The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Faulty Race Logic Box???

SupraSapphire

If it was wired into the loom using the multi-way plug thingies that Racelogic supply you should be able to unplug it and plug the two remaining plugs together to restore the standard injector wiring. That will let you check the wiring of the plugs on the loom and ECU side and establish that it is the RLTC causing the problem.

e.g.

loom->plugA->plugB->RLTC->plugC->plugD->ECU

to:

loom->plugA->plugD->ECU

Incidently the VVTI ABS wiring is the same on facelift cars without the VVTI I think (I can't see Pete's first diagram to compare). The wires for that are in this thread. That's what I used and it works fine, but I haven't got a VVTI, so dunno about the ECU wiring. You could always take the RPM wire from behind the RPM gauge in the dash I guess ?

Originally posted by TRL Performance

Did you transfer the wheel reference data from the original Dat file to the new updated file?

Regards

Pete

You can only do that if the system has been calibrated before.

My original dat, the one supplied preinstalled would not let me calibrate. I had one e-mailed from RL to get the system to work.

The standard one should have the settings that are printed in the book, if you are lucky it may have 6 cylinders instead of four. I suspect there is non adjustable data embedded in the dat that may be crucial to the calibration function.

Originally posted by Martin F

The VVTi does give some advantages out of the box, but when it comes to tuning it can be a real struggle. Maybe in years to come this situation may change.

With all due respect to Martin, Chris and anyone else who has had problems with VVt-i's, I really cannot accept this statement.

Theres nothing we have come accross that has been a struggle and IMO the VVt-i actually has better potential, if only for the ability to use some pretty wild cam combinations and yet still drive like a stock car.

You CAN have your cake and eat it with a VVT-i.

Please, I'm not having a dig at anyone, but I just don't want people to get the impression that the VVT-i is a harder car to work with, or inferior in any way to the ealier cars.

Regards,

Nathan

TDI PLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Those photos came out really well Pete.

Here's the latest update in my RLTC diary -

Saturday 5th April - Took the car back to Chris. He checked over the wires. They all seem to be fine. He disconnected the RPM wire to see if this would make any difference to the starting problem. Sadly it didn't. We came to the conclusion that it is the box that is at fault.

Tuesday 15th April - Phoned Race Logic and arranged for them to send me a new unit.

Wednesday 16th April - New unit arrived.

Thursday 17th April - Plugged in the new unit and started the car from cold. It started no problem :) So it's looking good. I also connected a laptop to it and tried receiving the data file and it worked :D

I'm going back to Chris' tomorrow for him to reconnect the RPM wire and calibrate the system. I don't want to count my chickens before they've hacked but I think we may have solved the problem.

Only query remaining is which is the RPM wire? The Racelogic diagram shows a different one to Petes diagrams for the VVti?

I used the RLTC diagram, I think they showed it as grey and white, or black and white, from memory, which that pin did indeed have. Petes circuits show a different pin and a different colour..

I've just got back from Chris's. He has reconnected the RPM wire and setup the system with no further problems. Everything works as it should now :) so it was the Race Logic unit that was at fault.

Many thanks to Chris and Pete for sorting it all out and not giving up when nothing seemed to work. Thanks to everyone else on here who offered their advise too.

I'm going to send back the old unit on Monday. I'll ask RL if they can give me details of exactly what was wrong with the unit. By the way if anyone else is having similar problems and need RL to send them another unit; they won't send one until they receive the old one back. This can be a problem as the car won't run without the box. I arranged to pay for a new one on the understanding that they would give me a refund when they received the old unit.

Thanks again for everyone's help :thumbs:

Jon