The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High idle throttle body issue? Video attached.

Degsy

Problem:

When we rev the engine and leave to drop to idle it drops to around 1300 RPM. If we grasp the throttle unit and apply a little pressure it seems to drop the revs to 950/1000 RPM? See attached video.

Action taken by ourselves;

We have thoroughly cleaned the throttle body, ICV, new plugs fitted, all hoses checked.

Question:

Anyone any idea what could cause this problem? and how to resolve it.

Yeah as @Samurai 20V said. I had a similar issue, it was the dashpot as it was old and dirty. Some WD-40/penetrating oil to clean it out fixed it, I just cleaned the 'piston' and left the cap/filter alone. I have a spare to hand so I took a photo of it just in case you weren't sure what it was (when I first heard the word I didn't have a clue lol)

IMG_1463.thumb.JPG.4c5153aece9609a90f08b30c93b0ccfc.JPG

Edited by m12aak
Added more info (see edit history)

Sorted it after many attempts to adjust the setting on the dashpot (and removing and refitting the Throttle Body assembly) we decided to leave it off. The idling now goes down straight away to a sensible 950/1000 RPM.

Is it recommended to replace them with a new one or will it have any long term damage without it being fitted?

If anyone has a part number it would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks for all your help.

D.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Degsy said:

Sorted it after many attempts to adjust the setting on the dashpot (and removing and refitting the Throttle Body assembly) we decided to leave it off. The idling now goes down straight away to a sensible 950/1000 RPM.

Is it recommended to replace them with a new one or will it have any long term damage without it being fitted?

D.

Your idle should be around 750-800 on a NA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Degsy said:

D.

No problem, however, as evinX said, it seems there is another issue at play here in addition to the sticky dashpot.

I have no idea what the long term effects are when you don't run one, but I'd personally persevere and try and sort the one you have (Toyota would have included it for a reason), as the part number is 22202-46060, but it appears to be discontinued.

To be honest from how the dashpot appears to work I would be very surprised if yours could not be saved, as I said all I needed to do to get mine back and working properly was clean it and ensure the piston moved freely (it may be easier to do this off the car). 

also, have you run through the diagnostic procedures listed within the Toyota workshop manuals? Maybe the ICV isn't working within spec? Also make sure all vacuum lines are routed as OE. It looks like your one that should come from the charcoal canister and then through a check valve into the top of the throttle body (iirc) is capped off. I have no clue if that would cause a high idle, but to rule that out I'd look at reconnecting it.