The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Supra Project - 'Northern Monkey'

T2 MSW

Update after the weekend.

Engine and Gearbox was pulled on Saturday and I can now see why the auto box was slipping and so sluggish, it had next to no fluid in it! Engine has been badly bodged at some point in its life with incorrect bolts used to screw the water pump together and rubber gunk used to seal the cam covers - hence why there is more oil on the outside of the engine than the inside.

Luckily none of which matters to me as I'm only after the block and a few of the bolts for when I come to put it all back together as a GTE.

Engine is now in strip down and after a few more bits tonight its mostly in parts. Stuck now as need an impact gun for the cam pulleys as they have been done well past their required torque or locktighed in.

• 3 weeks later...

Busy weekend on the car. Got the engine bay fully stripped down, back to metal and primed.

Before work

during Stripping and rust treatment

After a couple of coats of rust treatment and primer

Now a few more coats of primer, Wet sand back and ready for paint.

No GE head is for sale. Bought a second hand GTE head and its currently at the machine shop having a rebuild with 1mm oversized valves, BC spring and titanium retainers.

Its the same cost to do a built engine from a NA block as it is to buy a second hand GTE engine.

No GE head is for sale. Bought a second hand GTE head and its currently at the machine shop having a rebuild with 1mm oversized valves, BC spring and titanium retainers.

Its the same cost to do a built engine from a NA block as it is to buy a second hand GTE engine.

I thought thats what you were doing. Im doing the same. This couldnt have come at a better time! Il be following this very closely indeed as i dont think putting a gte head on a ge block is as easy as i first thought

I thought thats what you were doing. Im doing the same. This couldnt have come at a better time! Il be following this very closely indeed as i dont think putting a gte head on a ge block is as easy as i first thought

The blocks are identical, The GE is just missing the oil squirters (which Im having machined in) and the internals (piston, rods etc) are different

The blocks are identical, The GE is just missing the oil squirters (which Im having machined in) and the internals (piston, rods etc) are different

I know the block is the same but from what i have read some of the ancillaries are different. Pipe coming off of the back of the water pump, alternator and afew other bits. It was documented in a supra forums thread although i dont know how accurate it was. They were also using the stock twins

Yeah, but if your building an engine they are all things you would replace anyway.

The Water pumps are different but just put the TT setup on it, and the Pipe doesn't go round the back of the block as theres no need for a NA to cool the oil. Not really an issue for me as I'm putting aftermarket cooler on anyway.

Oil pumps are different to house the crank sensor

Alternator is different type, rating and connector

Then you need a TT wiring loom or you can modify your NA one and convert it from Distributor to coil pack and put in the links for cam and crank sensors