The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bastards!

Jake

Sorry to read this Jake and see the painful pictures. I can't (well, I suppose I can) believe that the Police can't be bothered to do anything. :thumbdown

I once had my car broken into 3 times in the same street (in bath); my mates was done and another friend as well (twice). On all occasions the Police just sent a "Dear Victim" letter and bugger-all else. I challenged them and they stated that it was a known 'hot-spot' for car crime - so I suggested that CCTV may be a good idea. 10 years later, still nothing, although I've moved...

I can't believe (from reading some of the posts here) that you are may not be allowed to film someone committing a crime, that's fucked!! :devil:

J

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe (from reading some of the posts here) that you are may not be allowed to film someone committing a crime, that's fucked!! :devil:

J

You need to have their consent first.

The police will not use any of the footage because it is 'inadmissible' but they might be more than happy to prosecute you, because you've breached the human rights of the criminals.

It does make one wonder about who the enemy really is :complain:

[your (concealed) CCTV footage may ofcourse be useful for your own archives. At least you may know who the perpetrators really are, not just suspect dodgy neighbours ]

You need to have their consent first.

The police will not use any of the footage because it is 'inadmissible' but they might be more than happy to prosecute you, because you've breached the human rights of the criminals.

It does make one wonder about who the enemy really is :complain:

Sorry John you're way off mark there.

Firstly, if you place a notice in a prominent place stating that you are recording and for what purpose ie prevent/detect crime. You don't need the consent of an individual to film them in a public place or on your own propery otherwise that would make any video taken in shopping centres and stores inadmissable. Where it would make it inadmissable would be if the video/surveillance is intrusive ie filiming i/s a dwelling house or suchlike. Completely different ballgame.

Secondly, a private individual CANNOT breach another's Human Rights. Only the State can or a body acting on behalf of the State can breach an individuals rights. Ie The Police, The NHS or even your local authority. And even then vicarious liability comes into it so the individual committing the breach is not liable but the head of that organisation.

Sorry John you're way off mark there.

I'm afraid I'm speaking from (painful) personal experience

Firstly, if you place a notice in a prominent place stating that you are recording and for what purpose ie prevent/detect crime.

you also need to register properly. That is a sure-fire way to get your camera(s) vandalised before any crime has been commited.

You don't need the consent of an individual to film them in a public place or on your own propery otherwise that would make any video taken in shopping centres and stores inadmissable.

That is admissible because they have been registered.

Where it would make it inadmissable would be if the video/surveillance is intrusive ie filiming i/s a dwelling house or suchlike. Completely different ballgame.

We're talking about a private parking lot here, not even a public space.

I don't know who was more ridiculous and cheeky, the thieves (I got closeups of their fat ugly faces, they were very cool and methodical) or the police (rejecting the footage point-blank and making all sorts of noises to go after ME)

Secondly, a private individual CANNOT breach another's Human Rights.

tell that to the clowns at Slough.

I don't think they were right in whatever they thought of the law, and frankly I don't care.

I never answered any of their calls or requests to visit their station. I just moved house, and let them play hide and seek with their petty criminals.

Guest gzaerojon
Hampshire Police have just rang me back. Apparently there's "no point" sending anyone out.

I told them the door has been opened, because because it's still not shut fully, but they weren't interested. I bet they'll come round quick enough when I beat the snot out of the next wanker that goes near my car

i dunno what to say! i really feel for ya.

i've only had something simular on my work van, window was smashed and they pushed it down the road to take the sterio. police said there's nothing they can do, but i went mad at em and they eventually sent someone out to take finger prints. no one was caught it m y case but i hope someones caught in yours. might be worth having a go at the police for a result?

*** UPDATE***

A neighbour knocked my door this afternoon, asking if I'd had my car window done in. Apparently he had the same thing done to his Jeep and two other folks in the road had theirs done to. All on the same night. Not bad going seeing as there's only 20 houses in our road. We live in a cul-de-sac and my house is in a group of 4 away from all the others, that's why I didn't know about the other damaged cars.

Seems odd that the police still haven't sent anyone out.

