The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track cars!

Action Jackson

So me and 2 of my friends are looking at going 3 ways on a track toy for a bit of fun.

We have done this before apart from last time it was 5 of us (4 students I might add), a £100 Ford Ka and A LOT of fun! 6 track days later and the poor thing was shot, but it was a fantastic learning experience (both on the track and under the bonnet).

We are deliberating over using my MX5 1.8 or my mates RX8. Both cars would require a buy-in from the other members of the group. After that we would then all just inject a set amount of cash each month into a central bank account which we then piss away on track days and any maintenance/mods we want to do. It has worked great in the past as cutting the cost of a track day by 2/3 means you get some seriously cheap track time.

I want to ask you guys - what do you think we should go with? The RX8 is probably the better machine overall, but damn is it expensive to run. It also runs the risk of grenading itself depending on how well the power plant has been serviced. The MX5 is cheap as chips, cheap consumables and still RWD though.

I would love to hear peoples suggestions and their experience with track cars, especially if you like doing it on the cheap!

20141213_103032.jpg

If you are considering a purchase of another car, to avoid using the one you have, then our MX5 will be for sale, immediately after October 04th.

I can`t recommend it one way or the other, but will be able to after this date, (we only bought it as the day was booked, and our Kitcar will not be finished by then) as I am using it for the first time at Oulton Park.

It will be ready to go with Yellowstuff pads, new brake fluid, and sticky tyres.

My track car is also my daily. Mx5 10th anniversary edition. I've done 4 track days in it, all the same track and it's awesome. Just put some HKS Coilovers on to replace the standard comedy suspension. Obviously an mx5 isn't the quickest in a straight line but they are fast in the bends, parts are relatively cheap and widely available. If you are looking at mx5's I'd recommend a mk2, but make sure you buy one with an lsd.

Mine: rear cage will be next on the purchase list.

Edited by JayJay1374 (see edit history)

So here is the predicament:

The MX5 is mine, has some decent resale value as I have serviced/replaced a bunch of stuff that it needed doing (last thing on the list is bodywork). No mods, completely clean. I could resell it when I get my Supra and not lose much money. If we ding it on track I doubt I would make my cost of the car back with parts.

My mate on the other hand has said he will donate the RX8 to the project completely free, as long as we help him break it down for parts if/when it goes pop. The RX8 turns out has a bunch of stuff already done for track.

Starting to think RX8 just because theres less risk in it for me (against all of your advice, of course LOL).... I have tracked my MX5 a few times and its hilarious fun, but the RX8 is built on the same chassis, with same GB with a bunch more horses.

My previous was a ep3 type r which was good fun but cost £££ to get to the level it was at

My current is a saxo vts

Seriously underated cars and sure does shock the bigger boys when your forcing them out the way

It lacks a bit of straight line grunt which alot of cars pull away but people soon let you past when they realise how quick they are in corners

Mine is only cammed running 140hp but 900kg, big brakes and semi slicks

Its serious fun and you can literally throw it into corners flat out

Personally i would use a rx8 as a track car mx5 gets my vite out of the two

My previous was a ep3 type r which was good fun but cost £££ to get to the level it was at

My current is a saxo vts

Seriously underated cars and sure does shock the bigger boys when your forcing them out the way

It lacks a bit of straight line grunt which alot of cars pull away but people soon let you past when they realise how quick they are in corners

Mine is only cammed running 140hp but 900kg, big brakes and semi slicks

Its serious fun and you can literally throw it into corners flat out

Personally i would use a rx8 as a track car mx5 gets my vite out of the two

I know a few of the Stock Hatch racers, they all say the same thing about the Saxo VTS being one of the most underrated cars they have driven :D

I have considered racing quite a few times (basically racing or Supra first, im choosing Supra) and Stock Hatch has always been near the top of my list.