The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GPS Tracker (Real time) for 2022

fullrespect

Hi All,

i am about buy this GPS Tracker: https://back2you.com/products/classic-car-tracker?variant=41391055110306 to fit in my Supra.

But before i do it, i rather ask you all - if there are any better alternatives or in general recommendations about GPS devices.

I would be glad to read what you have currently fitted in yours (if any).

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-02-11 121758.png

• Like 1

I looked at GPS trackers and the key question with these rechargeable units is how often do you have to recharge them if you cannot wire them into the cars ancillary electrics. It has got to be hard to remember or be bothered to pull a unit regularly just to give it a recharge.  Prices must have gone up quite a bit as the rechargeable units I evaluated were more in the £80 range. Though those were the 2g SIM units that you ping yourself with a SMS rather than a unit with a PAYG track option. Then I looked instead at hard wired units but in the end figured if the car gets stolen do I really want to get it back?

If I had gone on to fit one, out of preference it'd have been a hard wired 2g SIM unit and they start at around £20 and go North from there with you adding in a PAYG SIM card.

9 minutes ago, rider said:

with these rechargeable units is how often do you have to recharge them

They say up to 4 months - so lets make it real 2 months. That is OK for me.

And with the above you have real tracking for 12 months. The device on its own is £60.

I asked the support, and if you like tinkering - you can hard wire it - then it will simply recharge itself of the main car battery. (Thi is kind of a good solution but then you need to make sure it will not discharge your main battery and make it flat irreversibly)

I think this is a good option if wisely connected.

Screenshot 2022-02-11 140822.png

Edited by fullrespect (see edit history)

23 hours ago, rider said:

I looked at GPS trackers and the key question with these rechargeable units is how often do you have to recharge them if you cannot wire them into the cars ancillary electrics. It has got to be hard to remember or be bothered to pull a unit regularly just to give it a recharge.  Prices must have gone up quite a bit as the rechargeable units I evaluated were more in the £80 range. Though those were the 2g SIM units that you ping yourself with a SMS rather than a unit with a PAYG track option. Then I looked instead at hard wired units but in the end figured if the car gets stolen do I really want to get it back?

If I had gone on to fit one, out of preference it'd have been a hard wired 2g SIM unit and they start at around £20 and go North from there with you adding in a PAYG SIM card.

Most modern units will send you a notification when they need recharging.

On 2/11/2022 at 12:18 PM, fullrespect said:

i am about buy this GPS Tracker: https://back2you.com/products/classic-car-tracker?variant=41391055110306 to fit in my Supra.

Hi all, i have got this tracked for 3 days now and honestly i am totally disappointed. Firstly, the route shown on the map is rather confusing and its not following the roads at all, only jumping between some places (randomly), secondly it lost tracking in a middle of the road and actually did not show my stop at the destination.

I am going to return this, but i will give them a call before i make any decisions. Just so you know, that my experience is poor and comparing to a cheap Chinese tracker  which i also own, the Back2you is not the way to go.

• Like 1