The mkiv Supra Owners Club

550 injectors and hybrid turbos

Yarco

Hi

I've been searching for ages now and I can't find a definative answer. Will uk spec 550 injectors drop straight into my JDM TT6 and can I then run hybrid turbos at around 1.5 bar with a stock ECU? I'm already full BPU FYI.

I'm reading various opinions online and hoped someone had some first hand experience. :D

At 1.5bar the intake charge temps are going to be very high through the stock sequential system.

even with a big ass front mount? Im running the same set up but with the engine swapped into another car. Im personally looking into a remappable piggyback so I can keep stock ECU to control the auto.

TBH I'd rather save my money as it seems pointless to install hybrids for 0.1 bar extra. Is a single turbo my only option for 500hp+ then? or is there a way to retain the sequential set up?

Larger hybrid turbos will be flowing more air than the stock turbos at the same pressure, the problem is that the sequential system starts to become restrictive. You may make 450ish hp with hybrid turbos with supporting modifications (fueling, cooling ECU, cams, etc.). If you are looking for 500+ hp then the best route would be a small single (61-62mm) turbo install, again though you will need a lot of supporting parts for a reliable, long lasting build. If you go with a small, quality, double ball bearing turbo then spool up will be similar to the stock 1st turbo but with far more mid range and top end power. Have a look in mine and others garages and also the projects section, it should give you an idea of what is involved.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Larger hybrid turbos will be flowing more air than the stock turbos at the same pressure, the problem is that the sequential system starts to become restrictive. You may make 450ish hp with hybrid turbos with supporting modifications (fueling, cooling ECU, cams, etc.). If you are looking for 500+ hp then the best route would be a small single (61-62mm) turbo install, again though you will need a lot of supporting parts for a reliable, long lasting build. If you go with a small, quality, double ball bearing turbo then spool up will be similar to the stock 1st turbo but with far more mid range and top end power. Have a look in mine and others garages and also the projects section, it should give you an idea of what is involved.

Ye I understand. The only reason I wanted to keep the sequential system is so I get turbo pick up from 2k revs onwards. I was under impression that the single set up comes on boost at around 4k revs? Which means I've got to rev it hard to get boost!

Ye I understand. The only reason I wanted to keep the sequential system is so I get turbo pick up from 2k revs onwards. I was under impression that the single set up comes on boost at around 4k revs? Which means I've got to rev it hard to get boost!

My Garrett GT35R DBB turbo started to make positive boost at around 2.2k rpm, lag was never an issue, once moving it was a lot more responsive than the standard turbos. Below is a rough overlay of my GT35R dyno run compared with stock sequential Supra (redline).

My Garrett GT35R DBB turbo started to make positive boost at around 2.2k rpm, lag was never an issue, once moving it was a lot more responsive than the standard turbos. Below is a rough overlay of my GT35R dyno run compared with stock sequential Supra (redline).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/Mr2turbored/gt35rbputtjn0_zpsf54b81b9.jpg

On boost by 2.2k revs? I can live with that! I'm getting Syvecs soon so single conversion it is then! You can really see the difference in the power curve. The sequential set up clearly shows the 1st turbo changing over to the 2nd turbo with higher boost. On the single set up once you hit boost it's a continuous rise until peak power, cool. :thumbs:

You can get a small single to make boost by mid 2K RPM quite easily with a decent map and a tweak of the cam timing, I was making 10psi on a big GT4088 by 3,500RPM.

Ye but I enjoy the turbo starting earlier so I can get a whistle and dump at low revs (lol I'm a big kid). Plus I haven't got to rev the car hard to get some performance, I had enough of that with my old 2002 Civic Type R! Small single it is then :salute:

I ran 550cc injectors, blitz piggyback ecu and large hybrids and made 455bhp. I then changed to 1000cc injectors, syvecs and a methanol mix and I made 528bhp on the set up!

Obviously ive only listed a quick list of what I done! It's all in my build thread and my power figures are below (link in my sig)

I ran 550cc injectors, blitz piggyback ecu and large hybrids and made 455bhp. I then changed to 1000cc injectors, syvecs and a methanol mix and I made 528bhp on the set up!

Obviously ive only listed a quick list of what I done! It's all in my build thread and my power figures are below (link in my sig)

How did you avoid the high intake temps on the stock sequential set up? I was under the impression that 1.3 bar is the maximum the stock sequential system can take.

Edited by Yarco (see edit history)

My 528bhp is running TTC mode and 1.6bar, feels like a small single as it is! It's great fun and upsets a lot of cars lol

lol I just want to annoy BMW and Audi drivers. They think their cars are the best on road, which clearly gives them the right to tail gate everyone. :slap:

lol I just want to annoy BMW and Audi drivers. They think their cars are the best on road, which clearly gives them the right to tail gate everyone. :slap:

I upset a C63 AMG on the way back from JAE. I'm full BPU + Blitz ECU.

If you're not upsetting most of the German stuff that's about, you got issues. 😉

Things like TT RS's, and some of the RS4/5/6/8 etc can have not a lot of mods but free up a LOT of power. Jimojameso's TT RS is nippy... For a hairdressers car... :D

The other thing to bear in mind is, going big single and doing it properly can be a lot of money. And then you hit the brick wall that is autobox reliability at 500hp. You'll be wanting to get a built autobox to cope with it.

I do that already and if they get to close I just change the map for a couple of pops and to get this...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/23/d5be1f98a7a64271ea0b014be8b3e6cb.jpg

Then they tend to back off lol

*cough* MAX POWER FLAMER KIT *cough*

:p

The other thing to bear in mind is, going big single and doing it properly can be a lot of money. And then you hit the brick wall that is autobox reliability at 500hp. You'll be wanting to get a built autobox to cope with it.

I've got a brand new 6 speed getrag from Titan so not a problem. Plus a twin plate clutch :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been of the opinion hybrids are a waste of money - a false economy compared with going small single for that bit extra by eliminating the most restrictive item in the chain which is the stock mani, giving you a safer setup in the process which is typically far less laggy with the right turbo choice.

Both hybrids and a small single need the same supporting mods and with the single - being a brand new rather than remanufactured stock core - you avoid the high probability of the hybrids failing not long after install - the hybrids have a worryingly high failure rate.

If you need proof of hybrids pretty much being a waste of time over stock turbos, have a look at the drag racing hall of fame thread.