The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Definitive CD009/JK40 Supra guide

P_Bazz

Hi all, I've decided to do this write up of the entire process of swapping a Supra with a 350/370Z gearbox. There seems to be a lot of bits of information out there and I will try to bundle as much as I can in this thread!

Chapter 1: Selecting the right gearbox.

There are a variety of CD00X gearboxes starting with the CD001 back in the ‘03 350Z to the JK40c that is still being used in the 370Z today. The strongest boxes are those of the CD009 or JK40 type. They can be found on the later model Zeds (2006 and on).

The most significant change in gearbox design occurs around late 2006, when the 350Z changed from the VQ35DE to the VQ35HR engine:

- The shifter tripod changed from a solid piece to a more open piece with rubber bushings

- The bellhouse bolt pattern is different

- The external slave cylinder design changed to an internal one combined with the throwout bearing.

With the later gearboxes being much stronger I highly recommend buying one from a later model easily identified by the changes mentioned above (if the part number sticker happens to be missing from the bellhousing). The 370Z gearbox can be identified by it's Rev Match module on top of the gearbox (small black box with a connector just in front of the shifter tripod). This gearbox is named the JK40 instead of CD009.

There were CD009 gearboxes mated to a VQ35DE engine in 2006 but they are hard to find and it's even easier to buy the wrong (weaker) model as they are not easily identified other than the OE part number sticker. Furthermore most of the aftermarket shifters, parts and accessories are made for the later model gearbox.

There are some advantages to the older style gearboxes though; they use an external slave cylinder which is easy to bleed, easy to service and easy to set up. A Supra that is already manual can just change the bottom clutch hose to a Mazda 323 front brake hose and run the OE Nissan slave cylinder. Another advantage is that they are easy to find and dirt cheap because a lot more pre-facelift Zeds were built. The obvious disadvantage being that if it's not a CD009 unit they will fail eventually. They are known to fail even with stock VQ35 power levels (around 280 bhp). The later the gearbox was built, the stronger it is (a CD005 is already much better than a CD001, CD003 etc).

Chapter 2: Selecting the right parts for the swap.

Most of this depends on budget or the power level you're seeking to achieve, nonetheless there are some essential basic parts that every CD009 swap needs.

If you are starting with an automatic Supra:

- Clutch Master cylinder

- Brake and Clutch pedal assemblies

- Clutch line

- Manual transmission tunnel piece

- Manual dashboard trim piece

- Manual ECU or disable the Neutral switch in the ECU to be able to start the car

Parts you need to fit the CD009 into the Supra:

- Gearbox mount, loads of aftermarket options, these are the same for all CD00X gearboxes

- Propshaft, again the same for all boxes and lots of choices aftermarket or custom

- Shifter, this depends on the gearbox (old or new style). You can shorten the stock tripod unit to come forward or buy aftermarket (recommended)

- Gearbox adapter plate or kit (more info below)

The gearbox adapter kits come in many different forms and shapes. I will list the 3 most popular options:

Adapter plate with custom flywheel

This is the cheapest and easiest option. It is as the name suggests a thick piece of steel or aluminium to adapt the 2JZ bolt pattern to a CD00X pattern (remember to buy the one that fits your gearbox!). The flywheel uses a stock size starter gear but the surface is much larger to accommodate for a single plate 350Z/370Z clutch. The advantages of this system are a lot of clutch options, it’s relatively cheap, easy to install and works with both the external and internal slave cylinder gearboxes. The main disadvantages are that you’re limited to single plate clutches and the gearbox will be almost impossible to install with the engine still in the car with the CD00X being much larger than a W58, R154 or Getrag.

Auto Bellhouse adapter kit

This is a good option for those that are swapping from an auto to manual. This kit removes the stock CD00X bellhouse (needs to be cut off) and adapts to a stock A340 automatic bellhouse. This style always uses an internal slave cylinder. The advantages are a much smaller gearbox bellhouse, using the stock bolt holes and bolts to mount to the engine and being able to remove the box with the engine still in the car. The disadvantage is you always need a more exotic clutch setup, either full custom/aftermarket or a W55 flywheel and clutch (IS300 manual) with a S14 friction plate to match the Nissan gearbox spline.

Custom bellhouse kit

I believe Serial9 is the only company to produce such a kit, but it’s basically the same as above but with a custom fabricated bellhouse to adapt the CD00X to the 2JZ. Expensive but sure to fit properly if you buy the entire kit of course. At least the gearbox is cheap…

Chapter 3: Finalising the swap and FAQs

With the information in chapters 1 & 2 you now should have a driving 6 speed Supra but there are still some things to consider.

The Zed gearboxes do not have a speed sensor (those cars have them on the differential) so you will need some aftermarket solution for this;

- A wheel speed sensor converter (e.g. a Dakota digital converter) to use one of the ABS sensors as a speed input for the dashboard and the ECU

- A GPS speed module

- An aftermarket speed sensor kit for the propshaft

The Nissan reverse switch will work, you just need to change the connector on the gearbox loom to a Nissan one.

