The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey guys, I'm Jack

Guest CaptainJack

That's impressive, and I presume you did all the installations on the car?

The mpg and insurance costs are the only things which I'm concerned with the most because of my age and since I'm still a student

Also, I watched a few videos and did some research on tuning cars and found out that when properly tuned, it can increase mpg AND increase horsepower or keep the horsepower to what it originally was, but you have better mileage.

Does anyone know about this?

If that's ECU remapping you were looking at, the stock Supra ECU can't be remapped.

As above though, MPG will never be good really but speed and fun to be had outweighs that. And if you can afford it, you could have a second car as a runaround :)

Having owned several cars I can honestly say the NA supra is one of the EASIEST cars in the world to work on. Tons of room in the engine bay to work,

In some respects they're a PITA, a spark plug change is not a 5 minute job on an NA, and is much easier on a TT. The oil filter is also a pain the first time you do one (not so bad when you've got the nack.) Otherwise, they're tough, simple and reliable. I know one member doesn't even bother with oil changes on his NA! :D

I brought my import TT when I was 22, insurance was just under £1000 with admiral (parents on insurance as named drivers) but that was a few years ago and I'm female. I now pay only £400 a year :)

It's defiantly worth doing quotes with admiral, I did quotes with them before buying my car for a UK model and an import and it didn't make that much difference. Put your parents on as named drivers to, brings the price down.

In some respects they're a PITA, a spark plug change is not a 5 minute job on an NA, and is much easier on a TT. The oil filter is also a pain the first time you do one (not so bad when you've got the nack.) Otherwise, they're tough, simple and reliable. I know one member doesn't even bother with oil changes on his NA! :D

Had the same problem with Plugs on my r33 gtst.

But really just 2 bolts on the TB bracket above the exhaust manifold and the six bolts on the runners on the plenum and off it comes

turns a 5 min job into a 30 min one but not so bad every 3 years or so!

Guest CaptainJack
If that's ECU remapping you were looking at, the stock Supra ECU can't be remapped.

As above though, MPG will never be good really but speed and fun to be had outweighs that. And if you can afford it, you could have a second car as a runaround :)

Why not? D:

I won't be able to afford one, funds would be low if I owned a Supra, if I had a second car I'd be working non stop all day everyday!

Guest CaptainJack
I brought my import TT when I was 22, insurance was just under £1000 with admiral (parents on insurance as named drivers) but that was a few years ago and I'm female. I now pay only £400 a year :)

It's defiantly worth doing quotes with admiral, I did quotes with them before buying my car for a UK model and an import and it didn't make that much difference. Put your parents on as named drivers to, brings the price down.

That low?!

That's really good for someone under 25!

This is really helpful information, thank you for letting me know!

To put some slight perspective i dreamed of owning a Supra at uni, did the sums and quickly dismissed the idea!

Been out of uni four years this summer and have just went about importing a car. By the time it gets here i'll be 26 and i'm struggling to find insurance under £1000 and thats as a second car on 3-4000 miles a year!

As has been said, if you're intent on getting one i'd recommend a SZ in the meantime. Get out of uni, save some money then get a TT6! Also worth bearing in mind that Supra prices, especially TT6 cars in good condition, are on the up in Japan as cars are getting harder to find.

Have a look at at insurance costs before making a desission to see if you think you'll be able to live with it. I'd guess you'd spend somewhere around £70 per week on fuel including weekend based on the miles you meantioned. Things can be expensive come mot time if you need tyres etc as it's not a budget car.

Having said all that, I think everyone is trying to help just making sure you don't cripple yourself running one but only you will be able to make the desission. I also think it balances out as you get a lot of car for the money compaired to the run of the mill hatchback that you can end up spending more to buy but be cheaper on fuel; a supra is relatively cheap to buy (n/a) but more expensive than average to run being 3.0 litre and old car needing tlc now and again.

Personally I always just made it work and jumped in with both feet at first.

Good luck

Guest CaptainJack
To put some slight perspective i dreamed of owning a Supra at uni, did the sums and quickly dismissed the idea!

Been out of uni four years this summer and have just went about importing a car. By the time it gets here i'll be 26 and i'm struggling to find insurance under £1000 and thats as a second car on 3-4000 miles a year!

As has been said, if you're intent on getting one i'd recommend a SZ in the meantime. Get out of uni, save some money then get a TT6! Also worth bearing in mind that Supra prices, especially TT6 cars in good condition, are on the up in Japan as cars are getting harder to find.

That was pretty much my initial idea, I can't afford to spend too much and since a twin turbo, or even single turbo supra will drink hard, there would be literally no way for me to afford the car.

Thank you for your help, I'll take note of everything!

Guest CaptainJack
Have a look at at insurance costs before making a desission to see if you think you'll be able to live with it. I'd guess you'd spend somewhere around £70 per week on fuel including weekend based on the miles you meantioned. Things can be expensive come mot time if you need tyres etc as it's not a budget car.

Having said all that, I think everyone is trying to help just making sure you don't cripple yourself running one but only you will be able to make the desission. I also think it balances out as you get a lot of car for the money compaired to the run of the mill hatchback that you can end up spending more to buy but be cheaper on fuel; a supra is relatively cheap to buy (n/a) but more expensive than average to run being 3.0 litre and old car needing tlc now and again.

Personally I always just made it work and jumped in with both feet at first.

Good luck

Definitely will, just need to find a good deal!

I understand that, and I'm really grateful of everyone's input on this, I'm glad there's trustworthy people on this forum.

Thank you.

That was pretty much my initial idea, I can't afford to spend too much and since a twin turbo, or even single turbo supra will drink hard, there would be literally no way for me to afford the car.

Thank you for your help, I'll take note of everything!

Hi jack, the single turbo isnt a standard thing, it is a highly modded Twin turbo. It would kill you to insure.

Guest CaptainJack
Hi jack, the single turbo isnt a standard thing, it is a highly modded Twin turbo. It would kill you to insure.

It definitely would, if I am going to buy a Supra it'll be NA without a shadow of a doubt