The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I hate my supra

Robert

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also some real dogs out there, which have been seriously abused and neglected. No car can take that and be expected to run sweet as a nut. Generally a well maintained standard car will go for ever well I guess 400K + with only ancillary parts needing changing every70K -120K. Keeping a high performance car on the road just as standard is not cheap, especially on a student, loan.

It would be interesting to start a new how much does it cost to keep it on the road thread, as the older cars may be needing quite a few ancillary changes by now. Mine is relatively low miles for a TT so nothing needs changing, but it has cost the price of a small car just to keep it on the road each year.

I suspect that well will see an increasing number off poorly maintained cars coming on the market after the chavs have realised that they cant afford to run or repair it and discover that go fast stripes don’t work

I don't want to upgrade mine, I just want to get it running and MoT'd so I can sell the fucking thing and recover some of the twelve grand the bastard has cost me so far.

(I don't mean to be rude to you Peter, I'm just expressing my frustration with this car )

Put me on the interested list !

Put me on the interested list !
Even once it's fixed I don't think I would dare sell it to a member of mkivsupra.net. The damn thing is jinxed.

I did offer it to Migster for 6k (with a blown engine of couse) in P/X for his 9k older car but he doesn't want a project at the moment. I just want shot of it, I'm getting serious grief from the Mrs about it now because she can't get her car on the driveway.

Even once it's fixed I don't think I would dare sell it to a member of mkivsupra.net. The damn thing is jinxed.

I did offer it to Migster for 6k.I just want shot of it, I'm getting serious grief from the Mrs about it now because she can't get her car on the driveway.

:whip: if its takin up her space then u better get it fixed!!

oh and i forgot to say that i found out a few months back that in 2000 the car was a CAT C write off, so that does nothing for my resale price so looks like im stuck repairing everything. I dont want to add any afteramarket bits i just want the car up and running for more than a week with nothing going wrong. Im just fed up of having to make excuses up about why my car is off road when family ask for a lift or i need to pick my girlfriend up from work.

oh and i forgot to say that i found out a few months back that in 2000 the car was a CAT C write off, so that does nothing for my resale price so looks like im stuck repairing everything. I dont want to add any afteramarket bits i just want the car up and running for more than a week with nothing going wrong. Im just fed up of having to make excuses up about why my car is off road when family ask for a lift or i need to pick my girlfriend up from work.

Not a good start to Supra ownership then :grouphug:

Let's hope 2006 puts that famous Supra smile on your face :D :devil:

oh and i forgot to say that i found out a few months back that in 2000 the car was a CAT C write off

Didn't you buy it from a board member? :taped:

WTF didn't you HPI it :no:

Looking at the list, none of the things are in Jakes league, you've just been a bit unlucky.

In fact some of the things like the MAF getting dirty when the induction kit fell off, you kind of deserved really if you carried on driving it :stickpoke

I'm surprised at a lot of the guys on here who purport to be able to run a Supra on a student grant. It was a £40k car when new, you can't expect to run it on 50p a week :)

Modded cars are always a gamble, TBH there's not too much wrong with yours (from your list) that a few hundred quid and a couple of weekends wouldn't put right.

All cars need brake pads, air filters, batteries etc from time to time. They're just consumables. In fact I think the battery on my Supra is going to need replacing in the not too distant future, it sounds a bit weak these cold mornings. Ho hum another £70 or so I suppose ;)

Since I've had my Supra Ive replaced 4 tyres, 4 shock absorbers, brake pads all round, oil and filter (a few times) air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs etc.

I don't think thats bad in 18 months, in fact I 've spent more than that on the TVR in the first month :violin:

Once you get it fixed and start driving it, the grin factor will kick in, and all will be forgotten :D

Didn't you buy it from a board member? :taped:

WTF didn't you HPI it :no:

In fact some of the things like the MAF getting dirty when the induction kit fell off, you kind of deserved really if you carried on driving it :stickpoke

do you really believe i drove the car when the induction kit fell off?

Yes i guess you could say why didnt i HPI check the car when i got it but it was from a trusted member so i didnt anyways im not blaming him as he said he didnt know. I understand you cant run a supra on 50p a week but it just seems everytime i ge tit right something else goes. In four months i would say the car has been off road at least 4 weeks either waiting for bits to get fix or waiting for the parts. After having such a problem free life with my previous supra its a big shock to see every week something needs fixing thats all i was saying.

do you really believe i drove the car when the induction kit fell off?

