The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Young, Free & Big Single **UPDATED**

np89

In the meantime I had been discussing with mark what spec we were going to build the engine to and decided that we would go with

CP Forged 86.5mm Pistons

ARP Head Studs

Eagle Rods

ARP Rod Bolts

Clevite Bearings

HKS 1.3mm Gasket (required because of the amount we had to take off the block to get it straight again)

New Oil Pump

All new Genuine Toyota Seals and Gaskets

Fully Rebuilt head including valve guides (which due to the heat were completely dozed and rattling about in the head)

BC Dual Valve Springs & Retainers

OEM Oil Pump

Gates Belts

Titan Oil Drain Return - Braided this time instead of just radiator hose rubber :p lol

OEM Tensioner & Bearing

Febest Crank Pulley

Febest Idler Pulley

So with this in mind I decided to play shop on my living room floor:

2015-07-05 18.51.58_resized.jpg

IMG-20150819-WA0003.jpg

So I sent this all off to Diemax and it wasn't long before I started to receive back some exciting progress pictures:

received_955666324456044.jpeg received_955666334456043.jpeg received_955666351122708.jpeg

received_965289716827038.jpeg received_965289766827033.jpeg received_965289780160365.jpeg

received_965289860160357.jpeg received_965289873493689.jpeg received_965289893493687.jpeg

received_965290093493667.jpeg received_965290273493649.jpeg received_967730486582961.jpeg

And then one day this arrived:

received_968473593175317.jpeg

received_965507003471976.jpeg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So now that the engine had arrived back it really was time for me to get moving on my end and start preparing for the engine to go back in. In the meantime, there had been some doubt about the capability of the Exedy hyper clutch I had chosen and its ability to handle the sort of power the car was going to make so I was leaning towards another brand that I had a lot of faith in from previous cars, an ACT. However, at this point, as you can imagine, going manual and full forged engine rebuild in one year, money was starting to become a bit less abundant and I had to be a bit smarter as I still had a management system to worry about.

In truth, there was nothing really wrong with the Adaptronic E440D that I had been using, but I didn't really want any association whatsoever with the guy who had been at the root of all this to begin with so I sold it and was set on a Link G4+ Xtreme which which would open up my opportunities to different mappers.

I decided that I was going to go for an ACT TS2-HDG6 6 puk sprung paddle clutch and by happy coincidence, Powermax Engineering in Northern Ireland Sell both so I was able to work out a deal with them for both and kill two birds with one stone:

Snapchat-7749556714160239985.jpg

I also took some time and re-wrapped my manifold with some quality Titanium DEI heatwrap:

received_10153372232188401.jpeg

And it wasn't long before I ended up with something that looked a bit like this:

received_10153376312658401.jpeg

I also wrote a list of what was still to be done so I wouldn't forget!!lol

received_10153376327053401.jpeg

I thought I would just tag this on for anyone who is wondering about the R154 box conversing a Soarer/JZX100 box. With my car being auto, and I think this is the same for all autos be they UK or J-Spec, the rear prop section is splined and the centre bearing is mounted on the rear section, not the front section as in manual cars and also manual front props are a 4 bolt flange (although for 6 speed I believe they are splined).

20151121_190252_resized.jpg

20151121_190321_resized.jpg

So this then presents the problem of what prop are you supposed to use to join the front prop that came with the box to the rear section and the diff. I managed to get an NA auto prop from MattP on the site here which had the 4 bolt flange on the rear section so I could bolt it to my front section. However, there were two issues with this:

Firstly, because my car had a Large UK Spec diff and flange the spacing for the prop mounting points was wrong. The UK Spec Auto propshaft rear is quite thick and the flange to join to the rubber coupling is quite large, which meant that the smaller J-Spec NA Auto shaft spacing was too little and would not bolt up to my rubber coupling.

20151121_190301_resized.jpg

At this point I was at a bit of a loss and consulted the guys at Garage D, who advised I could either "stretch" the rubber coupling to fit up to my diff flange and bolt to my smaller prop - although this did present the issue of would it weaken the rubber coupling, and btw it doesn't stretch, I tried lol

The other option was to compress my rubber coupling to mate up to the smaller NA propshaft first and then mate it to the diff flange. This worked perfectly. I did this by lining up the holes in the propshaft flange to where I wanted them to go on the rubber coupling and in a circle, winding them in using M8 bolts and a nut on the other side. This gets you to a point where the little collar on the propshaft flange side is nearly face to face with the "cup" on the rubber coupling, pressed against it but not in it. When I got to this bit I "tapped" the side of the coupling with a hammer and the collars each popped into the cups where they were now held, I undid the M8 bolts and the propshaft stayed where it was.

For anyone trying this, it is easy enough but don't be alarmed if your rubber coupling looks a triangular shape after, that's just the way it is being held and it DOES rectify itself when you bolt it up to the diff flange. As the rubber coupling was originally matched to the diff flange the bolt holes were only now slightly out after the propshaft has pulled its mounting points. It was much easier on the diff flange under the car as the holes didn't have anywhere near as far to travel, but used the same method and the collars popped into the cups and the rubber coupling was now again the correct shape - of course whenever you have the cups and collars clicked into place you replace the bolts with the correct M12's as per OEM:

20151222_190006_resized.jpg

My last challenge in fitting up the prop was now, the overall length was fine and the two halves met as they should but the centre bearing mounting is on the front prop and this fell about an inch short of the mounting point on the underneath of the car. I'm not sure if this is a UK Spec thing or an Auto vs Manual thing, I've never heard of it before and it surprised me:

20151222_185900_resized.jpg

20151222_184752_resized.jpg

I couldn't move the mounting point on the car and trying a number of variations of the fixing of the centre bearing (plus I think its only really supposed to be on one way!) did not move the mounting point on the centre bearing carrier either. As this was a part that was going to see a fair bit of force I wanted to make sure it was mounted securely and not liable to move about under tension. I had thought about just bolting 2 bits of metal to the car and bolting them to the centre bearing carrier but I wasn't convinced that this would take the abuse at all so it called for a more "engineered" solution.

With the help of a friend who is fairly handy with a welder we actually split the top section off the bearing carrier on the old prop and modified the existing carrier so we could set a piece into it and then welded the two sections together so it was double skinned as per OEM the whole way round but gave us a second extended mounting point about an inch further forward:

Screenshot_2016-02-23-15-41-46.jpg

Screenshot_2016-02-23-15-41-30.jpg

Screenshot_2016-02-23-15-42-04.jpg

This worked perfectly and lined up with the original mounting point on the car. After this it was just a matter of bolting up the centre section and that was my propshaft sorted!

Edited by np89 (see edit history)

Thanks for the support guys, means alot! Be nice to have it on the road again after almost a year :/

Fair play to you for sticking with it Niall, I'd have had a meltdown long ago. Will be great to see it rolling :) Might get to hear that drager if you still have it fitted?

Fair play to you for sticking with it Niall, I'd have had a meltdown long ago. Will be great to see it rolling :) Might get to hear that drager if you still have it fitted?

Hah i literally got the drive from my house to the yard out of it! The plan is to stick with it though once finished!

Don't be fooled though there has been many a melt down over this car of late but had some good mates round me helping me get it sorted! #teampoints lol