The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High Supra mileage - does it bother you?

CarlM

Pretty much most of them yes, that's what I believe. Over the past 13 years I've seen many a 'mint' Supra with a body and chassis condition, and interior wear, that reflects a much higher mileage than the magical 40k miles. And yes any car can be clocked, but with a UK car it's easier to track the mileage back, but as with any car you have to use your head and look at the overall condition and wear when purchasing.

With the age of our cars now, the mileage is pretty much a moot point

This, exactly. The Crown I had recently had a Japanese service history with it charting the mileage, this is the only absolute proof of mileage on an import car. You can BITMA the shit out of it but without absolute proof in front of your eyes, the mileage has be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also the last point is bang on, it infuriates me the amount of people who want a car with "less than 100k" on the clock. It makes absolutely zero difference to these engines, Ellis's car is a case in point, plus Ive seen an Aristo over 250k still sounding sweet. Its not 1940 any more.

yeah because no one is capable of creating a believable Japanese history? What you saw/have is good enough in your eyes and therefore probably will be to the next owner if there is one, that how I looked at it before buying my last one, but in all honesty you can only do so much. Too many people with black and white views when if ever a situation was many shades of grey it's this one!

Are all UK's rusty? no are all J spec cars clocked or crash damaged? no, do you need to suspect they are sure! service history, knowledge of previous owners, any docs including Bimta (at least it proves the starting point of UK mileage) Mot history all help you gain confidence, then an inspection of certain things should help to back this up.

As has been said and I agree, they are tough and so provided its been serviced well it doesn't matter so much.