The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chas's NA-t Build

Chasz86

Hi guys so here it is, the start of the project write up I said I would do. So I bought a spare GE block 18 months ago with the view to turbo it. At the time the supra was a daily and felt the best thing to do was slowly build up the engine as much as possible before the transplant. This being my first build I think it took me 18 months to build up the courage to start, that and hell of a lot of research, to be honest I was much of a silent member in that time, reading up on a lot but maybe not asking enough questions or getting involved in discussions. Just felt I didn't know enough to warrant input. It was the last few weeks getting stuck into the forum that clarified a lot of my own research and simply provided answers and solutions to questions I could not answer myself.

Right the build, so it was my initial intentions to build a kit up myself, I kept an eye out for things I could afford to pick up from members, the main items being a free tt head gasket w/ the engine, a spare autobox, Emanage ECU, and a HKS intercooler. This kit was taking forever to build up so needed some cash injection. so a month ago I made the decision to not fear spending and get the parts in. I started talking to Dan8 who was also starting a NA-t build and that has been a real help to have someone to bounce ideas off and two lots of research compiled. I ended up injecting some cash into the project to get it moving deciding to buy the XS power 2020 kit in-order to simplify the project and really get it moving.

My goal is for 400bhp and to fully re-build engine as I am uncertain of blocks history. I wanted to future proof the engine in case I wanted to dial up the boost in the future too. I also have the view to uprate the autobox using DaveP hybrid specs.

so a few weeks I started with stripping the block.

The weekend just gone we got to the bulk of the ordering.

Parts on order

XS power turbo kit 2020

Future motorsports modified tt oil pump

Parts arrived

Full GE gasket/seals kit

GTE head gasket

Emanage ultimate ECU

TT autobox

NA autobox

Piston rings

ARP head bolts

Parts needed

Walbro fuel pump (Dan8 has)

440cc injectors (Dan8 has)

**for the DavidP hybrid box

T.T. flex-plate

T.T. auto propshaft with donut

T.T. diff-flange for N/A diff

Edited by Chasz86 (see edit history)

I did a bit of work on the head.

I left the cylinder heads soaking in ATF to check for leaks and loosen carbon deposits

IMG_20200523_140502.jpg

then the head got a thorough clean

IMG_20200523_151257.jpg

IMG_20200523_151302.jpg

IMG_20200523_151306.jpg

IMG_20200523_151309.jpg

I doused the internals with WD-40 to for protection until further work

IMG_20200523_151317.jpg

So it came out looking like the block was 3D printed ffs.

IMG_20200524_141214.jpg

I now don't know whether to run with it, pop some clear coat or to choose a darker blue and treat this like a primer.

I put another couple coats down and I will return to see the results at the weekend. I couldn't take more photos in between laughing. I have a feeling there were a couple spots which still held grease so will have to clean them up an patch up.

Edited by Chasz86 (see edit history)

So plans are this weekend to get the valves lapped in and replace seals. I've had to order a new colour for the block so that delayed block by a week. Thinking I should put all new sensors in the block while it's out, they can't be too expensive. Will dig out the tt gasket, which after 18 months is buried in the shed now.

What's people's thoughts about cam gears if some generic ebays are fine then could get some new shiny ones...

Yes I have gone for that, I haven't had delivery yet its still sailing from us. I will take some pics when it has arrived though

/QUOTE]

Lovely, excited to see it. Im toying with the idea of buying a new engine and doing it up out the car so i can still drive mine about.

This is the brochure they sent me

Here is a full list of what the kit features.

this is with the 3mm upgraded mani..

Tubular manifold with a T4 turbo mount and a 4 bolt wastegate flange.

This the same manifold as companies such as SRT and Boostlogic except

we made a few changes in the construction changed a couple pipe

degrees for better blow and clearance which we have patented.

3in Vband down pipe. Now you will have to modify your y pipe but this

is simple. We have people cut the y off and extend it to the down pipe

with a change over exhaust pipe.

T4 Turbo which is designed spot on to the Garrett GT35 its oil driven

journal bearing with a .60 ar on the hot side and a .86 ar on the cold

side. This translates into full spool around 3k

HKS Style 50mm wastegate which has a 10psi spring in it already but if

desired to go lower or higher HKS 50mm springs work well with it.

100% Bolt on intercooler kit. This kit utilizes a large intercooler

without getting rid of your crash bar. It also comes with the brackets

to mount it. The hot side piping is 2.5 and the cold side is 2.75

which accommodates the stock MAF specs and location. All 3ply

couplings and t-bolt style clamps.

BOV is Greddy RS spec

Comes with all oil feed components such as the t-fitting for the

engine block, oil fittings for the turbo feed and drain,oil feed steel

braided line, and oil drain line.

All hardware for mounting the manifold,turbo,wastegate,bov, etc in

included in the kit. Also comes with all gaskets for everything

including manifold to engine.

Price for the entire kit shipped to the US is $1350

UK SHIP would be approx $300 extra

Full spool at 3k will be nice are you using the 10psi spring or not your running the TT gasket anyways arnt you be interesting to see how it all performs mate looking forward to more of the thread see how it all bolts together and finished results

These manifolds look like they've come a long way since the first ones came out. Althought I'll never understand why they still stick with the 4 bolt wastegate flange when literally every other manifold on the market uses a V-band. It just means you'll have to cut it off and weld you're own one one.

Looking forward to the updates :thumbs: