The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diff ear mounts

mwilkinson

With totally refurbishing my diff (very slowly), I need to look at the best replacement options for the diff ear mounts.

I'm not aware of being able to buy OEM diff ear mounts so I'm interested in options and opinions of the alternatives.

I'm not interested in solid mounts and I would prefer the mounts to be of a colour which is sympathetic to the original.  Bright yellow and red are a no no for me.

The closest to OEM that I have found is from an Australian company called JDM restoration. 

20201110_092117.jpg.93f106194d1b7350961e825d255adc8d.jpg

I've tried contacting them via eBay but they haven't responded.  I'm not certain as to the quality of these which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on them.

JDM Restoration - Diff ear bushes

Another option are the Vibra Technics bushes.  These aren't factory in design, but they are black. The question is are they any good?

supra_diff_kit_1186_944_1271.jpg.f0b34fff7f9f1acc755ac91686353662.jpg

These seem to be readily available from places such as Whifbitz.

Vibra Technics diff bushes at Whifbitz

Whifbitz also have the Supra Pro bushes.  These are purple, which I'm not a fan of, but I'm open to function over form with these.

spf4888k.jpg.a934785d4a792ee94f184305b7dc319a.jpg

Supra Pro diff ear bushes - Whifbitz

I'm swayed towards the Vibra Technics bushes at the moment, but I'd welcome any opinions or feedback from those running their car with any of these aftermarket options.

There has to be someone with a new set of front frame cushions sitting on their shelves. If you haven't got a set of diff bushes yet they are still available but the price on those is heading North at a fast pace so best get in early if you need to. 

When I renewed all the bushes on my rear frame the front cushions looked in pretty good shape. No cracks and firm rubber, unlike the diff supports that had gone a bit spongy relative to the new ones i fitted. So, you may as well just refit the ones you have unless these is something visibly amiss with them.

7 hours ago, rider said:

There has to be someone with a new set of front frame cushions sitting on their shelves. If you haven't got a set of diff bushes yet they are still available but the price on those is heading North at a fast pace so best get in early if you need to. 

When I renewed all the bushes on my rear frame the front cushions looked in pretty good shape. No cracks and firm rubber, unlike the diff supports that had gone a bit spongy relative to the new ones i fitted. So, you may as well just refit the ones you have unless these is something visibly amiss with them.

They seem to be quite flexible / soft so I think they do need changing.

I think the only sensible option will be the Vibra Technics bushes as they have been around long enough for people to have used them and testify as to their durability.

• 2 months later...

I have decided to take a chance on the JDM Restoration diff ear mounts.  I bought a set this morning from their eBay store.  Cost with postage was just under £100 (AU $168).

I'll still be spanked for VAT and import duty so these won't be far off a set of Vibra Technics or similar.

I'd just like to retain the OEM look where possible.

I'll update this thread when they arrive and report on their fitment and quality then.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

Strongflex.eu in Poland produces relatively cheap bushes but I was really impressed with the fitment of the diff bushings, they state on the site that they will do them in black as well for a +50% in price. Still much cheaper than the alternative brands: https://www.strongflex.eu/en/tuleje-poliuretanowe-toyota-aristo-i/1475-211794a-rear-diff-mount-front-bush-sport-5902553518757.html I got the red "OEM" style hardness in my EUspec diff and they use the large OEM steel washers as well so you would barely see the difference between these and OEM if they are black.

Diffje.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I went ahead and bought a set of the JDM Restoration OEM looking diff ear mounts from Australia via eBay.

No issue with purchase and they were dispatched very quickly.  I also didn't get hit for any import duty or VAT.

I did note on the advert that they were for A type diffs.  I have a B type diff, but I wasn't sure that these bushes were different.  Alas they don't fit, but they look well made and more importantly, they look OEM.

I'm contemplating donating these to someone with an A type diff who can report back on their quality following installation.

20210219_170708.thumb.jpg.27500a78b688867ad0547cadaa48f67c.jpg

20210216_110815.thumb.jpg.1c612ba52b32fd5b1870ceda47259748.jpg

20210216_110843.thumb.jpg.4449f7e69a3a58405edc1873436b6b10.jpg

20210216_110838.thumb.jpg.a5437dc645dd7d9f44cac3dd6d554ab2.jpg

On 2/19/2021 at 5:12 PM, mwilkinson said:

So I went ahead and bought a set of the JDM Restoration OEM looking diff ear mounts from Australia via eBay.

No issue with purchase and they were dispatched very quickly.  I also didn't get hit for any import duty or VAT.

I did note on the advert that they were for A type diffs.  I have a B type diff, but I wasn't sure that these bushes were different.  Alas they don't fit, but they look well made and more importantly, they look OEM.

I'm contemplating donating these to someone with an A type diff who can report back on their quality following installation.

20210219_170708.thumb.jpg.27500a78b688867ad0547cadaa48f67c.jpg

20210216_110815.thumb.jpg.1c612ba52b32fd5b1870ceda47259748.jpg

20210216_110843.thumb.jpg.4449f7e69a3a58405edc1873436b6b10.jpg

20210216_110838.thumb.jpg.a5437dc645dd7d9f44cac3dd6d554ab2.jpg

What's the difference between type a and b? I'm doing an underside resto on mine and will be needing some of these? Cheers

2 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

The smaller case, or A type diffs, have the 200mm crown wheel. 

The larger case, or B type diffs, have the 220mm crown wheel.

Im pretty sure this is the case, B type = tt6, A type = tt auto, if so how much would you like for it as il be needing to purchase these?

Cheers

3 hours ago, raddys said:

Im pretty sure this is the case, B type = tt6, A type = tt auto, if so how much would you like for it as il be needing to purchase these?

Cheers

Yeah yours' will be A type as it's a GZ, although not all JDM TT6's came with a B03B unfortunately (mine is an A03B as its a facelift). Grannas Racing has a good table to decipher which spec had what (although I don't think the dates are quite right, iirc V161's only came in RZ's after 08/1997), but it is useful nonetheless.

Edited by m12aak
missed out some punctuation (see edit history)

I'd like to get to the bottom of this bush size before selling or donating to someone.

I've been out and measured the diff ear bush on my B type diff casing (from UK Spec car) and the JDM Restoration ones.

20210222_183813.thumb.jpg.083a7bcc7008d11e5e33429f5083d505.jpg

A Type Diff Ear Bush

A = 24mm, B = 16mm, C = 68mm

B Type Diff Ear Bush

A = 28mm, B = 17mm & C = 72mm

I've got a brand new diff ear bolt that fits in the B type bush, but not the JDM Restortaion A type bush.

I've had a look at the Toyota EPC on Toyodiy and Megazip and can only find a single part number.

90105-12218

Bolt, No.4 (For Rear Differential Carrier Set)

[05.1993 - 07.1996] JZA80

I don't seem able to find an alternative part number for 08.1996 to 2002 period.

Can anyone with a small case diff confirm if they have used this same bolt with their diff, or take some measurements of the diff bush?

At face value it seems the ID of the JDM Restoration's bush is too small for the OEM diff ear bolt.