The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with bonnet

Adam Kindness

I have a similar prob, when going over 100mph, the Red warning triangle would flash on, at the same time the 'door open' symbol . Bit worrying at first,but i found the alarm bonnet pin was set too high so would come on with the slightest 'lift' at speed of the bonnet.It was also stopping the 2nd catch from engaging proberly.Bit of adjustment and all is fine.....both catches engage!

P.S. Just a bit of useless info. At work, we are always told to 'drop' the bonnet,rather than push down on the panel, which may deform the rubbishy thin Honda bonnets :) Do this to all my cars now with no probs. Al.

To drop or not? One a car I use d to own I had an intermittent cut out problem . I was in a jam of the M4 when the thing cut out, my mate jumped out and hit the distributor and lowered the bonnet and gave it a shove. I had two lovely hand size dents in the bonnet until I got rid of it. I have dropped them shut ever since.

Back on topic, there is a bit of adjustment in the clips but it would appear not enough. I have helped out a couple of owners with a simple fix; a short piece of thin high density rubber wrapped round the bonnet U brackets, which were previously degreased, so the rubber can be stuck on with super glue, to make the bonnet U brackets a little thicker lasts about a year but keeps the bonnet shut tight. On the down side it is more difficult to open.

Guest Usmann A

Although there is an extra click to listen for when pushing the bonnet down, passenger side I think as someone said, but you lot need bonnet pins.....:cool:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p75244648b55662a35d7f3133f5a6afcc/fcc2fdc6.jpg

Originally posted by Adam Kindness

Recently it has been reported that my bonnet lifts up about 1" when traveling at speed...

Was reported when i past a few mates last week around 100 leptons....

The bonnet seems very secure when at standstill

any ideas?

Tighten the straps under your chin, theyve probably come a bit loose... or perhaps you could look into alternative more sensible headwear when driving your car? But if not.. this link here has some good tips.

Dudes, I was borrowing my sisters car on the way to Manchester yesterday (Rover 620i, felt like a wobbly jelly compared to my Supe!!!) and noticed a nice silver Supe coming alongside me. I had a good look and noticed his bonnet looked like it was lifting slightly too !!! Just like mine did !!!

My solution was too try and "bend" the bonnet a little at each front corner ... I then give it a good slam !!!

Then I realised that I nearly smashed both headlamps !!!

It seems to have worked, just thought you might like to know ....

:cool:

PS. I had to borrow my sisters car because I can't find anyone that can repair my 5-Zigen exhaust and didn't want to get deafened without a rear box on the car ...

• 4 years later...

nads. Now I'M having this. I know what it is too - the driver's side catch presses down but doesn't lock. The other one does, tested with a screwdriver! the driver's side one goes down all the way and then just flips back open.

Anyone know how to take one apart and tinker with it? If so I could use a pointer of what to look for!

Chars

C

I took the ones on Rosie's car out and pulled them apart and cleaned them up as they hadn't been used for so long they didn't work right. It's a bit of a mare getting them out, worse getting them in, due to access issues - but otherwise it's just some basic mechanicals with no real gotchas.

It was so long ago now though I can't remember any specifics :)

-Ian