The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'tps' Problem - Case Notes

Ewen

Since last post....

Took car in to Triton July 24th for a full service and also to see if they could spot owt obvious ref the TPS problem. The Supe had been behaving itself till then, since the diag codes were last read and ECU reset.

Problem happened again as the engineer drove the car into the shop.:p

Anyhoo, according to Triton, the only thing they could see that was 'wrong' was that the throttle cable had far too much slack at the throttle body spool. They adjusted it and have almost put money on this fixing the problem.

If they are right, they will get a kiss and I will have a little cry due to the obviousness of it all.

We shall see.

Since last post....

Took car in to Triton July 24th for a full service and also to see if they could spot owt obvious ref the TPS problem. The Supe had been behaving itself till then, since the diag codes were last read and ECU reset.

Problem happened again as the engineer drove the car into the shop.:p

Anyhoo, according to Triton, the only thing they could see that was 'wrong' was that the throttle cable had far too much slack at the throttle body spool. They adjusted it and have almost put money on this fixing the problem.

If they are right, they will get a kiss and I will have a little cry due to the obviousness of it all.

We shall see.

I tightened mine up too :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update

Since Tritons service and throttle cable adjustment, I enjoyed a couple of weeks of trouble-free Supra ownership. Then the problem came back with a vengeance. Did a trip to Brighton, and it happened five times on the way there...once when I was overtaking, scared the shit out of me. No problems on the way home and for a few days after that, but its once a day now.

Next step is to prove the TC has nothing to do with it. Its never happened whilst TC is OFF, but its not off often. Humour me on this one.

Next, once I've put the TC theory to bed I'll remove the de-limiter / converter (or rather I'll ask Triton to do it).

May replace the MAF as well, and Im getting a new O2 sensor from Nic (oops, Id better pay for that:blink:)

If that aint it, we are into big money. Had a great chat with JEM in London. Loads of Lexii (?) have the same TPS problem as me, and the TPS fails regularly with intermittant and random periods of good and limp-home. According to JEM, replacing the entire throttle body is the only way to go.....in their opinion, the TPS is virtually impossible to calibrate and many have tried and failed. I could assume that my original TPS went belly up, and the new one I had fitted last year wasnt calibrated properly, but I will never know will I. Buying the whole assembly ensures you get a pre-set up set of sensors. Anyone who feels this is innacurate, please let me know. £720 plus fitting from Mr.T. is half my BPU budget. A suggestion from JEM was to 'borrow' another VVTI throttle body complete, and try that for a while.

I'll tidy this thread up when I have more news.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest supracar1995na

How has this problem worked out for you?I'm having a similar problem with my 95 n/a 5-speed.Except I have other symptoms also with my a/c and cruise.I have had a suggestion from another forum to cut some wires in the dash and do some bypassing but I just wondered what happened with your problem???

How has this problem worked out for you?I'm having a similar problem with my 95 n/a 5-speed.Except I have other symptoms also with my a/c and cruise.I have had a suggestion from another forum to cut some wires in the dash and do some bypassing but I just wondered what happened with your problem???

This is purely to do with the VVTi Throttle.

Please start a new thread about your non-vvti throttle, to avoid derailing this thread.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
He did... but I pointed him at this one, as this was also about code 42, for some possible tips.

Sorry for the confusion over the codes....as I've said in edits to earlier posts, it was never code 42. It was OBDII code P1120 and also more recently P1121 too. Why the garage originally told me it was code 42 I'll never know. I've since had the codes read by another company.

Update.

Had a brand new Throttle Body Assembly fitted on the 3rd of Oct, Odo @ 30,400 miles. This assembly comes with factory calibrated Throttle Position and Actual Pedal Position sensors etc.

The old TB was extremely clean inside.

