The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help! supra not revving over 2k

ray007

Hi all, really relying on you helpful members for some advice

parked the car for 2 weeks whilst on holiday in barbados enjoying the top gear festival , now not revving over 2000 revs

Showing code 14 and 42 on diagnostic? Tried a spare ignitor and fuel pump no change at all

42 has been there for a while and I've had problems with the speedo which I think is the dodgy speedo converter

The car is a tt 5speed manual with 6speed ecu and clock

Any advice would be much appreciated

edit - now showing code 14 and 47

Edited by ray007 (see edit history)

Code 14 is "No IGF signal to ECU", so the ECU doesn't know if the ignition system is working. Could be a problem with your igniter pack.

Yup used a working igniter from a friends supra with no luck

Thanks for the info

Does it misfire and therefore not get past 2000rpm, or does it not matter how much you floor the throttle it just doesn't seem to have any power?

Yea sounds exactly like that

Just diagnosed it again, its was only showing up code 47

When disconnected both tps' getting 14, 41 and 47

Code 14 seems to disappear and appear again with a mind of its own, when re commecting the tps' s code 41 is gone just 14 and 47

Have you checked the plugs?

Plugs were changed recently and I dont think its the plugs as it was driving fine I switched the car off for a bit and then went back to it and started the car and the problems started

Plugs were changed recently and I dont think its the plugs as it was driving fine I switched the car off for a bit and then went back to it and started the car and the problems started

I'd check the plugs. Sounds like you're not firing on all cylinders. Years back my car got flooded because due to starting it and stopping it a few times. The plugs were sooty black because of the overfueling, cleaned them up and the job was done.

I'd check the plugs. Sounds like you're not firing on all cylinders. Years back my car got flooded because due to starting it and stopping it a few times. The plugs were sooty black because of the overfueling, cleaned them up and the job was done.

Actually come to think of it I will try that tomorrow as something similar happened to me about 2 winters ago however the car did rev higher..

Many thanks

If you floor it and it won't go past 2000rpm it's probably got a timing issue. Take the plug cover off, set the crank pulley to TDC, and see if the witness marks on the cam gears line up with the dints on the cam backing plate.

If you floor it and it won't go past 2000rpm it's probably got a timing issue. Take the plug cover off, set the crank pulley to TDC, and see if the witness marks on the cam gears line up with the dints on the cam backing plate.

Spot on mate, the timing is out!!

But I dont understand why this has happened, it did happen before when I used aftermarket cam pulleys woth new belt and tensioners which I then removed as timing had jumped and belt stretched etc, I had the stock new timing belt, stock cam pulleys and the same old tensioners and idler pulley installed and now its happened again about 2-3 months later.

Could the hydraulic tensioner be damaged because of the first incident maybe why the timing has skipped again?

Edited by ray007 (see edit history)

Hurrah! I got it right :D

I recently found my cambelt tensioner to be completely kerjiggered and got an OEM replacement for about £80. My symptom was a rattle as the revs dropped to idle and some horrible harmonic shunting took place. It never jumped a tooth though, despite there being about 4" deflection in the belt! I still trust said belt, looks new still :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hurrah! I got it right :D

shite.... got the bits and double checked the timing before I take everything apart and the timing is OK

was checking it with the wrong mark on the crank pulley..

I am so baffled now, still showing code 14, 41 and 47

I had this on Aristo when Throttle Position Sensor was throwing up a fault, could not make it go over 2k. ECU reset usually helped, it was caused by OBDII reader trying to read too much data from plug.

Would your car not go over 2k before this? Ive tried the ecu reset a few times still no difference and did you have any other codes?

Would your car not go over 2k before this? Ive tried the ecu reset a few times still no difference and did you have any other codes?

Before connecting OBDII reader car goes perfectly fine, then when i start extracting data from ECU, it seems like TPS loosing signal because of data flow to reader and throws up a fault. During TPS fault car cannot be revved over 2k and is very sluggish, almost not reacting to gas pedal. After i send "Clear" command and stop extracting data from ECU, everything goes back to normal. That's why i think your TPS is permanently faulty, try spare TPS to see if it will sort it out.

If it has an FCD I would check the wiring to it, and if there are no obvious issues try removing it (just join the yellow / black wires together again from the MAP sensor to the ECU, after cutting / unplugging the wires from them to the FCD itself.

Thanks bud just tried this with no joy

Before connecting OBDII reader car goes perfectly fine, then when i start extracting data from ECU, it seems like TPS loosing signal because of data flow to reader and throws up a fault. During TPS fault car cannot be revved over 2k and is very sluggish, almost not reacting to gas pedal. After i send "Clear" command and stop extracting data from ECU, everything goes back to normal. That's why i think your TPS is permanently faulty, try spare TPS to see if it will sort it out.

The problem started before I started diagnosing. . My car has been converted to manual so no need for the sub tps so I tried swapping them over with no joy

I also resetted the ecu a few times still no luck

• 2 weeks later...

I had quite same issue many years ago.

I plugged out crank position sensor & igniter(?, that black box) + cleaned those connectors properly. Newer had this broblem since.

so, if you have checked ignitor, check crank position sensor & connector + make sure that timing "ring" is ok.

Edited by kaahari (see edit history)