The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Garden project

Marcus GTE

I've been wanting to do something about my back garden for a while and have finally got around to making a start on it.

It's on a slight slope so there is a run in the level of the lawn and also a small retaining wall in the middle of the garden that is an eyesore and a trip hazard for the future when my daughter starts walking.

I'm proposing to build small retaining wall at the fence, knock out the existing eyesore wall, dig up the lawn, level the ground by digging down in the high area and filling in the low area upto the top of the new wall, build in drainage in the form of a few soak aways (never done it) and finally prepare the ground and turf for what I hope will be a nice quality flat lawn.

So far I've dug out the foundation and poured and levelled the concrete.

Last night a builder friend of mine built me this wall. Just started raining as we laid the last block, so got away with it after the forecast was for heavy rain.

I was originally thinking about putting slabs down to have a BBQ area in the corner next to the house but I'm thinking of just keeping it simple and turfing the lot.

Has anyone done this before that has tips on building in drainage?

I was thinking of 2 or 3 holes staggered about with some type 1 stones and wood chip in it to act as soak aways.

I've got about a month to have everything completed and hopefully that will include letting the new lawn bed in for a few weeks before it's used.

I will be watching this one,

only just finished mine after i started last year.

Cheers :thumbs:

Hope it doesn't take me a year! ;)

Got any pics of yours, Before/ after?

I'm planning on banking the ground from the high levels of the grass at the fencing down to the new level so I don't need any more walls.

This is what i started with, cut the trees down.

Then leveled it up

Then ran new fence and gravel

Built wall and deck,

Built my son a climbing frame out of timber from local wood yard and finished some bits off

Took a year to do as i had to save up for the materials and bits.

I live like the waltons I'm on the end mum and dad in the middle and my sister on the other end. So I had to fence myself off a bit or I would have to share the garden.

Yours would look the nuts with a bit decked, then get some deck lights on the go, bbq and seating. Also you wouldn't have to cut the grass

I really dont envy you leveling it out, and it the heat. Its hard to see from your pics but how much is the difference in hight from high to low

Your work is pretty inspirational mate. What a difference!

You must be delighted with it now :)

The climbing frame is ace, the wife and I were just talking about the price of ones not even the same size as yours, over £1,000 easy!

I'm not looking forward to levelling it either, I would say one corner is about a foot and a half higher than the lowest point so I'm estimating shifting 20 tons by hand!

I'll see how I get on. I might enlist a hand if it gets obvious I'm in trouble but hopefully it should be ok.

I think trying to dig down evenly will be tricky but I'm going to hire a rotaviator to prepare the top soil once I'm near level so that should make raking it about a bit more manageable.

I've had the suggestion before about the decking on the dead space, which did have woodchip everywhere before the work started and it looked a mess (hated it before anyway, god knows why it was there. I think the house builders put a rubble drain under it).

The thing is I've already got a large decking area out the back of the kitchen and running the width of the house, so another big deck I think might be overkill.

I like the look and feel of a nice fresh cut lawn in the summer and I think extending it will make the garden feel bigger.

I'm also wanting it level for the future shoul we want to put in a swing etc.

The price of those climbing frames is a joke then they send it flat pack so you still have to build it yourself. I think mine cost £400 in wood.

If you already have a deck then turf it. Like you said a nice cut lawn for the little one to run around on and put toys/swings on would be better.

I would cheat and hire mini digger for a day £100ish and you would save a lot of back pain if you can get it in though a side gate.

That's £400 well spent, it looks great, and will last ages.

I'm seriously thinking about hiring an excavator. I'm just worried it might crack the slabs on the side access path to the house. Anyone got an idea if it would?

I took out the old wall today and I'll need to finish breaking up and removing the old foundation for it.

I'm currently thinking of how to backfill the new retaining wall. I have lots of rubble about that I could use that might help with drainage as I'm aware ideally it should be back filled with type 1 stones.

Foundation coming up too so it's not too close to the new surface

Started back filling the wall today after breaking up the old one.

Slow progress this week but I'm looking into hiring a mini digger in the next week hopefully and get it levelled and some drainage built in.

£150 for a micro digger and operator sounds like the way to go I think.

yeah they are fun but £25 and having a beer watching someone else do it is the way forward

My thinking too ;)

There will still be a chance to get my hands dirty as I'll be laying the turf.

I like a good garden project, wen we moved in 2012 we started with this...

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Tricky-Ricky13/DSCF0019_zps7rjkrzw4.jpg

With a little help from this and family, great fun!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Tricky-Ricky13/DSCF0024_zpsozepqr7x.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Tricky-Ricky13/DSCF0014%202_zpsvybtl1gy.jpg

We eventually ended up with this.....but then I got bored and decided to make the pond bigger.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Tricky-Ricky13/_MG_0215_zpsnhqhgr9f.jpg

And eventually we ended up with this.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/Tricky-Ricky13/IMG_2798_zpssvrqxn4w.jpg

I started off thinking I'd be happy with the garden in your first pic, but fair play, that last one looks amazing. We'll done :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

So tomorrow the project really gets going.

After being messed about trying to get someone with a micro digger on gum tree, it turns out I know someone who's father in law owns a company that hires them. He recommended a bigger machine for the amount of digging involved, so went with his advice.

I've had to take my back fence off to get it in, but should mean it takes less time & I only have to pay 1 days hire.

Hopefully by tomorrow the garden will be levelled (with some banking at the drop) and I'll also have a herring bone drain installed.

Cheers :)

It won't be anything extravagant, just a nice level lawn for my wee girl to be able to grow up playing on safely.

The pond does look cool, not toddler friendly though so not able to steal his idea!

Had a wee go in it, it was good fun and nobody died!... Which was nice.

Dig dig dig!

"Yes.. And if we get phase 3 complete before June we will be underbudget by...Oh!!.. A digger!!"- fast show bit we're he runs off to play with the digger while visiting the site.

Are you getting rid of the old grass or burying it?

If the latter, compact it well or as it rots down your new lawn will sink, compact it in layers.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have a word with my mate in the morning. I've arranged for a grab to uplift the excess late on tomorrow afternoon so it might be an idea to scrap the old lawn rather than burying it based on what you've said.

Good progress made today :)

Hole for soak away and drainage dug out.

I arranged a grab that worked out great! Same money as a skip, took more than one would take , and no wheelbarrowing anything out to the front of the house :)

Drainage being packed in.

Next job is to take out any remaining rocks, put some sand down and take it all level then turf it. Oh and put the back fence back on!

Really pleased with it so far!