The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto to New R154 - Decent enough for track use? (or CD009)

auzzam

Hi guys,

Looking for some feedback from owners currently running the conversion and general opinions.  I've got a 1993 TT Auto currently running BPU powers. I want to make the switch to manual and plan on doing 2-3 trackdays a year.

For the short-medium term I would be looking to stay at BPU levels, but eventually want to go with a small single setup up to 600hp. 

My question is, if I'm lenient on the way I shift on  track, would a stock brand new R154 survive with BPU levels up to 600hp? With it being brand new, I'm hoping it would be able to take the odd trackday session (no launches)

My main reason for currently looking to the R154 is that it works with the stock auto diff and you can still get buy them new. The alternative within a similar budget is the cd009, but I'm unsure whether this would ever be a slick conversion with different adaptors and sensors being used and needing the diff changing is an added expense.

Any advice on which way to go is highly appreciated 🙂

P.S I know Harty (lilnum?) was running an R154 on track for years, so interested on how that worked out.

Edited by auzzam (see edit history)

• auzzam changed the title to Auto to New R154 - Decent enough for track use? (or CD009)

I think a brand new R154 is a great way to go. Littlenum use to run nearly 700 through his, and abused it like an animal ALL the time. So if it can take his abuse you will have no worries 😄

*If* I ever considered going manual that is what I'd do, not worth the risk on a second hand V160/161. I still prefer my auto box on flappy paddles though tbh, and its well into the 600's on a single turbo, and it's quicker than the manual cars lol

15 minutes ago, Burna said:

I think a brand new R154 is a great way to go. Littlenum use to run nearly 700 through his, and abused it like an animal ALL the time. So if it can take his abuse you will have no worries 😄

*If* I ever considered going manual that is what I'd do, not worth the risk on a second hand V160/161. I still prefer my auto box on flappy paddles though tbh, and its well into the 600's on a single turbo, and it's quicker than the manual cars lol

Thanks Burna, I do love the paddle conversion you done with yours lol especially when you put in the range rover selector a while back.

Do you know if littlenum was running a built box? I guess as Mike said, it shouldn't make a difference as the box will be brand new.

19 minutes ago, auzzam said:

Thanks Burna, I do love the paddle conversion you done with yours lol especially when you put in the range rover selector a while back.

Do you know if littlenum was running a built box? I guess as Mike said, it shouldn't make a difference as the box will be brand new.

Thanks mate, it is a cracking bit of kit, even if I do say so myself lol

Littlenums wasn't a built box no, but it was brand new box if I remember correctly.

3 minutes ago, Burna said:

Thanks mate, it is a cracking bit of kit, even if I do say so myself lol

Littlenums wasn't a built box no, but it was brand new box if I remember correctly.

That's what I needed to hear! Thanks a lot for the responses 👍🏽