The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM ECU

Guest Ash

At last it does appear there *will* be an aftermarket ECU for the MKIV auto.

Launch date I have been told by AEM is mid January. The system will come with a base map and can be configured to suit virtually any engine, i.e. sequentials, hybrids (running in sequential or parallel configuration) big singles, big twins, etc.

Plus, for the auto, there will be full programmable control over the box. So it will be possible to change shift points, etc.

The unit simply plugs in place of the stock ECU and utilises all the stock sensors. Plus, it will read a wide-band O2 sensor directly, thus making tuning so much easier. Though I guess the sensor will need to be calibrated initially.  

Cost I estimate will be in the region of £1,600 including VAT and import duty.

So it seems from next year all the high-power cars really will have an opportunity to kiss all the add-on cludges goodbye.

Yours,

J

It will work on ANY spec. Or at least it can be *configured* to run any spec. Something which is very easy to do given the appropriate analysis equipment.  

The spec of the car, whether it be UK or Jap, was never the problem in fitting any programmable aftermarket ECU. There are a number of aftermarket units that could do the job amply well.

The stumbling block has been with the auto car (and the slight complication regarding the sequential turbo system). But it was mainly the auto gearbox that was the big stumbling block.

Yours,

J

Has to be said it sounds like manner (sp?) from heaven :)

£1600 to avoid using all those other bolt on Computers....what we need to do now is get a approved importer and tuner - preferably a few of said to make sure prices are kept down and people are able to visit them easily (geographic location of dealers).

All hail the AEM ECU....now where can I off load my MINES unit???

Ash

This sounds on the face of it to be what I'm looking before, but a few things occur to me before we all go overboard.

This ECU will allow those running hybrids, Big singles and twins (it is not going to do a lot for those running standard turbos as much over 1 bar puts them outside their efficiency range) to overome "cludges" etc and programme more advance when not on boost to overcome the flat performance "off boost" and the inital cost seems very reasonable. But surely there are other things that any purchaser needs to consider:

Injectors needing to be upgraded as the standard items will be running at close to maximum duty.

Ensuring turbos are running within efficiency range

Probable uprated fuel pump.

Mapping time and cost, including ensuring that the knock detection is set up properly, prior to destroying the engine.

I wonder what you would estimate the mapping and set up costs at? Very basic mapping could be undertaken on a rolling road, but as these can't handle more than 300 bhp, how do you map the upper ranges apart from on a circuit. In addition whoever undertakes the mapping needs to know exactly what they are doing and my experience of the tuning industry suggests there are not many that really understand what they are doing.

This ECU seems like a solution to many of my concerns, as I'm contemplating "big" twins, but I can see that the  injectors, pump plus mapping time could easily add a couple of thousand pounds to the initial cost and that anyone contemplating this upgrade needs to consider this prior to purchase.

Mark Brown

Yes, but it is not just getting rid of the add-on cludges. Okay, that gear alone with a boost controller, AFC, SLD and FCD can amount to around £1,000. It's the fact the AEM unit already comes with a 3-bar MAP sensor. Which means the car can be mapped to 2-bar boost if your wallet can take it. :)

Yours,

J

Quote: from Martin F on 10:01 pm on Nov. 19, 2001[br]

Take a look at this site :-

http://www.gems.co.uk/

Allegedly these guys are the brains behind the AEM ECU.

Looking at their products it looks possible, anybody want to try the backdoor (calm down Justin) approach ??

I have had stuff done by GEMS and it has been first class, but what makes you say this ECU is made / backed / hacked by GEMS? If it IS a GEMS based product it should be good, for sure they know exactly what they are doing.

Guest Martin F

Oh you would ask that wouldn't you, right after i deleted the email!!!!

Basically AEM bought out a company called Pro EFI who had a product based on a GEMS unit. So the suspicion is that this unit is just the original Pro EFI unit with a little bit more development and marketing.

Aren't i  knowledgeable chap ???

LOL.....came from the US MKIV list and seems to be accurate.

Nick......

It will work with anything. Sounds like it would run the Space Shuttle from all the features it has. :)

The only problem with the VVT-I is that the ECU has a different connecting block so a bit of hard-wiring might be needed.

Yours,

J

A proper replacement ECU for the VVT-i?  Can it be true?  WOOHOO!!!

At last no more cludges, no more fuel cut, no boost controllers that loose their settings and fuel computers with Japanese instructions.

Please keep me updated with news as and when you get it!

Quote: from Nick on 9:41 am on Nov. 23, 2001[br]A proper replacement ECU for the VVT-i?  Can it be true?  WOOHOO!!!

At last no more cludges, no more fuel cut, no boost controllers that loose their settings and fuel computers with Japanese instructions.

Please keep me updated with news as and when you get it!

Nick..............

I've just had an email direct from Jason Siebels of AEM and he has confirmed what they are saying on SupraForums, i.e. that it will be mid January before the unit is available.

As I say, Nick, the unit will need some re-wiring to account for the different ECU connector as the VVT-I gearbox and engine ECU's are contained in one box. Whereas with the OBDI car they are separate. The easy solution is to get a section of loom, from a scrap car, with the old-style plugs attached and use those to interface with your wiring.

Also, an additional signal output will have to programmed to control the inlet cam position. However, I am told that even with the additional functions of the auto box, there are a number of programmable outputs spare.  

Yours,

J

• 1 month later...