The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance upgrades. Diy or professional job?

herbiemercman

100% DIY, only time my car goes in someone elses hands is for MOT (Which is done by a friend anyway, proper thorough test though, i like to know my cars safe unlike those who get guaranteed passes) or mapping

For me its more satisfying owning a finished project knowing youve done the work yourself, not written a blank cheque to someone else

But it depends on how handy you are with a spanner of course

yep I'm just learning away, doing the servicing and stuff on all our cars now, saves a packet. Refurbed the brake caliper, have an exhaust to fit when its not raining. Cambelt is being done at the garage with MOT - not something I want to do wrong the cambelt.

How did you learn about mapping? I have to say this seems to be the least transferable skill, not only is it IMO more skilled than the nuts and bolts side of things but very few people are willing to divulge any info, so it seems all bar a few like yourself get it professionally mapped.

At the beginning I spent a lot of time researching on the internet and viewing multiple maps to start to make sense of it all. After that I decided to buy a standalone ECU (Aem Infinity), which no one in the UK knew how to map at the time.

To be honest with all the fail safes on these new ECU's it isn't too hard to start learning the basics. For example, you can setup fail safes for over boosting, running too lean, severe knock etc. This allows you to safely start with a base map and fine tune it to your specification.

It goes without saying, mapping ignition timing is for more advanced users. You need a good understanding of how ignition timing works and how different fuels, intake temperatures and boost can affect knock. By all means, I do not class myself as a professional, but I can't see how a professional can map my car any better. It currently pulls smoothly all the way to redline, boost and AFR's are rock solid with feedback off.

Few features I currently have & mapped:

12 position switch

Traction control (off below 50mph)

knock control

Rolling anti lag

Boost by gear and boost by rpm

Flex fuel

Lean and over boost protection

etc