The mkiv Supra Owners Club

gear knob

kevin smith

With the O/D button, cut the 2 wires, i tried to strip mine down and it exploded into millions of peices with the spring shooting out. Just cut and solder back on to avoid buying a used unit to salvage the od button.

Changing the auto shifter is simple once you bugger it up and go back at it like i did, the button surround pops out. There is a cover at the bottom of the shifter that pushes down revealing 2 screws. The shifter lifts up and cut the od wiring. With the cover at the bottom ive seen many including mine that dont want to go back on. I dabbed a bit of araldite (expoxy) inside it and held it in place and left to dry. Be neat with it, use masking tape to cover surroundings. And job done.

With the e-brake, remove the auto shifter and centre console. And for mine i needed a 17 and 19mm spanner for the 2 bolts, 10mm for the cable to loosen and then some movement of the cable to pull it of. All easy if you take your time to figure out how it all comes off.

From another forum - nothing to do with me just supplied for info.

You need to pull down the plastic ring around the base of the shift knob, that should reveal a set of Phillips head screws which needs to be removed.

Once they are undone, you should be able to remove the auto shift knob. Just watch out when you are pulling it upwards as the OD button will still be wired up and you may need to cut the wires to get the knob off completely.