The mkiv Supra Owners Club

heat problem in cabin

jza800

I have for some time struggled with the heat inside the car, there will be a bit of heat out of the channels but not as hot as it should .. I can hear the rippling water inside the heater inside the car, so $ 100 question is, has I'm a dead heater inside the car, or how do I debug?

I have cleaned both hoses going to the heater, this has not helped ..

the cooling system is not leaking

It'll be underneath the lower glovebox, probably easiest to remove the passenger seat to have a look so you can get on your back. It's only 5 x 14mm bolts. Not sure but you may need to pull the carpet back which is easy enough.

Dunk gives good advice mate.

Edited by mull1986
Bit of dunk bum licking lol (see edit history)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]184528[/ATTACH]

Top right of my mat, long stick. The dirty brown stain under the carpet is where my heater matrix was leaking. Flooded the pass footwell

I have now checked that, and that was not the fault, everthing sad where it should...

the hose that goes in to the heater gets really hot, but if the heater is on full blast, the other hose is just half as hot as the other one, if i turn off the fan on the heater the hoses after a while off idle gets same hot...

i have for a while since fluched the hoses on the heater with no luck, yes the Water was rust red at first, but got it fluched away.. so i dont think i need to fluch Again..

I had a similar problem a few years ago so it might be worth checking, my matrix was changed

and when the hoses were re fitted the in feed hose went on the matrix outlet and the out feed

hose went on the matrix inlet.

We swapped these hoses round and problem solved once the system had bled through.

A few on here say it makes no difference which way round the hoses go but i can only

go on my experience and it fixed my car.

DSCF0545.JPG

Has it always been like this? Have you changed any coolant pipes?

Perhaps it is trapped air - Supra's are a PITA to get all the air out, it works to jack the front of the car up and massage the pipes to get the last of the air out.

Best to start with the easy/cheap fixes before throwing money at the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps it is trapped air - Supra's are a PITA to get all the air out, it works to jack the front of the car up and massage the pipes to get the last of the air out.

I think the heater system will do some self diagnosis if you look in the shop manual. I also think there's a heater water control valve somewhere that may not be fully opening. To be honest I have seen VERY few heater issues, they seem remarkably reliable, unlike Porsche 928's and Chrysler cars in general, which are astonishingly BAD :)

I had a similar problem a few years ago so it might be worth checking, my matrix was changed

and when the hoses were re fitted the in feed hose went on the matrix outlet and the out feed

hose went on the matrix inlet.

We swapped these hoses round and problem solved once the system had bled through.

A few on here say it makes no difference which way round the hoses go but i can only

go on my experience and it fixed my car.

i have checked that now, i mine sits like them on the Picture..

- - - Updated - - -

as i only drive my car when it is very good weather, i barely have any heat on the car. most a/c on.. so i dont now to be honest..

i have tried to get all the air out off the system, when i did the the front off the car was up in the air, so the cooler was the higest point to the air to go out..

- - - Updated - - -

I think the heater system will do some self diagnosis if you look in the shop manual. I also think there's a heater water control valve somewhere that may not be fully opening. To be honest I have seen VERY few heater issues, they seem remarkably reliable, unlike Porsche 928's and Chrysler cars in general, which are astonishingly BAD :)

i have tried to look in the manual.. but i cant find that, so do you now how???

E-mail me and I will reply with a screen shot from the parts listing. Looks like it could be inside the heater box. With the heater controls set to full hot and a garden hose on one of the pipes going through the bulkhead you should see a good flow out of the other pipe through the bulkhead. if not the matrix is presumably bunged up or the water valve isn't opening properly.

With the heater controls set to full hot and a garden hose on one of the pipes going through the bulkhead you should see a good flow out of the other pipe through the bulkhead. if not the matrix is presumably bunged up or the water valve isn't opening properly.

i did that, and there was i good flow out off the other hose..