The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Afr's usual behaviour

ballsdeep

Thanks Lyndon the igniter is tight but I recall messing with the location of the ignition coil so Il check this in the morning. If you remember I was having a very similar issue not long ago and thought I fixed it with your replacement ecu (if only it was that simple) I just hope it hasn't eaten another!

Only had 10mins so checked the easy things first, pulled the plugs all the same as this one.

(Check for spark tomorrow)

Then I moved onto checking the voltage on the igniter loom, now I tend to stay well clear of wiring issues as I have no idea what I'm doing so il post up what I found and maybe someone can give me a clue?

Instructions are too check igniter connection 2, disconnect plug check l2 with ign to on and start (voltage should be 9-14v)

Black red 11.79

Black white 0.07

Black orange 11.78

Red white 0.6

Red yellow 0.01

(Only managed to check while ignition in the on position)

Also checked ignition coil wiring but I was unsure which plug to test so did them both.

Instructions say disconnect and measure resistance between terminals in connector

Grey plug

Black orange 008

Brown black 0

Black plug

Black orange 008

Red black stayed 1 which I think is no Continuity?

(Should be - cold - 0.54 - 0.84 and Hot - 0.68 - 0.98)

I probably ballsed it up but hey I'm trying to learn!

So to the best of my abilities I checked the following:

Test e2 pin (tps loom) - checked ok

Beep test Tps & map sensor to ecu blue orange wire - tested ok

check voltage from ecu (IGF 58) - tested 4.9v

Ignition switch (E10 1) to coil tested ok

Resistance between coil terminals (grey and black plug no resistance???) need to look into this further I might be doing it wrong?

Ecu pin 64 too TPS IDL (2nd pin) tested ok

Also swapped out some parts:

Ht leads

Ignition Coil

Igniter

Now don't flame me but what I should have checked for first was a spark and guess what.. :twak:

I can swap out the plugs and distributor cap tomorrow but then what??

Any help please?

Have a feeling my recently purchased O2 sensor is goosed?

Afr was 13.5 after 20mins driving so I left it to idle, turned lights off it then dropped to 13.0 after 10 more minutes it was at 14.7 so opened bonnet to check ox1 pin (O2 sensor) which was 0.4v but AFR had dropped to 12.0 at this point?

Next step swap the O2 sensor?

I apologise, I am mad busy right now and don't have time to refresh my memory by reading all the thread, but a quick observation. Has it got a new stock thermostat? Can you log the water temps? Can you log water temps V fuelling? Is the fuel trim V water temp map sensible?

Get an MOT station to check your AFR readings against their sniffer, before buying a new sensor. Or pay a performance workshop to swap in their mapping wide band for a sanity check.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Can you log the water temps? Can you log water temps V fuelling? Is the fuel trim V water temp map sensible?.

what's the best way to do this? Sorry dummie here!!

I have replaced the coolant temp sensor and thermostat for oem parts, but the O2 sensor was changed a few months back for one from rockautos (recommended from someone on here)

I will look into getting the afr's checked with my local mot station!

Thanks chris

A stock type O2 sensor only reads and outputs accurately closely around stoichiometric. You need a wide band for accurate readings more widely either side of stoich. How are you getting these readings? My experience of none OE O2 sensors on many cars is they are plain not as good. You need to get someone with a decent wide band sensor verify your feras, there may well be nothing wrong with the sensor you have, just that you are trying to "see" readings it's incapable of giving with any accuracy.

I'm not 100% conviced the O2 sensor is faulty either. but something has caused the afr gauge to drop from 14.7 to 12 in the time it took me to open the bonnet to test the O2, so when I took the reading from the ox1 pin it must have been at 12afr which i understand will not be accurate so il swap it with my spare oem one just to confirm but this time make sure it's at stoich.

The afr readings are from my AEM afr gauge

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

Doesn't the AEM require a wide band sensor? I am not familiar with it, I use a Motec PLM here, so have never played with the AEM one.

Yes Im sure it does. normally the Bosch one. Is this where the emanage is getting its AFR feed from??

I have similar issues when my wideband sensor was knackered in my last one.

I am getting confused. this Rockauto O2 sensor, is this wideband or stock? Is there a second O2 sensor for the AEM meter? If there's a second sensor feeding the AEM is it a proper 5 wire wideband? I have no idea how the emanage gets its fuelling signal from, if indeed it gets one directly at all. Describe the whole O2 sensor(s) setup in detail to clarify please.

I'm not sure I may have read somewhere that there's an optional harness to plug the afr gauge to the e-manage ultimate, but first Iv found an easy way to test if the wideband sensor is working so maybe a job for the weekend.

I know I can be confusing at times so I do appreciate your help!!

Personally I wouldn't bother running the AEM wide-band signal to the EMU as its not very good at auto tuning anyway, yes you can log the output, but I think you can do this with the AEM software too.

Depending on your state of tune you may find that the wide-band sensor can get overheated and give rise to some odd readings, you could try fitting a heat sink.

• 1 month later...