The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Talk to me about custom gaming PC’s!

JackyBoi

I’m sure there’s plenty of people on this forum who are as into gaming as I am, so hopefully you can offer some sound advice! I’ve literally just finished listing the final parts for my build after much contemplation and confusion, but finally I’ve settled. I need a fellow enthusiast who knows more than I do (can’t be difficult) to offer some advice on the components below and to make recommendations in relation to upgrading/downgrading components, or simply going for a different model/brand. This PC will strictly be for 2K gaming (with future 4k potential), streaming and video editing, so keep that in mind!

- CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K 3.8GHz Kaby Lake (maybe an i7 upgrade, undecided)

- GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX

- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB (will later add another 16GB)

- Motherboard: ASUS LGA-1151 STRIX Z270 ATX

- PSU: Be Quiet! 700w BN275

- SSD: 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe

- HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5” SATA III

- Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB Tempered Glass

- Case Cooling: Corsair SP120 RGB 120mm LED 3-pack

- Case Lighting: RGB LED Strips

- CPU Cooling: Cooler Master MA610P OR Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi

- CPU Thermal Paste: Be Quiet! DC1 Performance Thermal Compound 3g

If anyone here has a sweet rig of their own - not the Supra [emoji6] - I’d love to see a specs list and even some pictures if it isn’t too much hassle. It’s a complete nightmare trying to choose PC parts as their is such a variety to choose from, so seeing what others have opted for would be very helpful indeed. Thanks guys!

I've always been into my gaming PC's

Recently just built my dual 1080 gaming machine in one of the corsair cubes.

Geo on here is also well into building custom machines.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=225111&stc=1&d=1517225936

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=225110&stc=1&d=1517225877

Wow, that’s some serious processing power right there! What’s your FPS like when playing a 4K game at max resolution? Also what monitor do you use? :D

Why only a 4 core 4 thread CPU, with potential for streaming and video editing I would future proof with more cores :D

Ryzen refresh is due next month, if anything like the initial Ryzen launch will give Intel another shake-up so I wouldn't be spending any large sums on a new build this month.

Wow, that’s some serious processing power right there! What’s your FPS like when playing a 4K game at max resolution? Also what monitor do you use? :D

So far im on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor untill some proper 120hz 4k panels in similar sizes come out. Overkill for the moment but they should be out this year.

Why only a 4 core 4 thread CPU, with potential for streaming and video editing I would future proof with more cores :D

Ryzen refresh is due next month, if anything like the initial Ryzen launch will give Intel another shake-up so I wouldn't be spending any large sums on a new build this month.

Wez beat me to it, either existing Ryzens or refresh, better value for money and much more 'real' cores. Built two Ryzens last year and quite impressed, particularly with future proofing number of cores versus cost.

I would swap out the PSU for a Be Quiet one, so pleased i upgraded mine to it.

It does what it says on the tin

Good shout, quieter is definitely better!

I bought a second hand i5 quad core dell optiplex from eBay, put a low profile 1050ti in it, along with 16gb of RAM and an SSD. Runs PUBG at full settings and the whole thing cost me £295. Was basically a combo of spare parts and eBay, but it does the job.

That’s definitely a bargain, although I wouldn’t be going to eBay for second hand components!

Why only a 4 core 4 thread CPU, with potential for streaming and video editing I would future proof with more cores [emoji3]

I’m not too hot on CPU’s to be honest, I was informed that a high-range i5 K-series would be plenty for my needs with future potential to change to an i7. Plus I’d like to go with Intel instead of AMD [emoji6]

So far im on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor untill some proper 120hz 4k panels in similar sizes come out. Overkill for the moment but they should be out this year.

Very nice! I’ve opted for the Predator WQHD G-Sync IPS monitor, 165Hz but it’s only 27” unfortunately. Supposed to be near enough the best for 2K though. Like you said, I wouldn’t bother buying a 4K monitor until some higher refresh rates become available!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/919e7369569a67e5517fef4abd613c1f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/2d730d72f3873b5b1ff07e522ba75156.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/76525774951eb1e706004a07de582749.jpg

Forgive the laziness taking a photo of the specs but I couldn’t be bothered to type it all out at work lol.

Spec sounds good on yours but is there any reason for the i5 over the i7? Seems like you’ve gone all out in the system apart from that.....

/QUOTE]

Nice choice on the case [emoji6] and no reason other than I had been told the i5 7600K would be plenty for my needs and that the i7’s are overkill unless building some dual-GPU 4K beast! Although looking at the overall build maybe it’d be worth forking out the extra £100ish for the i7

Good shout, I didn’t realise that the AeroCool was a ‘basic’ one

That’s definitely a bargain, although I wouldn’t be going to eBay for second hand components!

I’m not too hot on CPU’s to be honest, I was informed that a high-range i5 K-series would be plenty for my needs with future potential to change to an i7. Plus I’d like to go with Intel instead of AMD [emoji6]

Very nice! I’ve opted for the Predator WQHD G-Sync IPS monitor, 165Hz but it’s only 27” unfortunately. Supposed to be near enough the best for 2K though. Like you said, I wouldn’t bother buying a 4K monitor until some higher refresh rates become available!

Nice choice on the case ;) and no reason other than I had been told the i5 7600K would be plenty for my needs and that the i7’s are overkill unless building some dual-GPU 4K beast! Although looking at the overall build maybe it’d be worth forking out the extra £100ish for the i7

I’d say go for the i7 if you’re going to be spending a decent amount to start with you might as well, especially if you want to be streaming that’s a lot of processing!

I’d say go for the i7 if you’re going to be spending a decent amount to start with you might as well, especially if you want to be streaming that’s a lot of processing!

/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea then. At this rate I’ll have to wait an extra month to buy the whole lot! But I know it’ll be worth it. Just read the full spec list of yours, what a monster lol. Couldn’t really have gone for better components! :thumbs:

I totally get the attraction of building stuff with funky coloured lights etc, but how about walking an alternative path - build a rig in the cloud with as much horsepower as you want. Only paying for the compute you actually use whilst playing, with an optimised AWS spot instance running at maybe 20 cents per hour...and somebody else has the hassle of babying the hardware and doing the networking. Then you just RDP the rendered desktop.

Do the maths: someone mentioned a £295 build. At 20c per hour that 2 solid months of game time 24*7 before the expense break even, and you're not stuck with obsolete hardware to dispose of come upgrade time, you just click a button. done. Just a suggestion.

CPU - Intel Core I7 7700K S1151 4.2G

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming

RAM - 16G Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti AORUS

Cooler - DeepCool CAPTAIN 120 EX

Some Red case lighting

COOLERMASTER STACKER 830 that i've had for years.

650w (i think) psu

Deathadder Chroma mouse.

Steelseries Apex keybord.

AOC 27" 144hz screen (2560x1440)

Asus ultrawide screen (2560x1080)

then a small old samsung running (1440x900)

Cant remember how to make the pics big.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]225157[/ATTACH]