The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/a Heater issues (progress so far)

LordNelson

Hi All, Im quite new here and only picked my Supra up just over a week ago.

The main issue i have is the heater not working as it should. the blowers work, but only a tiny bit of heat trickles out.

I have searched the forum for answers and this is my progress:

Checked the connecting rod in the passenger footwall.....all working and connected as it should be.

2 rad pipes that go through the bulkhead into the matrix are both warm

there are no damp patches in the passenger footwell.

There is a new Mishimoto radiator installed in the car, which seems to be functioning. ive done some long drives and the temp needle stays solid where it should.
The coolant is a nice clean colour.
theres no bubbles coming out of the rad cap when i take it off.
the top pipe is nice and warm
the bottom pipe (Rad to water pump) is very cold!! if i squeeze this pipe, it pushes water through the rad (can see when the cap is off). Should this pipe be warm? is it possible the themostat or water pump blocked?

Any further help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks 

The matrix is probably partially blocked. It will need flushing through…. I see this all the time now… I flush them until it comes out clear…. You won’t believe the amount of crP that can come out of them! 

• Like 1

Lets hope and pray it can be flushed out and it's not a dash out to replace the heater matrix jobbie.

These cars are approaching 30 years old now and a lot of heater matrixes will start to be irreversibly clogging up with too infrequent coolant changes done in the past,aluminium oxidisation and just Father Time basically.

There are plenty of posts on here regarding people flushing out their heater matrix using anything from fairy liquid to Mr Muscle and rad flush. 

If that doesn't work then you start getting really desperate and resort to drain cleaner and a power washer.

Which is where I am now at the moment and I've a horrible feeling that I may have damaged the plastic heater matrix control valve which is joined to one end of the matrix, using too stronger chemicals me thinks.

And the valve is discontinued by Toyota  ( you can still buy the Supra MK111 one brand new !!! ) so  now  I am now trying to source a good second one just in case I have damaged it for when I do whip the dash out in a few months time. 

Not looking forward to it one bit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andy Jackson said:

Lets hope and pray it can be flushed out and it's not a dash out to replace the heater matrix jobbie.

These cars are approaching 30 years old now and a lot of heater matrixes will start to be irreversibly clogging up with too infrequent coolant changes done in the past,aluminium oxidisation and just Father Time basically.

There are plenty of posts on here regarding people flushing out their heater matrix using anything from fairy liquid to Mr Muscle and rad flush. 

If that doesn't work then you start getting really desperate and resort to drain cleaner and a power washer.

Which is where I am now at the moment and I've a horrible feeling that I may have damaged the plastic heater matrix control valve which is joined to one end of the matrix, using too stronger chemicals me thinks.

And the valve is discontinued by Toyota  ( you can still buy the Supra MK111 one brand new !!! ) so  now  I am now trying to source a good second one just in case I have damaged it for when I do whip the dash out in a few months time. 

Not looking forward to it one bit.

Oh no, that doesnt sound good.....why are things so much of a ball ache to sort out. haha.