Sorry mate, that was how your post read

Yes i guess you could say why didnt i HPI check the car when i got it but it was from a trusted member so i didnt anyways im not blaming him as he said he didnt know.

I'm just surprised that 2 of you have bought, a somewhat expensive car(even by todays standards) and neither of you felt the need to HPI the thing :thumbdown

I understand you cant run a supra on 50p a week but it just seems everytime i ge tit right something else goes. In four months i would say the car has been off road at least 4 weeks either waiting for bits to get fix or waiting for the parts. After having such a problem free life with my previous supra its a big shock to see every week something needs fixing thats all i was saying.

I can understand your frustration, I've had cars like that myself, they can be a right pain in the arse :(

But to be honest, a lot of the things that you've had fixed should have been obvious when you bought it.

Things like brake pads and shocks/springs don't suddenly wear out.

The modded bits are a different kettle of fish, you're always into unknown territory there. It's a choice you make, mod it for more power, or keep it stock for reliability.

Most of us, me included, want the power of the modded car with the reliability of the standard one. It takes a lifetime to realise that it just isn't going to happen :D

the shocks went after about 3 weeks of driving to uni two months after getting the car so no way i could have known, the brake pads had uneven wear so i was told to replace them a month later, I dunno what more i can say in public about the whole HPI thing but......:taped:

Nightmare Rob. :(

I'm sure everything will be ok soon, can't be much else to go wrong surely?

I went through some VERY low patches building the kitcar at points where things broke, went wrong, worked then stopped etc.. But it is sooo worth it in the end.

Just for balance, I've had zero problems with any of the three MkIV Supras I've had over the last 4 years :D

*exhaust crumbling to bits,

what do you expect on a 10 year old car? Normal wear'n'tear

*handbrake shoe part breaking,

*brake pads gone after 50 miles,

had they been swapped for 'performance' items, or were they stock items left for far too long?

*induction kit falling off,

*air filter full of crap,

You could have left the excellent stock airbox/filter in place and spend the money towards a holiday or something

*silicone on FMIC pipe cracking,

what do you expect from non-stock parts?

*MAF getting dirty after induction kit fell off

see stock airbox comment

*front springs gone,

*rear springs gone,

*rear shocks gone

*front shocks gone,

same as exhaust comment. what do you expect from a car of this age/mileage ffs?

The first thing I did when I bought mine was to fit a set of Bilsteins. Bliss (cheap, too!)

*avc-r not working right,

and you blame Toyota for that? lol...

*upper rad pipe leaking,

*lower rad pipe leaking,

not sure if they'd still leak if they hadn't been disturbed for the FMIC installation. In any case the coolant rad temps get higher afterwards, so cooling problems are exaggerated.

Can't blame Toyota for that, sorry....

*heater coolant pipe leaking,

How often did you drain the coolant and replace with distilled water mix? That's the main way to avoid internal corrosion

*cant refit the stock air box due to custom FMIC,

Toyota's fault then?

*stone through my radiator

how did it get through the FMIC?:eek:

* flat battery

this sucks, mine drains the battery too. for no good reason:swear:

*boot rubbers

fair enough, old age wear, but they only cost a fiver!

People think I'm a killjoy for rubbishing 'modding' for the sake of it, but I've been through this crap myself, and now I've wised up. I only divert from stock when there is a very good technical reason.

I hope you've learnt your lesson.:zen:

did you not check this before you brought it??

Give the poor guy a break he needs a :hug: not the good old "told you so" comments.

Robert, have you told the insurance company about you FMIC i have just asked them for a quote for mine with a 0 bhp gain and they have to refer it to the underwriters...uh O.

Also cheeky FCUK's put my premium up £30 (only 3 months left on policy) for RLTC. Surely it should be cheaper GRRRRR

Sorry mate, that was how your post read

I'm just surprised that 2 of you have bought, a somewhat expensive car(even by todays standards) and neither of you felt the need to HPI the thing :thumbdown

Well, I also didn't HPI it as it was recommended by Dude, also the general condition of the car when I looked over it before I bought it looked superb. Furthermore, to be fair to Dude, the accident apparently happened five years ago, so I guess he like me and the other owners since would have been none the wiser.