The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Super Tight Valve lash.

edviss

Hi All,

My supra never idled right and also has misfire over 5k rpm. Today I have checked the valve lash and it is terrible. They are so tight that I cant even fit 0.04mm feeler gauge in to some of them. I guess this can be the cause of my issues I am having?

The ones where I stated 0.04mm is because it is the thinnest one I have and it doesn't fit. None of the valves are in the clearance range. Not sure what previous owner was doing with this engine.. 

Also where could i get thinner shims? 

image.png.c91bd7a598b57f99e78b89afeab8b18f.png

Yeah thats super tight across the board. Quick sanity check, you are definately measuring in mm and not inches correct?

To fix this:

You will need to take cams out, and measure each shim in each bucket then calculate what shim you will need to get you back into spec. Potentially you will have a few shims that you can swap around in order to reach your desired clearance, however I'd hazard a guess that you will be needing at least 10 shims that are signficiantly smaller than what you already have. You can buy shims still from Toyota, but they can add up quick. 

This is a really useful caluclator that you can use designed for the 2JZ valve clearances: click me

Seeing that photo you sent me the other day of the burnt valve & possibly valve seat I might be tempted to do the option below, as this option wont fix any damage with valve seat. 

Or

Take head off and drop it off at a machine shop who can inspect/fix valve seats of any damage and recut the valves in. But most importantly, they can grind the tops of your valve down to reach the clearance that you are after so you dont have to change any shims. If you go down this route give me a shout and I'll give you the details of the guy SRD uses for that sort of work. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mike2JZ said:

Yeah thats super tight across the board. Quick sanity check, you are definately measuring in mm and not inches correct?

To fix this:

You will need to take cams out, and measure each shim in each bucket then calculate what shim you will need to get you back into spec. Potentially you will have a few shims that you can swap around in order to reach your desired clearance, however I'd hazard a guess that you will be needing at least 10 shims that are signficiantly smaller than what you already have. You can buy shims still from Toyota, but they can add up quick. 

This is a really useful caluclator that you can use designed for the 2JZ valve clearances: click me

Seeing that photo you sent me the other day of the burnt valve & possibly valve seat I might be tempted to do the option below, as this option wont fix any damage with valve seat. 

Or

Take head off and drop it off at a machine shop who can inspect/fix valve seats of any damage and recut the valves in. But most importantly, they can grind the tops of your valve down to reach the clearance that you are after so you dont have to change any shims. If you go down this route give me a shout and I'll give you the details of the guy SRD uses for that sort of work. 

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help as always. yes it is definitely in mm.

I will drop you a message on whatsapp as i think machine shop might be a better idea.

Edited by edviss (see edit history)