The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cat replacement pipes

Matt Harwood

I had my oil & filter changed today by a very helpful man at my local Ferrari dealership.

Whilst it was up in the air I discovered that I had a leaking exhaust gasket between the 1st cat downpipe and the second cat.

So, now seems like a good time to ditch the second cat.

Is there anything I should know about doing this?

Are there any problems or disadvantages with removing the 2nd cat?

Is there a cat replacement pipe thats "The one to have"?  (I'm assuming that a pipes a pipe but thought I'd better ask).

I believe Chris Wilson supplies good quality SS replacement pipes.  Mine is a HKS replacement pipe that   I ordered with the Hiper.  By  removing the second  cat  you will get higher boost.  Many of us found that we hit fuel cut regularly with just one cat removed, so you may need a good FCD, TRL Performance provide one which is considered by many to be the best.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 8:05 pm on Feb. 9, 2002)

Quote: from Matt Harwood on 7:57 pm on Feb. 9, 2002[br]I had my oil & filter changed today by a very helpful man at my local Ferrari dealership.

Whilst it was up in the air I discovered that I had a leaking exhaust gasket between the 1st cat downpipe and the second cat.

So, now seems like a good time to ditch the second cat.

Is there anything I should know about doing this?

Are there any problems or disadvantages with removing the 2nd cat?

Is there a cat replacement pipe thats "The one to have"?  (I'm assuming that a pipes a pipe but thought I'd better ask).

My cat pipes should do nicely :-) Quality stainless, heavy gauge steel. They are a direct replacement for UK and Jap and Jap VVTi second pipes, although all three first pipes differ. I now supply the UK spec second pipe for both Jap and UK cars, and blank the second O2 sensor adaptor hole off on J-Spec ones. Why? It makes adding a wide band sensor for tuning purposes a lot easier. I can also supply them with a wide band O2 sensor port and blocking bung ready fitted, for an additional £25. The pipes are £150 each, for both first and second cat replacement types. Using someones (mine?) wideband O2 measurement gear allows a totally accurate assesment of mixture under load to be read. Nice if mods are to go beyond cat replacement at some stage.

I have stock, mail me off list if you want one, or ring me on 01948-841581 daytime. Thanks.

Pics at http://www.formula3.demon.co.uk/downpipes.zip

The pipes are alongside a pair of stock cats for comparison.

I concur, having had one fitted today :)

Top quality bit of kit.  And it raised my scraped and dinged exhaust up by about forty foot.  Well, it seems like that anyway :)  The centre section is now flush with the floorpan, and the stupidly large arse section is well out of harms way now.

The decat noise is superb, and the turbos (metal hybriddy things) spool up noticeably faster.  I found the car more eager than it was, the equivalent of j-spec turbos with a cat.

I even got some free mud on the steering wheel :biggrin: - result!

-Ian

Quote: from Ian C on 10:55 pm on Feb. 9, 2002[br]I concur, having had one fitted today :)

I even got some free mud on the steering wheel :biggrin: - result!

-Ian

The steering wheel mud was free, that underneath you owe me for...

Must get that concrete laid as SOON as the weather stabilises!

Nice to meet you and talk cars, glad you liked the de cat, and the bonus of a pipe that actually fits. That second cat bypass "THING" is going in the black museum... ;-)