The fault was happening daily (sometimes two or three times a day) before the throttle body was fitted. Since fitting, the car has run absolutely fine. Since fitting new TB, after starting from cold it takes far longer for the revs at idle to die down to 'warm' idle of 600 ish rpm. I would also swear that the autobox changes up and down differently / at different speeds. Throttle response 'seems' more instant at lower speeds. Could be my imagination ?.

So, assuming this has fixed the problem, we still dont know for sure which sensor (TPS or APPS or both) was playing up (which one is Pedal Position Sensor Switch A ?) as I've effectively replaced both now.

Its reasonable to suggest that the TPS fitted when new went intermittantly awry, and the replacement TPS I had fitted last year was not fitted / calibrated correctly, hence intermittantly kicking up ever since.

Notes...

De-limiter / converter has not been looked at.

Connections / solder joints etc have not been looked at.

Weathers not so hot at the moment...heat theory not fully resolved.

How much was the new throttle body out of interest? Glad to hear it looks like it's been resolved. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you this time Ewen...

The TB isn't cheap for the VVTi...its the metal + all the sensors...Ewen posted a cost above of £720!

Yup, £670 including vat and a friendly discount from Mr.T.

A gamble perhaps, considering the things some have suggested but I havent yet tried. I got so pissed off I went for the jugular. If it re-occurs, I may not take it very well:)

Yup, £670 including vat and a friendly discount from Mr.T.

A gamble perhaps, considering the things some have suggested but I havent yet tried. I got so pissed off I went for the jugular. If it re-occurs, I may not take it very well:)

Cheap VVTi coming up for sale soon lads! ;)

There is one last resort...the de-limiter/wiring...so don't scream straight away IF it happens but I'd love to think this was it - as I'm sure you do to!

Do you have the old throttle body still for testing purposes?

Cheap VVTi coming up for sale soon lads! ;)

There is one last resort...the de-limiter/wiring...so don't scream straight away IF it happens but I'd love to think this was it - as I'm sure you do to!

Do you have the old throttle body still for testing purposes?

:) Nah, I'm in this too deep. Shes going to have to put up with me for a fair while yet. Yes I've still got the old TB assy, c/w sensors still attached....what are you thinking ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ewan, I have just joined you on this. Before I had my car rebuilt (engije and gearbox) and before the problems I had a couple of moments where the car lost it on accelarating gently up then when the box chenged t 3rd in full auto it needed another couple of inches pedal to restore the revs.

Now following the rebuild MKiVStore hit probelms straight away with kickdown and clunky gear changes they have removed the delimiter and all seems sweet. I think they also rebuilt the gearings in the throttle assembly at some point.

My question is to you though.... now things seem cool with yours, are you planning to put the Blitz sonic back on as I am currently running a Blitz SUS and will keep an eye on this old problem reappearing.

......My question is to you though.... now things seem cool with yours, are you planning to put the Blitz sonic back on as I am currently running a Blitz SUS and will keep an eye on this old problem reappearing.

:) I freely admit to buying the Blitz Sonic without any research...I lusted after one and I'm a sucker for anodised ally. It looked and sounded great, but tbh I didnt notice any advantage whatsoever with it fitted. I took it off mainly due to the considered arguments posted frequently previously, and also to see if it made a difference to the problem I had above. It looks pretty certain that it was co-incidence that the car ran fine for quite a while immediately after taking the Sonic off, so Id feel safe putting it back on as far as that goes, but I for one am convinced the Supra is better off without it.

• 4 months later...

No problems since the throttle body was changed?

I have a similar problem, but it seems to be related somewhat to my emanage ultimate. the problem only ever occured a couple times when i was stock, but each time they go tweaking the emu, it seems the FBW/TPS always trip out into that limp home mode.

No problems since the throttle body was changed?

I have a similar problem, but it seems to be related somewhat to my emanage ultimate. the problem only ever occured a couple times when i was stock, but each time they go tweaking the emu, it seems the FBW/TPS always trip out into that limp home mode.

Tempting fate here, but no, absolutely no problems since replacing the throttle body assy c/w TPS sensor.