*** UPDATE***

A neighbour knocked my door this afternoon, asking if I'd had my car window done in. Apparently he had the same thing done to his Jeep and two other folks in the road had theirs done to. All on the same night. Not bad going seeing as there's only 20 houses in our road. We live in a cul-de-sac and my house is in a group of 4 away from all the others, that's why I didn't know about the other damaged cars.

Seems odd that the police still haven't sent anyone out.

I think you should all goto the local police station as a group or at least write a letter of complaint to the Chief Inspector and get everyone to sign it!

We had all the cars keyed in our street once luckily I was on holiday..since then everyone has better security as a result...I always look out for the neighbours these days as well as my own car...and they do the same...almost like an unofficial neighbourhood watch scheme...I wake up at the sound of leaves rustling even and Im straight out the front door at whatever hour..plus CCTV and security lights..are a good thing to have..only have to put them up once!

At least you know it was nothing personal Jake...

Regarding filming - I think it's two seperate issues. Yes you can video someone performing a crime (if it's in a public place you can video whoever you like) but it's a seperate issue as to if you could actually use that footage to prosecute someone.

If it was illegal to video someone committing a crime then every camera phone and video-equipped digital camera would need to come with a suitable warning.

afaik, you HAVE to show a sign in a prominent place to warn the little fuckers that a.) there's cctv about, and b.) that you'll prosecute them for breaking the law. Otherwise, it's not admissable evidence. Stupid, eh? Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of law apparently, but it bloody well is when some f**king pikey theiving scumbag 'didn't realise' their crimes were being recorded.

But it'd probably get thrown out of court anyway, thanks to those bloody namby pamby human rights activists who have no fecking clue whatsoever what the human rights act was for. The act was to maintain and/or improve the standard of life for people that suffer needlessly; not to keep some pikey little scrote from getting his back door kicked in by Bubba in the prison showers. [sorry, rant over!]

afaik, you HAVE to show a sign in a prominent place to warn the little fuckers that a.) there's cctv about, and b.) that you'll prosecute them for breaking the law. Otherwise, it's not admissable evidence. Stupid, eh?!

stupid or not, it's the LAW and we should all abide to it.

Frankly I didn't want to give the footage to my neighbour, because people outside our circle would then know that I had cameras and could also figure out the locations from the footage.

I was taken aback from the cops' reaction to having clear closeup shots of the theives' faces though. I would now refuse to admit to having cameras, and if confronted I'd claim they were not operational anyway. Less aggro with my "protectors" and less to tie me to any case of a scumbag getting accident-prone.

If nobody knows you've got footage, nobody can tie you later on. Sad, but that's how the situation has become in this country....

Catch em force feed em Cabbage, string em up by their shorts until their balls drop...then crush em with a nutcracker...little shits!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005430583,00.html

If you hit them (no, make that if you touch them), no make that if you talk to them in an abusive manner, you will be prosecuted by their parents/lawyers/social-services etc and risk losing your job/home.

All of a sudden 'distressed' and 'concerned' parents will appear, demanding justice.

If they live in council houses there is feck all you can do. Best case scenario is that you are awarded £5/month or whatever and the vandalism then moves two gears higher up. :rtfm:

• 7 months later...

**UPDATE**

Police phoned the other morning.

Apparently the juveniles that confessed to this, while being interviewed about "other matters", have been to court and fined £0 and given 40 hours community service. Apparently I was awarded £0 compensation for the nearly £600 damage to my car.

That'll teach 'em, eh?

I would have settled for their addresses. I would love to turn up on their doorstep and give their parents the bill - or do the same to their car. Either way, I'm not fussy.

But apparently I'm not allowed to know their identities. They have to protect these poor innocent babes, bless 'em.

:TriesNotToBeBitter:

:Fails:

But apparently I'm not allowed to know their identities. They have to protect these poor innocent babes, bless 'em.

:TriesNotToBeBitter:

:Fails:

:rlol:

Is it really the police' fault? Or is it more the courts? I try to take the law's side because I know a few coppers and their side of the story is as strong as everyone elses usually!

That dispatches program that's on this week won't help the publics view of cops either!!! Shit-stirring media again.

But in this case I have to say that is a crap verdict, and it does seem all too common that these people get away with it - maybe I should start siding with normal people rather than the law.