The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for information

Kckazdude

You misunderstood, I have the Japanese destruction manual for the vvt-i tiptronic box not sure if there is any relevant info contained inside. I thought I told you I had managed to pick one up...

Color me VERY interested. Is it a full tear down and operation book or just an electrical/mechanical diagnostic manual?

David

To answer your ??'s

Valve body probably wouldn't do me much more than what I have now. I have taken mine apart in order to clean the valves inside that like to gum up while sitting and also to modify it and the separator plate to hold the power I intend to make with my 2J.

In reference to the torque convertor, I used the convertor from this transmission and had it stalled to eliminate the larger shaft and pump discrepancies that are in the wild. At some point around 94 - 96 Toyota started implementing larger pumps and input shafts starting with the Lexus and bleeding into the Supra. Actually my first thought was to build a hybrid transmission using the front 2J half and the tail shaft and housing from my 7M. My MKIII body utilizes a mechanical speedometer and ABS exciter that are not on the 2J shaft. Doing that research I found the shafts are not interchangeable at all even though both are A340E boxes. It also led me to look into the Jeep and Volvo variants of the A340E to see what I could do there. I finally settled that I wanted to use this box as it was designed specifically for the higher output 2JZ-GTE VVTi. Also, since it uses PWM control for the throttle pressure control means I can use my standalone PCM for traction control strategies and complete shift control. If I can push past this VB separator plate issue I will have a very nice streetable transmission that will handle ~600WHP

Edited by Kckazdude
spelling errors (see edit history)

Thank you for your input.

I have come across strange differences with torque converter fits that could only be resolved by trying alternative ones, so it looks like try them and see will come around again!

Unless Frank's Rocking Horse Manual unravels Mr T's magical mystery, it looks like you could be buying 3 sets of gaskets to solve his valve-body conundrum?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Sorry to say that was a waste for me. Although David P has gathered a lot of info and put it one place. It is nothing diligent searching on Google hasn't already yielded. On top of that, he is just re-posting what has been known for years without really understanding the fluid dynamics of what is going on. There is more than just shimming the accumulators. I do commend him for helping the community as he has done.

For clarification:

I am well aware there is more that can be done than just shimming the accumulators and if that is what someone wants, they can simply spend lots of money on a Titan or Boost Logic built box.

What I provide is a budget option fast-changing well-mannered transmission for up to 500-550ftlbs?

Here in the U.K., at this time pre un-loved auto boxes can be picked up for £150 or less and anyone with an auto Supra who has a brain that functions correctly, will have one of these cheap as chips transmissions shimmed up and stashed in the shed as a spare, ready for the inevitable day that the clutches wear out.

It's not only the shimming, it is also maximum attention MUST be paid to ATF temperature and maintainence, which is essential for power levels above 400ftlb and/or with use of a higher stall torque-converter.

Here's a clip of what is achieved for a mere £50.

A-haaaa, don't hide your light under an :innocent: bushel.

That might be just the ticket? :)

:D Maybe...

Color me VERY interested. Is it a full tear down and operation book or just an electrical/mechanical diagnostic manual?

It’s the full manual but entirely in Japanese, I try to cross reference it with the US manual I have. If David wouldn’t mind pointing me in the right direction we might be able to help you get to the bottom of this.

It’s the full manual but entirely in Japanese, I try to cross reference it with the US manual I have. If David wouldn’t mind pointing me in the right direction we might be able to help you get to the bottom of this.

Responding to the horses mouth would be a better idea than a Chinese Japanese whisper. :)

P.S. Whatever schematics/information from it is required, please post on this page to become a resource for all.

I would so be willing to pay you to convert it to a PDF file that I could download. It can't be any worse than the Japanese wiring manual I used to reference to build my wire harness.

I would so be willing to pay you to convert it to a PDF file that I could download. It can't be any worse than the Japanese wiring manual I used to reference to build my wire harness.

No need to do that. If I can figure a way to get it made into a PDF it can just be uploaded here as reference material for David’s group and the tech section on the forum.

The more information that can be put out there about these cars the better.

E2A

Any members reading this able to help convert a Tiptronic manual into a working PDF for this forum?

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)