The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Maximum hp with 68mm turbo. 6870 frame

Noz

Curious what people's opinions or experiences are for maximum hp on 99ron only.

Knowing that e85 would take a typical 68mm turbo, 6870 as an example, 1.0 AR and HP compressor housing 3" outlet etc etc, touching on 1000hp though I know it drops off during to flow capacity.

But thoughts on what capability they have.

I'm guessing around 8-900hp. As my current 62mm can do 750. So anything below that would be pointless on swapping just yet. Though I've seen some 68mm's spool real fast.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Are we talking branded turbos or Chinese ones?

Precision 68mm's seem to do what's quoted above, the Bailey's made 850hp on a 64mm at full tilt on VPower. Borg Warner's tend to be a bit laggier but will get up there as well.

You thinking of upgrading?  

4 minutes ago, Style said:

Are we talking branded turbos or Chinese ones?

Precision 68mm's seem to do what's quoted above, the Bailey's made 850hp on a 64mm at full tilt on VPower. Borg Warner's tend to be a bit laggier but will get up there as well.

You thinking of upgrading?  

Branded.

I ordered a 6870 from ocd works some time ago, but they are having supply issues and then quality issues.

They can make me a 6851r. Which using their 68mm inducer and compressor, with the same 70mm exducer wheel on a 0.96AR (I had ordered a 1.0) exhaust housing. It utilises a Garrett dual ball bearing assembly.

I can wait, or just go with this. They've had people hit the same numbers on R35 and RB30's so I'm going to go this route now. Then sell my 6251R turbo (or lend it to a friend for his V8 turbo conversion to trial).

Was just thinking what to do build wise, without going E85 if I fit the new turbo, and keep current exhaust manifold.

I'm leaning towards just going fall beans into a build. Just weighing up my options bro

I see, nice to have the options. Full beans sounds like the best option 😄

It's getting quite close to the stage of literally having to revise the entire car again to cope past 800hp comfortably as well. Diff, gearbox, clutch, prop/driveshafts, intercooler, fuel etc. will all likely need uprated again. So a turbo that makes a strong and easy 800hp sounds like the sweet spot which the 6851r would probably be ideal for really.