If you decide to buy the gearbox new from Nissan you will always get the latest model and revision, the external slave cylinder version will always be a CD009 so no worries that you will get a weaker version.

When using the internal slave cylinder gearbox, make sure to upgrade the slave cylinder to a aftermarket unit. The OE Nissan unit is made from plastic(?!) and will fail.

The CD009 has a reverse lockout the same as the Getrag does, most aftermarket shifters either bypass this or have some clever solution with extra springs in the lockout pin. This will depend on the shifter kit you buy.

FAQs

Why choose a CD009 over the Getrag?

Because if you manage to break it you can easily buy another one either new or from the junkyard for a fraction of the price.

What do the numbers that are cast in the housing mean and can I identify my gearbox with it?

The numbers are the gearbox serial and revision numbers, you can not safely identify a CD00X gearbox that way as for example a CD0 #1 is a CD009 but the CD5 #1 might not be a CD005 (it can also be CD009). The only reliable way is the sticker on the bellhousing.

Which differential should I use with my CD009?

One of the advantages of the CD009 is that it’s gearing is almost similar to a Getrag. This means you can use any TT6 differential. Alternatively you can use a UK spec auto 3.5 diff for a more aggressive gearing. The Jspec auto 3.7 diff is very aggressive, the Nismo 370Z runs this setup but that is a high revving NA engine that needs the gearing to have some fun with it. The other Zeds use a 3.5 final gear.

How much power can a CD009 hold?

The exact breaking point is unknown but the Sound Performance 350Z (twin turbo around 1000 bhp) ran repeated 9 second quarter miles for a couple of years until finally the input shaft exploded (read this on a forum so must be true :D). It will hold the abuse of a single turbo street Supra no problem.

Which oil do I use in my CD009?

I recommend Nissan OE gearbox oil, it’s a bit of a weird viscosity (75W85) and it needs GL-4 oil as GL-5 will damage the synchros. If you do use aftermarket oil I recommend 75W90 GL-4 but make absolutely sure it’s GL-4, this oil is hard to find as almost everything in that viscosity is GL-5. The capacity is 2,9 liter.

Can I modify a 350Z propshaft to fit the Supra?

No, you can not. The propshaft on the Zed cars are made of carbon fibre and are too long for the Supra to fit or adapt.

Edited by P_Bazz (see edit history)

Size difference between a W58 5 speed and the CD009 gearbox

attachment.php?attachmentid=235705&stc=1&d=1589315398

A 2JZ with a CD009 adapter plate and custom billet flywheel. As you can see the 350Z clutch is much larger than that of a Supra from the size of the starter gear.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235706&stc=1&d=1589315630

A CD009 gearbox with the bellhouse cut off and a adapter plate fitted for an automatic bellhouse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235707&stc=1&d=1589315820

A stock Nissan plastic slave cylinder and a aftermarket steel unit

attachment.php?attachmentid=235708&stc=1&d=1589315903 attachment.php?attachmentid=235709&stc=1&d=1589316115

The older style throw out bearing with a fork.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235711&stc=1&d=1589316432

The Nissan OE external slave cilinder with a Mazda 323 front brake hose on a manual Supra.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235710&stc=1&d=1589316432

The difference in the stock shifter tripods.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235713&stc=1&d=1589317831

An original bellhouse sticker stating which transmission it is.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235712&stc=1&d=1589317831

A CD009 older style serial #1 being a DE engine gearbox #2 would have been HR.

attachment.php?attachmentid=235714&stc=1&d=1589317831

Gearboxes.png

c6b6fcb9-0206-4e0a-ab06-39fae4c7a7e6.jpg

in progress pic 2.jpg

Z34OEMPowertrainPicture__97881.1538408030.jpg

1.jpg

Slave cylinder.png

Throwout.png

ID sticker.jpg

Resampled952011-06-289522-59-519539.jpg

Trans.jpeg

Edited by P_Bazz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the complete cd009 setup, my only complaints are the noise/the shift feel....

Now i've been looking at the magnum-F from grannas and it'll set me back around 8k all to get rid of some noise/shift feel.

My buddy darren just built his cd009 conversion and he said it sounds nothing like my one (must be due to being twin plate) and he has gone with the gktech shifter.... it feels AMAZING nothing like my shifter...

Heres a video i made of how terrible my shifter is so i advise everyone to stay away from it to be honest, it was a fenfab shifter? maybe its been changed in its design if he even still makes it but the one i have is disgusting.

it has no reverse lockout, shifts going across to different gears are to short, feel like your going to money shift everytime you change gear.

I'll be ordering the GKTech shifter when my car goes in for engine rebuild etc and will save myself the 8K on the magnum-F

• 1 year later...