The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with bonnet

Adam Kindness

If the catches are working properly (remember theres two of them) then theres no way the bonnet will lift. To say the stock bonnet catch system is 'sound' would be an understatement.

They are the sort of things that either work, or they don't. Not quite sure what can be happening here because if they were not working properly the bonnet would be lifted at a standstill.

It may just be that one catch is holding the bonnet down enough to not notice normally but is allowing lift at speed...

Whenever I close a Mk4 bonnet I ALWAYS push down on both the front corners to make sure both have caught. Theres a nice satisfying 'click' when they do.

Cheers

Nathan

TDI PLC

The passenger side of mine wouldn't shut properly, and it would light up the '!' and 'door open' light on the dash whenever I went more than 110mph as the bonnet lifted so much! Wasn't scary the first time, oh no.

You can undo the retaining bolts on the catch mechanism and raise it up a bit, and you can also screw the rubber stopper that the bonnet rests on down a bit, and that's all the adjustment I could find. I hoof my bonnet down from about 20-30cm high, that shuts it properly...

-Ian

You are missing two catches, one on each side, by the sound of it!

The centre one is the safety catch, the thing that holds the bonnet shut in case the release is pulled while driving or whatever. Most cars use that as the main bonnet catch as well but most cars don't have a bonnet the size of a football pitch :)

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

I hoof my bonnet down from about 20-30cm high, that shuts it properly...

-Ian

You animal :eek:

I just can't help wincing (not to be mistaken for mincing) when I see people drop their bonnets to shut them.

I'll never do it again after I did it with my Golf bonnet and put a nice little crease in it just where the catch was underneath.

Just a firm little push once slotted in is all it takes...

Nathan

TDI PLC