The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange Noise

Adam Kindness

Quote: from Adam Kindness on 12:53 am on Feb. 19, 2002[br]another wee note... only happens in gear too

If it's only above 3000rpm and only in gear, and only in 3rd and above, it must be 'engine whilst under load' related.  3000rpm is just when the prespooling of #2 turbo starts, so maybe the EGBV vacuum line is split?

You wouldn't notice a power loss from this, but you may notice a more pronounced transition to the second turbo...

-Ian

is it a sort of fluttering sound, sort of like an air leak stopping and starting again very quickly. if it is i have this noise too & i think its the gearbox, im not sure if its a normal sound but im due for an investigation soon (fluid change etc) b4 my warranty expires.

i only realy hear this noise when going past walls with windows down.

Quote: from Adam Kindness on 1:32 pm on Feb. 19, 2002[br]its in all gears... dont think id hear it at 3000rpm in 3rd... as you only hear it when the windows are down....

Where's this vacuum pipe located, so i can give a quick check?

EGBV - exhaust gas ??? valve (blowoff?)

cheers for all the help tho :)

Exhaust Gas Bypass Valve.  It's actualtor looks a bit like a wastegate actuator, and it's slung under the #2 turbo.  This means it's an absolute arse to get to...  At the back of the engine, coming off #2 turbo, you have the induction pipe post-compressor.  This has a boxy bit on it with a VSV attached, and that's your Intake Air Control Valve.  under that, bolted onto the #2 turbo, is the EGBV.

I need a good picture of the engine bay to point it out...  Any about?  

Regarding the noise, you would probably hear it in all gears, dunno where I got the idea that it was only in 3rd upwards...

-Ian

Guest Martin F

Adam i can't remember whether you have a boost controller in your car or not.

But looking at your engine bay pics, it would look like it's had one in at some point as one of the wastegate\associated VSV hoses has been replaced and has no clip on it.

The lack of a clip is not too worrying in itself, although you should replace it at some point, but IMHO you should check around this area and make sure all the plumbing is correct.

Now this is not going to be easy, because it is quite a complex system. My best suggestion would be to meet up with another Supra owner and visually compare the systems.

The pipe in question is one of the two at the front of the turbo's that goes down through a protective sleeve and to the vsv or possibly direct to the wastegate, can't remember exactly where it goes without looking it up..... :)

I'm not saying this is the source of your noise, but it's worth checking.