The mkiv Supra Owners Club

paint job

suprasport

Good lad, happy for ya! you wait till you get it outside! it'll be full of dust, but thats where a good bit of flatting and polishing comes in! how many coats of lacquer did you use?

managed four coats mate. thinking that should be ample on pearl.

iv just noticed as well...where are your doors?

doors, bonnet, roof, boot, and spoiler are ready for tommorow.

there easy now compared to shell :) :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh man! that amount of clear will be fine! im just worried, that when you normaly paint the panels seperate from the shell with a pearl such as this, they tend to look slightly different! as when the sunlight hits them, although they have the same paint on them, painted the same way, with the same gun, the particles wont be sitting exactly the same way on the panels as the shell, so may look a slight shade off!

But on the other hand it may be fine! sorry, sounds a bit of a downer, just thinking out loud!

Yeh man! that amount of clear will be fine! im just worried, that when you normaly paint the panels seperate from the shell with a pearl such as this, they tend to look slightly different! as when the sunlight hits them, although they have the same paint on them, painted the same way, with the same gun, the particles wont be sitting exactly the same way on the panels as the shell, so may look a slight shade off!

But on the other hand it may be fine! sorry, sounds a bit of a downer, just thinking out loud!

whoops. :eek: i appreciate all comments mate, glad you told me, maybe i can take that bit extra effort spraying the doors in as close a pattern etc. as the wings.

fingers crossed eh!!

spray other bits off, then final pearl when fixed masking rest??? at least direction in the way the paint will lay down will be the same.

then i supose u would have to take back off to lacker. Sounds like a western supermare to me.....

i would pray for you tonight if i believed in any thing.

tt steve

Theres nothing you can do now mate, but you can actualy get the gun in the hinges and shuts enough to reach them with the doors on, then close the doors and paint the entire outside of the car together! it maybe ok, fingers crossed!

Or, I paint the inside of the door, and the hinges, and the inside of the door pillar, let it flash off, the pop the door back on, close it and paint the side of the car!

ok its going like shit, paint has reacted with something overnight its showing up like scratches and cracks, also around the edge of some filler, had a bloke round who used to do it for a living suggested using a stopper/sealer first, allthough couldnt suggest why it had reacted, everyone says i have done it right its just one of those things. :shrug: one good point he was very impressed with the actual spray job :D . anyway paint shop sold me some primer/filler and suggested that i take it right back down as it will have to much paint on and will never seal and probably sag, allthough he phoned his expert who said that i should just very lightly sand with 800 to 1000 grit and go straight to basecoat, but i am not sure if he realised how many layers it has on at mo. tested the primer on a dash part i was having problems with and that was fine but another piece reacted again.

also there has been no reaction on primer or basecoat just the pearl.

got to get it right this time as they have run out of paint and i am out of patience and the will to live :violin:

what should i do, have no problem with the spraying just the method now.

If you want any advice, give me a shout. these reactions arnt uncommon. normal caused because the solvents havnt been released properly from each coat of paint. either due to your coats being to heavy/wet, and not letting each coat flash off properly before applying the next one.

Can also be due to poor basecoat thinners, but unlikely. what stage are you at now?

cheers mate, glad you replied has given me that bit of confidence, that i am getting it right.

have just left it today give it time to harden as much as possible, and got on with prepping everything else, finished inside doors, and boot.

had a feeling it was the to much to quick, kinda got carried away with myself.

and i was using cheap primer apparrantly, didn't know there was a 2k.

blame paint shop for that one as they knew the score (first time etc.) and told them i wanted best of everything.

but lesson learnt :D

pretty confident know though, gonna flat it back but keep a layer of clear then thin layer of primer and away i go :ecstatic:

oh and test a bit first :D