The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto - What sort of launching life do they have?

Scott

With the auto boxes, how much punishment can they take with regards to launching? Does the torque convertor or any other parts take a major hit when brake boosting etc?

First time having an auto so want to have fun but don't want to break anything lol.

With the auto boxes, how much punishment can they take with regards to launching? Does the torque convertor or any other parts take a major hit when brake boosting etc?

First time having an auto so want to have fun but don't want to break anything lol.

Are we talking stock power? BPU? Small single? Generally the autobox is fine for break boosting at pretty much any power level, but by the time you get to 550-600 single and keep doing brake boosting for drag runs the box probably hasn't got long left, BPU/stock levels of power they are pretty good for quite a while, just depends how often you planning on doing such a thing with the box, if its like every weekend it won't last long, hope that helps.

The BM ZF Auto box is pretty good, just make sure you get the fluid and strainer swapped every 40k I think my mechanic recommends.

Not sure on brake boosting them though.... Sorry!

Cheers mate. Yeah I read they are sealed "for life" but to take that with a pinch of salt :)

Are we talking stock power? BPU? Small single? Generally the autobox is fine for break boosting at pretty much any power level, but by the time you get to 550-600 single and keep doing brake boosting for drag runs the box probably hasn't got long left, BPU/stock levels of power they are pretty good for quite a while, just depends how often you planning on doing such a thing with the box, if its like every weekend it won't last long, hope that helps.

BMW 535D bud lol. The bimmer forum is absolutely useless though so thought I would be better to get some insight over here.

I guess to compare the boxes would be BPU levels, as I'm not taking the car past what it can do while remaining mechanically stock. I'm making the assumption that autos in general will have similar frailties when comparing similar stock power.

Obviously with a manual box burning out the clutch with too many launches is to be considered. Just wondering if there are the same wear parts in an auto, when driving in that style. I'm guessing that the part that's going to take the hit is the torque converter as it's this part that "slips" is it not? seems to slip just above 2k, maybe till 2.5k with the brake pressed. I find launching at 2k to be spot on. Just wondering if I should be warey of how often I do it or whether just being careful not to hold it for any length of time during a launch is enough to help with longevity.

Obviously not doing it at all would be the best way to help it last long, but I want to have some fun so looking for a happy medium :)

I managed 5.2sec 0-60 though, it's up at 6.2 without brake boosting :D

I bought a 320d last week and i'm impressed with that, its a lovely car to drive and quite nippy too, so I can imagine how much power the 3.5 has.

0-60 in 5.2 seconds is pretty impressive for the size and weight of the car :D, hows your mpg doing?, I'm currently managing 53 to the gallon but I live in the Cumbrian mountains so thats pretty good.

I bought a 320d last week and i'm impressed with that, its a lovely car to drive and quite nippy too, so I can imagine how much power the 3.5 has.

0-60 in 5.2 seconds is pretty impressive for the size and weight of the car :D, hows your mpg doing?, I'm currently managing 53 to the gallon but I live in the Cumbrian mountains so thats pretty good.

It's actually a 3.0L, the numbers confuse me too lol. I always remember them being in relation to the engine size but that's not the case anymore. There are 318s that are 2.0L and 320s that are actually 2.2 etc. The 325D is a 3.0L too lol.

MPG is currently at 38. I managed 43 on the way home (all motorway). Considering the performance of the car I'm quite happy with it. Also, that 38 is based on me just having the car and showing friends/family what it can do :D

It's actually a 3.0L, the numbers confuse me too lol. I always remember them being in relation to the engine size but that's not the case anymore. There are 318s that are 2.0L and 320s that are actually 2.2 etc. The 325D is a 3.0L too lol.

MPG is currently at 38. I managed 43 on the way home (all motorway). Considering the performance of the car I'm quite happy with it. Also, that 38 is based on me just having the car and showing friends/family what it can do :D

Ah, I didn't know that, always assumed the last two digits was the engine size :)

Yeah 38mpg seems very reasonable on the grand scale of things. Is the new car going to put you off finishing the supra though? :D, I'd convinced myself the 320 was a better car to drive than my BPU supra all week, then I took it for a long blast over the weekend and changed my mind again, I can't see me ever getting shot of the old toyota, It never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Ah, I didn't know that, always assumed the last two digits was the engine size :)

Yeah 38mpg seems very reasonable on the grand scale of things. Is the new car going to put you off finishing the supra though? :D, I'd convinced myself the 320 was a better car to drive than my BPU supra all week, then I took it for a long blast over the weekend and changed my mind again, I can't see me ever getting shot of the old toyota, It never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Na not at all, I'm still plodding away with the old girl lol. Having said that I've not been out for a week or 2 as I was waiting on some bits that came last week. No excuses now :D

Since when did Shakespeare get into racing... my career has improved slightly since then... slightly. :D

Brake boosting rocks...

Attempt 1 TC on, no brake boosting 0-60 6.2 seconds

Attempt 2 TC off, brake boosting 0-60 4.69 seconds (downhill)

Attempt 3 TC off, brake boosting 0-60 5.2 Seconds

Now that's progress :D

Brake boosting rocks...

Attempt 1 TC on, no brake boosting 0-60 6.2 seconds

Attempt 2 TC off, brake boosting 0-60 4.69 seconds (downhill)

Attempt 3 TC off, brake boosting 0-60 5.2 Seconds

Now that's progress :D

Were you on an American drag strip? :D

That's pretty impressive, what did you use to record the time?

Used this :D

Yeah it was the onslip onto the motorway I tried it out on. Got a 13.5sec 1/4 mile, and that was letting off way early.... all because of the downhill :D

Woah, didn't even see that come up for sale! Perfect, was wondering how you got the time so accurate! That is VERY impressive for such a big car!

Woah, didn't even see that come up for sale! Perfect, was wondering how you got the time so accurate! That is VERY impressive for such a big car!

Yeah it's unreal the way it shifts.

However, I don't want to break my box for the sake of a second :D

Oh, as a side note, when using the manual flappy paddles and having it in second.... if you are going relatively slow and floor it.... the torque converter slips to 2krpm and then locks before all hell lets loose.

With that in mind it would suggest to me that what I'm doing with the brake boosting is actually a standard function anyway. Does that sound about right?

Don't hold it for more than about 4 seconds and you'll be fine. The slippage is done via fluid so nothing wears out, but it heats up mega fast as all the energy has to go somewhere.

Now bugger off you of mkiv tech into non-supra tech :p :D