The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Noise from under car on cold start.

Gretie22

I'll see if if quieten's down when I put it in drive next time it happens. I wouldn't know, as I always wait till the cars almost at full operating temperature before driving away especially when it's cold out, so by the time I put it in drive the noise has stopped. I'm paranoid of doing damage to the turbos, it winds my partner up a treat sitting in the car for 10 minutes before we go anywhere :p

My money's on an exhaust blow from one header/port.

That wouldn't make a spinning noise though. I think I'll just have to get it up in the air and have a proper look to see where it's coming from but knowing my luck it wouldn't make the bloody noise when I'm able to get underneath.

- - - Updated - - -

My money's on an exhaust blow from one header/port.

That wouldn't make a spinning noise though. I think I'll just have to get it up in the air and have a proper look to see where it's coming from but knowing my luck it wouldn't make the bloody noise when I'm able to get underneath.

It may sound like a spinning noise though. If it's only coming from one port it'll happen faster as the engine revs faster, as a rotation noise would. Might be worth popping the aux belt off and running it momentarily to see if the noise is still present. If it is, it's none of the pulleys on the front. That doesn't rule out anything turning behind the plastic covers, but if you said it's definitely under the car and not under the bonnet, you're pretty much looking at an exhaust blow or gearbox I'd have thought.

• 2 weeks later...

mine dont it yesterday, been away so havint driven it in 8 days ish. started it yesterday, pulled it out of the garage to give it a wash, there it was, can sound fairly loud too i find. i wouldint be suprised if it was gearbox related. thankfully the autobox is cheap enough, if it is that, its just finding a low mileage box.