The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost issue & Pressure tank question

Samurai 20V

Hi Chaps.

Have an issue on my TT6 BPU.

On 6th gear mainly, when i floor the car below 3700rpm, get a low boost pressure, past the transition same boost.

I have to come off the gas, then floor it again for it to boost normally.

I had the issue before, it was a pinhole in the vac line to the IACV VSV.

Checked the same two lines, one seemed very loose, replaced it.

Car seems normal again.

I pulled this hose again after about over an hour, the whoosh was very slight.

Is this normal? How long does the pressure tank hold pressure once the car is parked up?

Thanks.

Loads of good info here..............there is a link a little way through to another thread re the sequential system and the Link pipes collapsing, if your link pipes (x2 accordion ones you can see from above) are possibly original I'd change these as a matter of course, they are like a 20 year service item! :) as are probably most of the pipes, but these collapse internally and new ones will 100% help/improve things even if they aren't the current cause.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?271772-Is-my-pressure-tank-leaking&highlight=pressure+tank

Thanks guys.

Just for some history, 3 years ago, I changed all VSV's, vac pipes, link pipes, IACV, EGCV and BOV and pressure tank.

Car has been perfect since then till now.

I wasn't sure if the pressure tank bleeds it's pressure off after the car being parked for a while.

The car is making its full boost, just this issue in sixth gear.

It's odd that it's only 6th? perhaps that's only where you notice it?

Boost controller all ok if you have one?

Yes mate, HKS EVC, working fine..

To my understanding I thought the pressure tank only holds pressure in TTC mode, hence why if you trying to detect a vac line link you do the TTC mode to see if your system is holding?

Ah yes, you are correct Rob, I went back to the thread above that is true.

I'm gonna drive the car with the replaced hose to confirm if the problem is gone, if not, will try TTC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I used a bicycle tyre pump with gauge to pressurise the vacuum system.

I didn’t go past 12psi, as I am unsure of the max pressure what the system can take.

Connect the pump to the steel pipe that is marked no 10 on the picture, then inflate to 12psi.

Check the gauge to see how long it takes for the pressure to fall.

Hi

I used a bicycle tyre pump with gauge to pressurise the vacuum system.

I didn’t go past 12psi, as I am unsure of the max pressure what the system can take.

Connect the pump to the steel pipe that is marked no 10 on the picture, then inflate to 12psi.

Check the gauge to see how long it takes for the pressure to fall.

Hi, what picture do you mean? I want to do this test because I am getting a similar problem, but in all gears (auto)