The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Divided vs undivided, 2 gates vs 1

JackyBoi

I think it's also to do with preventing back pressure in the manifold, something an inline 6 surely still produces being an engine :p

Back pressure build up will be down to poor design. That's maybe why the Yanks struggled with a 50mm setup. 60mm single gates can flow much better to prevent the back pressure that causes boost issues.

I've got a 40mm gate on my setup and it is a tad small. Could do with being a little bigger

I'm with bignum and Ian here. I can't understand how a wastegate configuration aids rpm's relation to spool. A properly operating single wastegate will be closed just like twins would be until the turbo starts to spool and will only open at the pressure it's set to. If the answer is down to the fact that the gate creeps open then surely the tune is out?

As I posted above, it's more likely down to keeping the 'pulses' completely separate. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me, though.

As I posted above, it's more likely down to keeping the 'pulses' completely separate. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me, though.

But doesn't the wastegate work from the pressure reference it takes from the cold side of the turbo? i.e a divided or undivided exhaust side and amount of wastegates shouldn't make a difference as to whether it opens or not. It will always be determined by the pressure from the compressor of the turbo which is gradually building and not pulsing? This is just my understanding of it all really, not sure if it's correct or not :)

But doesn't the wastegate work from the pressure reference it takes from the cold side of the turbo? i.e a divided or undivided exhaust side and amount of wastegates shouldn't make a difference as to whether it opens or not. It will always be determined by the pressure from the compressor of the turbo which is gradually building and not pulsing? This is just my understanding of it all really, not sure if it's correct or not :)

Nothing to do with the wastegates themselves, having them is a byproduct of having the divide throughout the entire manifold - the 'pulses' should never, ever cross one another in these twin wastegate manifolds (if memory serves correctly)

Wow, lots of useful information! I think, for now, a single gate will be the way to go. If it gives me any issues, I can add another one :)

Only if you buy a new Manifold I am afraid :) , personally I would get the Paul's twin wastegate kit, 5 year anti-crack guarantee, Locally made for support, sounds awesome , tried and tested , no fitting issues

One of if not the best on the market

I've been thinking about this exact same thing for the past few weeks.. After reading through this, I kind of see now and am I'm leaning more towards the twin w/g.

However if your goal is to make the best noise, with a modern turbo setup. Is there a difference in harmonics between the 2 types of manifold?

SP's F1 manifold for example has a totally different sound to it, not sure if that's down to the material its of or what.