The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with KW3 coil-overs causing fender to cut tyre

Quambo

Hey guys, I have a 1997 mkiv SZ-R and have had KW3 coil-overs on it for about 6 months. I have Niche Altair M192 18x19.5(5/114 35 72.5) and before upgrading had Advan V107 275/35/18 on my rears (note, my suspension was already past the “recommended” max ride height to accommodate these wheels. I wore these advans out in the rear and swapped to some semi-slick Potenza RE71-RS to get some extra grip. Although after some decently hard driving, on the corners my fenders were coming down and cutting into the sidewall of the new wheels. I don’t want to raise ride height through adjusting the suspension anymore as it is already over the recommended settings. Could this be an issue because of the offset of my rims? My rears are already slightly cambered out so definitely no more camber. What would you guys recommend, thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, AC93 said:

Yeh probably the offset and/or ride being too low. What's the ET of the wheels?

offset is 35, can fit 2.5 fingers inbetween fenders and wheel which is less than in the fronts (2 fingers). But in the rears the wheels stick out a fair bit more being 275 vs 255 at the front. Maybe I need new rims and wheels, rip bank account

On 12/31/2023 at 9:21 AM, AC93 said:

Yeh probably on the limit 

I got 10J rears ET45 and 285/35 tyres, also trimmed and slightly rolled arches and no issues 

Could try a 265 tyre, but some manufacturers 275 and ever so slightly wider than anothers 265

Cheers bro, I’m gonna get fenders cut n rolled first then if that doesn’t work probably change rims. Do you know what’s the best offsets for running 275s or 285s in the rear? What’s your fitment like?

On 1/3/2024 at 1:23 AM, Quambo said:

Cheers bro, I’m gonna get fenders cut n rolled first then if that doesn’t work probably change rims. Do you know what’s the best offsets for running 275s or 285s in the rear? What’s your fitment like?

The higher the better usually for clearance

I'm on OEM yellow Bilstein shocks and TT springs so fitment is perfect for my setup, probably go 295 tyres next. I was lowered about 20/30mm on TRD coilovers and it didn't scrape, but did with my previous Rota GTR-D wheels, 18" 10J ET35