The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Optimax problem

HedgehogSandwich adi

This is actually a problem on my mkiii 2.5tt, but the engine is a similar design to your mkiv's (mines a 1JZGTE) so here goes.

Filled up with optimax today, ran fine for a while but im now getting spluttering, and also its missing badly on high boost.  someone suggested i may have burnt my plugs out due to the higher octane. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? Would the plugs problem cause the missing? The plugs were the standard replacement toyota ones, fitted about a month ago.

I've now diluted it and its running with half and half but the problem is still there.

adi 92 2.5tt

Don't know if this is related, but some others in the group had a discussion about Optimax recently.  Go to page 5 of the Technical thread and you'll find on 7th December an item entitled "Running hot on Optimax".  Some people have experienced problems with temperatures and idle speeds etc. when changing to Optimax.  Have a read.....may or may not be related.:smile:

I thought that running on Optimax allows a 'cleaner burn' of fuel entering the engine. If anything I would have thought that running optimax would sort out more problems than it would cause. The MK-iv engines are designed for RON95 fuel or higher, thats what is says in the manual anyway, but I'm unsure about the MK-iii engines. Have a read of your car manual and in the back it should specify which fuel is prefereable, but if your car is modified then everything changes anyway.

Try Steve's idea and re-set your ECU, apart from that I'm not much help, sorry.

AJI

Optimax i've heard *can* be good, but can also cause severe engine damage. It ran fine in my old 3.0t with improved economy and smoother power, so i thought id try it in my 2.5tt (identical in many ways to the mkiv engine). I tried it half and half first which ran fine so tried it with 100% optimax, which is when the problem started.

My best theory is that i've burnt the plugs out (only been in four weeks) im slowly trying to get the tank empty of optimax and refill with normal UL.

I've reset the ECU but no joy.

The ironic thing is i've ran it on SUL with no problems before this.

adi

Guest Martin F
Quote: from HedgehogSandwich adi on 1:09 pm on Jan. 20, 2002[br]Optimax i've heard *can* be good, but can also cause severe engine damage.

adi

Where did you here this ?

Was it a reliable source or rumour ?

It's been a subject of the scooby owners club for some time i think. A member on the UK supras list also told similar horror stories of the older 'improved' fuel some years back (cant remember what it was called) which was brought out by shell, and promptly wrecked various engines.

AFAIK the problem occurs due to the excess heat caused by the higher octane, which can burn valves out or in worst case scenarios do some damage to piston tops. It could all be scaremongering though .

Basically i reckon if youre engines running fine on it then theres no problem, you can continue to use it. Im not an engine expert and could easily have got this wrong.

My theory is i've either burnt out the plugs, or an exhaust valve. Either way theres no way i'll be using optimax again.

adi

(Edited by HedgehogSandwich adi at 3:57 pm on Jan. 20, 2002)

As an additional, just been checking the net to see other problems caused by optimax, and on the TVR site it states that TVR themsleves says not ot use optimax in their engines , because it isnt safe to do so. Yet many TVR members give good results from using it.

I think its down to using the correct plugs with it, colder plugs are fine but the standard ones dont like it.

Ps how do i type an emoticon??

You must  hug you mouse to get  emotions.

Check the enable emotions box below the post writing area then click on emotions to the left of the  post writing  box.

High RON should not be a problem in JAP cars as they are mapped to 102 RON.

Sounds like ECU reset, and or plugs.

I think it was around september.  Optimax itself isnt the problem, its the high octane it provides. Damage mainly consists of burnt plugs, high EGT, and occasionally burnt valves (expensive). I've also been told that extreme cases can cause piston damage, but i'm not sure about that one.

Chris Wilson is probably the man to ask.

adi

Quote: from HedgehogSandwich adi on 1:25 pm on Jan. 21, 2002[br]I think it was around september.  Optimax itself isnt the problem, its the high octane it provides. Damage mainly consists of burnt plugs, high EGT, and occasionally burnt valves (expensive). I've also been told that extreme cases can cause piston damage, but i'm not sure about that one.

Chris Wilson is probably the man to ask.

adi

Might have caused more than that, hey Ian!

Hmm I'm tempted to try a couple of tanks of BP SUL (personal pref for BP SUL over all others) and see if I get the hesitation at WOT at 1.1-1.2 bar.

Of course, I shall update you all if I ever get to the bottom of it :)

I'm not pointing any fingers yet, it could still have been anything.  I don't think I ran into an overboosting situation, though.  I'm going to get the fuelling checked out by Mr. C. Wilson esq., and see what he thinks...

-Ian

Quote: from Ian C on 6:59 pm on Jan. 21, 2002[br]Of course, I shall update you all if I ever get to the bottom of it :)

I'm not pointing any fingers yet, it could still have been anything.  I don't think I ran into an overboosting situation, though.  I'm going to get the fuelling checked out by Mr. C. Wilson esq., and see what he thinks...

-Ian

Did you get engine stalls before you had this engine damage ?

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Lee Hockley on 8:13 am on Jan. 25, 2002[br]

Did you get engine stalls before you had this engine damage ?

Tried but he burn't his hands on the exhaust.

Oh you said stalls..........:biggrin:

How rude :)

No, there was absolutely no indication of any problem before failure.  It seemed a bit slower than it used to, but I put that down to getting used to the power - Of course, there may have been a lean condition causing power loss going unnoticed because we always put that sort of thing down to getting used to the power :(

-Ian