The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ford Fiesta Airbags.....

ShawnPreece

A friend of mine has got a 04 plate Ford Fiesta and has just had a baby so he was wondering if there is any easy method of turning off the passenger airbag? he contacted ford who told him they can sell him a kit for a few hundred quid for it but he was wondering if there is an easy way to do it through chopping wires or anything simple like that?

There must be away I would have thought , maybe if he can get the back of the air bag its self and unplug it ? I know nothing about air bags though so it may have a capsitor or something that holds a charge and may still deploy.

Also whats wrong with the rear seat probably safer there then bodging some or the cars safety features wiring .

There should be a keyhole on either the passenger or driver side of the dashboard that gets concealed when the door is closed with a red circle showing the function. That's where it was on my 1999 Ford Focus so would assume the 04 fiesta has something similar

There must be away I would have thought , maybe if he can get the back of the air bag its self and unplug it ? I know nothing about air bags though so it may have a capsitor or something that holds a charge and may still deploy.

Also whats wrong with the rear seat probably safer there then bodging some or the cars safety features wiring .

I agree with the last bit about just using the rear seats but I think he wants to be able to use the front seat just so when its only him and his baby in the car he can keep an eye on him easier.

There should be a keyhole on either the passenger or driver side of the dashboard that gets concealed when the door is closed with a red circle showing the function. That's where it was on my 1999 Ford Focus so would assume the 04 fiesta has something similar

I thought the same so I asked him that but he said that there isnt any switch for it on either end of the dash and that they are just permanently on. I haven't personally looked at the car for anything it was just last night he asked me about it and I said id see if I could find anything out for him.

Seems like an optional extra on the fiesta, only £100-£200, might be worth taking it to a Ford stealership and getting a quote to have one retrofitted. Appears to be a common request

yeah think thats what he's going to have to end up doing now, I cant seem to find any easy way to bypass it from searching online. Thankyou for your help its much appreciated :)