rail to the tank below a preset/adjustable limit, thus increasing the pressure in the fuel rail and thus when the injectors open they flow more fuel.

FSE claim that their regulator reacts faster to acceleration requirements, i.e increased the pressure at the fuel rail is required as more fuel is needed, which is sensed from the vacuum pipe, than the standard regulator and increases the pressure in the fuel rail pressure faster. I've no idea whether FSE claims are true.

However increasing fuel rail pressure to compensate for weak mixtures in a particular circumstance has the downside of having a richer mixture than you require across the whole throttle/power range.

Also watch out for leaks if you increase the rail pressure.

Mark

It raises fuel rail pressure by restricting the return to the tank. (Fuel enters the injector rail from the tank pump, feeds the injectors demands and is held at a certain pressure by the pressure regulator restricting the return. Vac to the nipple on the reg reduces pressure, boost increase it. This is to make the injectors see the same effective line pressure under boost as not under boost. If the intake has 12 psi boost in it the injectors would have to overcome this pressure to squirt, hence under boost they would squirt less. So the reg sees boost at the nipple and increases fuel pressure by the same 12 psi, hence the injectors flow the same, for a given injector open time. Rising rate regs raise the fuel line pressure under boost ABOVE the boost increase poundage, hence at 12 pounds boost they might raise the line pressure 18 pounds.

Not sure why you have one though?

Fuelling needs measuring under load with a wide band O2 sensor screwed into an adaptor near the engine. Some people stick them up the tailpipe, but they can sniff air if they aren't far up the spout. You need a dedicated readout / power source for a wide band O2 sensor, too. Gets costly.

If I remember rightly in Ian's car (originally Paul Waite's), the FSE valve was used in conjunction with an APEXi AFC, the FSE raised the fuel pressure to cope with the extra airflow of the hybrid turbos and then the AFC was used to lean out the rich spots. You have to do it this way round as trying to add fuel via the AFC just brings in fuel cut quicker because it is basically fiddling the MAP pressure signal going to the ECU. (I think that's all correct)

I'm trying to knock out the stuttering/hesitation I get when passing 1.2 bar I thought it could be overcome by using an FSE. From what I've read here it looks like I need to go through the AFC route as I supposedly have uprated injectors (still haven't removed the intake manifold to check this) and see if I can up the fueling at high boost.

Though I realise the stock turbo's are out of their efficiency range above 1.2 bar I'm just trying to make sure I can run 1.2 bar without worrying about the weather, as cold air will boost higher....

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 1:10 am on Dec. 23, 2001[br]

Though I realise the stock turbo's are out of their efficiency range above 1.2 bar I'm just trying to make sure I can run 1.2 bar without worrying about the weather, as cold air will boost higher....

Hybrid turbo's should have an improved efficiency range and will make productive boost above that of the stock turbo's.  

(Edited by GavinL at 8:55 am on Dec. 23, 2001)

Quote: from GavinL on 8:54 am on Dec. 23, 2001[br]
Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 1:10 am on Dec. 23, 2001[br]

It sounds more likely to be ignition related, maybe plugs.

Quote: from HardHead42 on 9:10 pm on Dec. 22, 2001[br]If I remember rightly in Ian's car (originally Paul Waite's), the FSE valve was used in conjunction with an APEXi AFC, the FSE raised the fuel pressure to cope with the extra airflow of the hybrid turbos and then the AFC was used to lean out the rich spots. You have to do it this way round as trying to add fuel via the AFC just brings in fuel cut quicker because it is basically fiddling the MAP pressure signal going to the ECU. (I think that's all correct)

Yup, that's about right.  The FSE valve was used to feed the FMIC'ed upped-boost-pressure hybrids.

My engine failure was probably caused by one of these things:

*The fuelling was incorrectly controlled by the Apexi AVC-R for an extended period of time due to being set up badly, eventually causing engine failure.

*The fuelling was incorrectly controlled by the Apexi AVC-R for an short period of time due to losing all it's settings

*The fuelling ran lean when the FSE mod failed in some way and the fuel pressure went back to stock at full boost

So you can see, I would like to be able to test the FSE valve in some way!  

Also, and this could be a dead giveaway, I reset the AVC-R while doing some troubleshooting post-engine swap.  Before resetting it, I carefully wrote down every single setting in the unit, so I could put it back to how it was afterwards.

To my amazement and dismay, the default settings that the AVC-R comes back with were *exactly* the same as the settings I wrote down before resetting it, expect that the 'number of cylinders' had been changed from default 12 to 6.  I wonder if this is why my car blew up...?  It was running on defaults...

-Ian

Quote: from Ian C on 11:12 am on Dec. 24, 2001[br]
So you can see, I would like to be able to test the FSE valve in some way!  

I had a faulty FSE fitted to my car and it hesitated when the second turbo came online. Leon tested by fitting a pressure gauge to the FSE on a long peice of tube and we checked it out whilst driving around.