The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater control Knobs

psymon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep sounds good. So these are covers?? Would the temp one have a notch in it like the standard one?

The one in the pic has very thin 'graphics vinyl' as the black line, this has been on mine for ages with no problem. The first ones I did had the slot milled, not right through as light doesn't shine through, I then filled with black paint and polished. It looked shite really, the edges of the line were fuzzy and the finish on the paint wasn't up to much either as it was finished level with the ali if you see what I mean so not able to achieve a gloss finish.

The only other way to do this would be to mill and add some sort of insert, very fiddly to do and added time and cost.

Paul

Edit:Sorry, forgot to answer the other question. Yes they are covers, I looked around for ages for something the same sort of size to fit and nothing will so I made them. I did use solid billets of ali to start as I thought this was the correct thing to do, it then meant mucking around reproducing the 'D' shape fixing hole on the rear for the spring clip to fit into, pain in the arse and no advantage.

This final method of thimble type covers looks exactly the same when fitted, not sure but I think the wall thickness is about 0.5/0.75 mm so it keeps the same sort of size as the original.

Can you stick up some pics of these on your car Paul? (I mean your fitted controls, not just a loose one on your roof etc :D )

Yeah, I'll take some Friday and post them.

I think the one in that photo has the line either masked and shotblasted on or milled and paint filled, not sure?

As I said the method I found best was the thin vinyl. Anyway I'll take a pic or two.

Paul

Some pics on the car (well, on not 'on' the car :D )

Ignore the stock radio knob on the last one, for now I'm talking about doing the Heater pair only. I doubt there are that many to warrant doing radio ones but I'll look at doing those seperate if someone really wants one after.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 038.jpg

:cool: nice, when did you say they would be ready :D

Not sure yet, need to find time to make 30 plus of the little buggers:)

Would think it'll be within a few weeks but only if this sort of qty of people are going to buy will it be worth me doing.

Anyway, comments appreciated. As you can see the black line on the temp one is still well intact and looking good, been on for ages now with no problems and I think you'll agree it looks clearer and better than that first pic on this thread.

Paul

Right then, taken a look at these and would really like some commitment as I'll need to buy the material to do these.

So far we've got 16 interested, that's 32 of the little buggers:(

As I said previous it'll be £25 for the two, polished top with brushed finish to the side.

Best thing will be to list again to confirm, don't want money up front as I'll cover it but I don't want to be messed around as it's my time and money so if you add your name then be sure and don't pull out later!!

Cheers, Paul

PS: can someone take off one of these control knobs and confirm that the diameter at the base (slight taper) is 21mm as mine are;)