The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Power seat cog repair

Count3r

Hi Guys,

To anyone else who comes here in search of help repairing their seats, i attempted this repair recently and learnt two things and thought id make a note of them here..

1) replacing this cog as shown here, controls just one rail at the bottom of the seat, so you can learn how broken your seat is by unbolting it and then turning it on its side and using the controls, and then seeing if either side moves, you may have one side broken, or both (as in my case). This guide covers repairing the easier to get to outer rail on a RHD car.

2) For me in my JDM MK4, each rail is driven by a spiral rod which is turned by the motor, but each seat rail had a different sized spline which went into each motor. The cog replaced in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtymRSb7WkA

is 26tooth gear where the inner spline diameter that goes inside it is (driven from the motor) is 11mm. For me in my JDM car the diameter of the spiral rods one side (the outer side) is just 6mm with a different spline pattern so this cog would not work. The other side (the side touching the handbrake) matched, so i could have repaired 1/2 of my seat rails with the part shown in the video. There is no replacement cog i have found for this 6mm spline. You could at best use the OEM part you remove (which is basically a metal cylinder with a cog pressed onto it) and order a press on plastic cog from gamiviti (google this) I attempted this but the plastic cogs did not hold, i suspect i installed them wrong.

There is a company in Australia which sells these parts with metal cogs pressed on

https://shop.powerwin.com.au/Power-Seat-Track-Gears-to-fit-various-Toyota-models-p95623977

You will note lower in the product description it says : WARNING: We have seen twice before a smaller shaft diameter of approx 6mm for this type we can assist as a in house repair. Send us your gear set."

I will be sending my metal center gear sets out to them to press a gear onto both of the shafts, the one with the inner spline diameter of 11mm (which i could replace with a toyota land cruiser part as per this video) and the shaft with the inner spline diameter 6mm.

Im not sure why Toyota on some supras (mine is prefacelift, so might have something to do with it, and JDM) chose to have each rail driven by virtually the same mechanism but at one side the spiral ends at a 6mm shaft and the other a 11mm shaft.

Edited by Count3r
left out a link (see edit history)

• 4 months later...