The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear arch fix

Newbiebutanoldie

Hi I've got a supra n/a automatic 2002 import which I've owned and driven daily for coming up to 12 years now and have meant to join this forum for a long time,but if honest what's finally prompted me is totally selfish. I have rust coming through, again, on drivers rear arch. It was supposedly fixed correctly 3 years ago,but turns out was just a bodge job. 

I wonder if anyone can help recommend someone who can help as needs cutting out and fabrication work done - properly this time.

I'm based just outside of Newcastle upon Tyne and would appreciate any help/advice.

Chris 

Those arches are a problem area being double skin spot welded (inner and outer panel seam), so its always going to have a water and grime ingress issue. I noticed some rusting starting on mine, must be at least 10 years ago, so I had it nipped by asking a body shop to sort and weld along the panel seam and its been fine since. It was a bit of overkill but stopped any chance of water getting in between the spot welded panels.

They didn't get the colour match on the arches perfect but I'd much rather have a slight colour miss than rusting arches.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, Big Supes said:

I'd help, but you're a tad far away for me. 

I'm sure you must have reputable body shops up there who can hook you up. 

Unfortunately I'm not having a lot of luck so far. Only seem to have people wanting to do filler and paint,not actual fabrication. When you say help - how could you and how far away are you?

If people are talking of filling rather than fabricating then I assume the rust is within the arch and has not migrated as far as the outer wing. That'd be an easy fabrication job to restore with a metal strip and then paint the arch, any decent welder could do it and anyone with a can of primer and a can of paint and a can of clear coat could paint it. Its only when you migrate around and onto the visible outer panel that you need an amount of skill to get a smooth on contour finish and well matched paint. 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:04 PM, Newbiebutanoldie said:

Unfortunately I'm not having a lot of luck so far. Only seem to have people wanting to do filler and paint,not actual fabrication. When you say help - how could you and how far away are you?

There's surely got to be a reputable bodyshop up there?! 

By helping I mean I'd cut any rust out and weld in fresh metal, but I'm on the South Coast.