The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery Connectors

tayr

Hi all,

So I’m going to buy a new battery as i’m currently running a 40ah 330ca. I can’t find a bigger battery that keeps the small terminals so im going to purchase the Bosch 024 (005) which is 60Ah and 540ca

The problem I’ve got is that my facelift JDM has tiny clamps. Is it just as simple as cutting them off, pulling back the wire coating and threading them into Bigger clamps or is there another way ?

many thanks 

I'm not 100% sure about the process of fitting new clamps (but what you've said sounds right; cut off/desolder old, re-crimp/solder new). I believe the clamps may be available from Toyota if you wanted to go that route too.

My TT6 which is a small clamp facelift like yours has a Yuasa 3000 YBX3053 and that works fine, even if left for a couple weeks off a tender. Bear in mind also that the battery hold down has two 'ears' that only fit the smaller battery (mine does anyway). My NA which has the larger terminals does not have this issue, so a pre-facelift hold down would also be needed (this is probably still available from Toyota too), if the battery dimensions are also going to be larger. I personally wouldn't mess about with the terminals unless something was wrong with them, but I can understand why you'd want to change them. 

Just now, tayr said:

Thanks mate, I think I’ll grab the pre facelift connector and pre facelift battery clamp.

just need to work out if the negative connector needs changing too as no part number online for the negative one

No worries, yeah the negative one will definitely need changing, they're the same size as the positive. You could probably use another positive clamp for that (not sure why there's no part number though, that is weird).

I just cut off the small clamp and used a generic big clamp instead, but it would probably be better to change the entire negative cable for a new cable&clamp assembly from the local motor factor - it only reaches down just below the fusebox to bolt to the chassis. Positive is more complex but can be swapped for a suitable Toyota clamp.

• Like 1