The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aristo Tiptronic Hybrid

Hi all,

1st off I'd like to say a very big thank you to David P (and to Rossi Dave) for putting together my Hybrid gearbox using an A340E from an Aristo Tiptronic. This is apparently only the 2nd one he's ever done, although we found out a couple of issues on the way. The biggest issue is around the electronics - apparently the a340e Tip only has one speed sensor. It does not have the 3 wire speed sensor which would drive the speedometer. For me that is not such a big issue, as I am driving the gearbox from a SupraStick transmission controller which can work from the ABS sensors to calculate the correct shift timing for the gearbox. I also don't have to worry about the speedometer as I am currently driving my it from my EcuMaster stand-alone, which provides the ability to not only modify the speed sensor input signal (so it can work from the gearbox speed sensor or from an ABS sensor), but can also modify the output signal to match almost any kind of speedometer - a neat device.

Unfortunately, the lack of the 2nd speed sensor is an issue if you are not using a stand-alone which supports modifying the speedometer input/output signals. If so, you are going to need to either spend some money another device or find a way to divide the existing 12 pulse signal from the gearbox into a format which the speedometer will understand (Sorry Dave!). There are a couple of DIY projects on Youtube which show how to do this (here is one:

), but they do require a certain amount of electronics skills.

I should be putting this box into the car within the next few weeks, so I will update on progress.

The Tiptronic box has certainly bowled a wobbler at the last fence. :(

It's a good job that you're existing ECU's can adjust for this. :)

Shane confirmed that it would need 2 of these signal interface adjusters to keep the Supra or Soarer OE ECU & Systems happy.

https://l.messenger.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dakotadigital.com%2Findex.cfm%2Fpage%2Fptype%3Dproduct%2Fproduct_id%3D126%2Fcategory_id%3D-1%2Fmode%3Dprod%2Fprd126.htm&h=AT3pp1YkIiU3CW4CfaD29T-oFiRWhJIA9cX0lYsQiCysgBpD2iJMB2zqX-SkSFsaMejJu7YZAMHGwARqKN4Aor65oz1f8kuwvx7YIYUgVtyKqLD_eP2uLXvJOiNMmX1Oi2d5gQ

But he also tells me that these Gizmo's would be "easy enough to make".

If anyone want's the sole rights to make a pair of Gizmo's for further conversions using a Tiptronic transmission, please feel free, wrestling with resistors and dicking with diodes is not my thing.

The 2-wire 12-pulse per final-shaft rev-signal needs to be split, with one of these signals divided by 3 and fed out with 2 wires yet the other signal fed in by 2 wires and exit with 3, "figure of adjustment" yet to be worked out?

Purpose for/of 3rd wire to be defined?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I may have spoken too soon about being able to drive my speedometer from the EcuMaster, it doesn't support routing that signal to 1 of the custom output channels. So I'm now left with an interesting problem: the 2 wire speed sensor on the tiptonic box works using Variable Reluctance. That means it's output will be a sine wave which increases both in frequency and voltage as the speed goes up - basically, it generates a small AC current. The signal that the speedometer is expecting is a 5 V square wave with 4 pulses per revolution. This is the same problem that Rossi Dave has - and the simple solution is that I need to buy a Dakota universal speedometer signal interface to convert the AC from the 2 wire VR sensor to the 5 V square with the speedometer needs. The alternative is to do some homebrewed electronics to convert the AC into a square wave, and then put together a signal divider to get it to the right frequency. Oh what fun...

I just checked, and the ABS sensors are 2 wire, so they are using variable reluctance - the same as the 2 wire sensor on the gearbox. That means they'll be generating a sine wave, not a square wave, and you won't be able to use one to drive the speedometer without some intervening signal processing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.